Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

Herbal Information Site

oakleif
15 years ago

Came across another herbal information site and thought i'd pass it on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbal Information Site

Comments (8)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

congratulations, this is your first post on herbalism in quite a while, glad to see you participating.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Based on a limited review of this website, "Herbal Ed" does seem to provide some useful information.

One obvious problem is that Ed places a great deal of importance on his own experience in using herbs and that of other practitioners over the ages, suggesting his observations are as good as the evidence of randomized, controlled scientific trials. The trouble with this idea is that individual practitioners (whether herbalists or physicians) are prone to confirmation bias and other errors that creep into their practice and are held onto even when contrary evidence emerges (note that Ed is quick to condemn a negative study about echinacea, first noting that it is just one of numerous studies, some of which favor Echinacea in preventing colds, and also referring back to the experience of practitioners like himself. Ed does not distinguish between quality large-scale trials and anecdotal reports in the literature (which are much less reliable), and again makes that mistake of assuming that personal observations are equal to large-scale testing under controlled conditions).

In using this site I'd make sure that Ed's observations are backed up by better-trained herbalists and adequate testing.

I also congratulate oakleif for doing a post on herbalism.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A first, finally recognized for one of many herbs i've mentioned. However knowing how ignorant you are in herbal lore. hope everyone ignores you. eric i'll take Herbal Eds recommandations over yours any day of the week.
    Your saying practioners can be biased? We all know your not biased. Right!!!!?

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

My post congratulated you, how could herbal ignorance come in to play there?

• oakleif
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Because you're ignorance of herbs is so obvious it is an insult for you to agree with me and i'd rather you did'nt.Your age don't help any either.

I've injoyed this bickering with you. It's so easy. But i've got serious work to do. I've got rid of all my frustration for now. So everyone else will have to babysit you and eric for awhile.
    Hope someone will get some use from the link.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

So when I say that we should discuss the efficacy of herbs here and not the political issues you choose to disagree with me? If I say we should discuss Political issues does that mean you would then focus on the herbs?

• oakleif
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have a very merry Christmas everyone on the herbalism forum. You too eric and brendon.
    May your new year be filled with the wisdom of the ancients use of thousands of years of experience and scientific type experiments with herbal medicine.
    MAY God guide the medical industry in its endeavers as well as the herbalists.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Well thank you.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions