Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfgesq

irritable bowel syndrome

kfgesq
20 years ago

anyone know anything about this and any remedies to cure it or help it?

Comments (17)

• The_Passenger
    20 years ago

No, I thought I had it for 20 years...turns out it was gallstones... sometimes IBS can be caused by gallstones. That's all I know...:o(

• chaman
    20 years ago

More fiber intake in your diet may help.

chaman

• kerdragon
    20 years ago

If you increase your fiber intake, be sure and do it slowly or it might get worse until your body adjusts. Sometimes drinking green tea helps when I'm going to the bathroom frequently. Pay attention to your diet for anything that you notice tends to aggravate it. Also, stress tends to bring on symptoms for me, so I use tai chi or breathing exercises to reduce my stress. That's about all I can tell you - haven't found a cure for mine yet.

• franeli
    20 years ago

I have IBS. Had some cognitive therapy to "talk" to my bowel,it really helps reduce stress,even stress you are not aware of. Like driving,rushing to work,going on an airplane...
    Calcium and Mg help me,as I have the diarrhea/spastic pain type. I am careful about the raw fruits(green apples and bananas,etc.) I cook most things. Fiber aggravates me. I used to use metamucil, but I have bowel adhesions and that stuff can actually block your bowel if you don't drink enough.

• sophie22
    20 years ago

why what does green tea do? i have some green tea with lemon grass in the cupboard but havent used it yet, i always thought it was supposed to fush out your system?

• maryann21
    20 years ago

check out these links. They have some good info about IBS and some herbal/homeopathic/nutritional approaches

approaches.http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/10/vitamin_d_ibs.htm

Mary Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: AskThe Doctor

• chaman
    20 years ago

Constipation and gas are the main side effects one would face while increasing fibers in the diet.I took a hint from Ayurvedic Mdicine to get some help and that is taking a spoonful of Sugarfree Pancake Syrup ( I am Diabetic )
    along with fiber intake. This did provide lot of help for these side effects.

• yeona_sky
    20 years ago

The article I've linked below talks of using enteric coated Peppermint oil. The info is at the bottom of the article. They sight studies but don't give journal references.

This article has journal references at the end of it. The enteric coated peppermint does sound helpful.

Peppermint.

Yeona.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

• rusty_blackhaw
    20 years ago

Here's one article on peppermint oil and IBS.

• kerdragon
    20 years ago

I haven't seen green tea recommended for IBS (actually, you should try to avoid caffeine), but I find that green tea sometimes helps calm my stomach when stress triggers my symptoms. I suppose some herbal teas might also work. Breathing exercises are also helpful.

I've seen peppermint recommended also, and also flaxseeds/ flaxseed oil. I think the bottom line, though, is to figure out a diet that agrees with your body, especially to figure out the right amount of fiber for you. Some people find relief by increasing their fiber intake, and some people find that makes their symptoms worse. For me, it helped to increase my fiber somewhat, but I don't get the full 'recommended' amount and I avoid things like wheat bran, which my system just does not tolerate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irritable Bowel Syndrome

• yeona_sky
    20 years ago

Eric, did you mean to send us to a pay per view site? I also noted, while reading about IBS, that this uncomfortable problem is not, at least so far, linked to any other problem, or disease, down the road. Let's hope it stays that way. My daughter has IBS and so far it is managed with fiber, DGL, and Peppermint oil, although she only used the Enteric coated Peppermint oil on her last flareup. She hasn't had a flareup for quite a while, and this is the longest bout between them. I'm so glad for her! It hurts to see her in pain. She definitely is managing stress better as well, and I think that is a factor.

Yeona

• kfgesq
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Infusions ofoat straw tea on a daily basis and slippery elm for the crisis times really help.

• Traute_Biogardener
    19 years ago

To get rid of it, besides soothing remedies, you need to get off all carbohydrates like sugar and flour, especially refined sugar and flour. After you are cured, you need to cut all refined carbohydrates out of your diet to prevent recurrence.

• dpinker1
    19 years ago

Best of luck to you. I've had this for quite some time. I've found peppermint to help the most. Also take the tablets when it's very bad. I've started growing my peppermint now so I have fresh all winter. Don't forget that stress does make it worse so take some time out for yourself and enjoy a cup of tea and work on a hobby that calms you.
    DP

• johnyb
    19 years ago

Try Iberogast oral liquid, perhaps available from your chemist or a herbal outlet, many IBS sufferers are singing this herbal preparations praises.

It contains 9 herbs; Clown's Mustard, Angelica, Chamomile, Caraway, St. Mary's Thistle, Lemonbalm, Peppermint, Licorice, and Chelidonium.

In addition to some good anecdotal evidence from clinincal use, there have been 2 good clinical trials backing this products efficacy for IBS, try it.

John

• dpinker1
    19 years ago

One more idea. I've found that many with ibd tolerate different foods. Without my carbs I would probably wouldn't weigh anything, never have a problem with them. Rice is a must for me.

• Zelda285
    19 years ago

Hello. I have IBS too. Peppermint helps me a lot ; I make a herbal tea with it and sip it slowly where I am in much pain.

I also make a massage oil appropriate to this case and keep it handy ( next to my bed, for example, because this stupid pain, concerning me, has always a preference to come late at night) : take a 50 ml dark glass blottle, fill it up with grapeseed oil ( this is a carrier oil, there are, of course, many others, but, personnally I use this one because it's good and cheap ) and add 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of rosemary ess. oil. These two essential oils when mixed together and massaged on the problem area will make the pain disappear. Moreover, if it's late, you will sleep like a baby since there's lavender in the mix ; if not, lavender will calm you down and help you continue your work. Extra tip: when massaging, always do circular movements and insist until the pain goes away. ( it will, believe me... )

There is no cure for IBS. But you can maybe find out what causes it ; in my case it's stress, stress, always stress!

Best wishes.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions