Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve349

Lip Balm

Steve349
12 years ago

I am planning on making lip balm to sell at our local Farmers Market. I would like to know if anyone here makes lip balm and what type of oil do you use? I plan on using Sweet Almond Oil, herbs, beeswax. Any advise for a novice?

Comments (11)

• thaugen
    12 years ago

I use a commercial calendula lip balm.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I use olive oil for the salves I make. But if you are a novice, find a recipe for making lip balm. There's tons of books and reference material out there - find a tested recipe to follow.

FataMorgana

• Steve349
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I do have a tested recipe for herbal salve which I use sunflower oil. I have never used Sweet Almond Oil which I think for make for a better lip balm. I guess the best way is to make some and see how it works. Thanks again for your time and replies

• Ina Plassa_travis
    12 years ago

sweet almond, olive, and grape seed are all ones I've used successfully...avacado and walnut oil are wonderful, but do not keep well at room temperature.

shea butter, coconut oil and cocoa butter are solids at room temp, need about 1/4 as much beeswax as liquid oils.

• Steve349
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Chinacat, so if you say I need about 1/4 as much beeswax as liquid oil, you mean like 2 oz of oil would be 1/2 oz of beeswax..right?

• noeylovesgardening
    12 years ago

I think that coconut oil or almond oil. Almond is good for stronger or root herb balms, and coconut is good for less stronger herbs as it has little to no scent. You might find that olive/beeswax combo is an great alternative!!!

• dlmbrt
    11 years ago

I make a lip/tattoo balm. I use beeswax, apricot kernel oil, sesame oil, shea butter, and argan oil plus essential oils. All of the above are healing, and great for the lips too.

• kk1515
    11 years ago

thanks for the good lip balm tips, i've made salve but never lip balm even tho i sure want to try it.....am inspired by your suggestions! do you recommend buying the tubes for lip balm for just using small salve jars? (i already have small salve jars but would have to buy the tubes)

• Steve349
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kk151, I will be using the tubes. I havent made it yet, but will very soon. Drying some herbs now.
    I found tubes on a website called etsy.com. Good luck.

• WyldViolet
    11 years ago

I prefer to use organic Olive oil, since Olive oil resists rancidity better than most other oils. Whatever oil/s you do end up using, just make sure they are food grade, and not just cosmetic grade, since people will end up ingesting it.

• kaliaman
    11 years ago

Wow, your lip balm ideas sound amazing. One other addition that might be nice is a few drops of rosehip seed oil, its very healing to skin.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994
More Discussions