Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbal Information Site

Posted by oakleif z6 AR (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 4:36

Came across another herbal information site and thought i'd pass it on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Herbal Information Site

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbal Information Site

congratulations, this is your first post on herbalism in quite a while, glad to see you participating.

o

Based on a limited review of this website, "Herbal Ed" does seem to provide some useful information.

One obvious problem is that Ed places a great deal of importance on his own experience in using herbs and that of other practitioners over the ages, suggesting his observations are as good as the evidence of randomized, controlled scientific trials. The trouble with this idea is that individual practitioners (whether herbalists or physicians) are prone to confirmation bias and other errors that creep into their practice and are held onto even when contrary evidence emerges (note that Ed is quick to condemn a negative study about echinacea, first noting that it is just one of numerous studies, some of which favor Echinacea in preventing colds, and also referring back to the experience of practitioners like himself. Ed does not distinguish between quality large-scale trials and anecdotal reports in the literature (which are much less reliable), and again makes that mistake of assuming that personal observations are equal to large-scale testing under controlled conditions).

In using this site I'd make sure that Ed's observations are backed up by better-trained herbalists and adequate testing.

I also congratulate oakleif for doing a post on herbalism.

o

A first, finally recognized for one of many herbs i've mentioned. However knowing how ignorant you are in herbal lore. hope everyone ignores you. eric i'll take Herbal Eds recommandations over yours any day of the week.
Your saying practioners can be biased? We all know your not biased. Right!!!!?

o

My post congratulated you, how could herbal ignorance come in to play there?

o

Because you're ignorance of herbs is so obvious it is an insult for you to agree with me and i'd rather you did'nt.Your age don't help any either.

I've injoyed this bickering with you. It's so easy. But i've got serious work to do. I've got rid of all my frustration for now. So everyone else will have to babysit you and eric for awhile.
Hope someone will get some use from the link.

o

So when I say that we should discuss the efficacy of herbs here and not the political issues you choose to disagree with me? If I say we should discuss Political issues does that mean you would then focus on the herbs?

o

Have a very merry Christmas everyone on the herbalism forum. You too eric and brendon.
May your new year be filled with the wisdom of the ancients use of thousands of years of experience and scientific type experiments with herbal medicine.
MAY God guide the medical industry in its endeavers as well as the herbalists.

o

Well thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here