Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prickly Pear Cactus

Posted by oakleif z6 AR (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 24, 08 at 6:51

Native Americans polticed peeled pads on wounds. Applied juice of fruits to warts. drank pad tea for lung ailments. In folk medicine peeled pads polticed for rhumatism, juice for kidney stones, bake pads for gout , chronic ulcers and wounds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prickly Pear Cactus

Any update beyond folklore?

Caution is advised when peeling/using prickly pear pads. You want to make sure all the tiny hair-like prickles (glochids) are removed - nasty when they are embedded in your skin (not to mention the digestive tract).

o

Sorry! guess i thought everyone knew you burn the bristles off. Which of course you do. They even burn the bristles off in west Texas for the cattles sake.
Happy New Year Everyone!

o

Basic warnings like that are best repeated very often, you never know who is reading, people damage themselves all the time because other people assume that common sense will be used, or that some practices are common knowledge; I did not know that they were burned off (although I'm clever enough thankfully to figure out that the prickles are not something I want in me) or even that they were flammable, I would probably use a knife if I ever had occasion to prepare them.

o

I was very amiss for not stating that you burn off the prickles.And i apoligise.
BREN, you did not figure anything out is my humble guess.

o

Its not a guess, I said right there at the end of the most that I would have done something "if I ever had occasion to", implying that I never had occasion too.

o

Personally I enjoy eating the very young pads before the thorns harded off. I use gloves and scrape them off with a good knife. I then wash the pads off to make sure all are removed as the thorns still have fine wire like stickers with one each. The "pear Apples" make great jelly if you add lemon. In west Texas you can pick a Wash Tub full in about 1/2hour, not 98 cents each. The pads make a very nice stew or with eggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here