Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerdragon

tea tree for sore throats?

kerdragon
21 years ago

I've read that a tea tree solution can be gargled for sore throats, mouth sores etc. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to know what strength to use it, and also can I make it from the essential oil?

Comments (20)

• Daisyduckworth
    21 years ago

As far as I know, tea tree oil is not recommended for internal use. You'd be better off gargling with thyme tea which is a powerful antiseptic, disinfectant, antibacterial, anti this and that, or using lemon juice. If you can handle neat lemon juice, so much the better, but a lemon tea or lemonade will work a treat. It may sting, but it works. You can always add a little honey to it, which will also help the throat. Another excellent remedy for sore throat is the eat some well-beaten egg whites. My favourite treatment for sore throats and cold and flu symptoms is a mixture of equal quantities of honey, vinegar and lemon juice, taken in teaspoonfuls several times a day. The honey is soothing, the vinegar clears the sinuses and the lemon kills the bugs (that's keeping it simple).

• Daisyduckworth
    21 years ago

Also check out the following thread on the same subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: help my throat

• kristenmarie
    21 years ago

I've gargled tea tree, too- in small doses (don't swallow!!) it is OK. Works OK, too. I second the vinegar idea (apple cider vinegar)... I've had really strange Curing experiences with vinegar (like, colds and sore throats disappear completely). Whether there's any proof or not that it actually works, it works for me. (Vinegar, you can swallow).

Kristen

• kerdragon
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks for the info. Does vinegar work on sore gums too?

• Traute_Biogardener
    20 years ago

My mother's natural health recipe was to gargle with salt water.

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

Assuming you're in normal health, gargling with 2-5 drops of pure tea tree essential oil in a few ounces of water is very effective & should be fine unless you have a very sensitive mouth. You could add a drop of peppermint for flavor.

Try not to swallow but nothing much should happen if you accidentally do. Theoretically, it could burn but it certainly won't kill you.

I know it may be controversial, but either Dr. Christian Northrup or herbalist Rosemary Gladstar (I can't remember which right now) recommends occasional internal use of pure tea tree oil if you put a few drops in a vege or gelatin capsule to protect your stomach. (It works for some women -stopping yeast dead in its tracks.)

But if it's just a sore throat: propolis tincture, colloidal silver spray, hydrogen peroxide, or grapefruit seed extract in a bit of water works just as well in my experience.

I like Daisyduckworth's recipe. Me, I would eat a tbsp of lemon & honey w/ a dash of cayenne powder every couple hours too. Or mash a clove of garlic, mix it with honey and wash down with thyme tea (don't chew it or you'll reek of garlic). Also chew a sliver of ginger root (not the sugared kind) then hold it under the tongue for a few minutes if I you can stand it - it's a great source of zinc for the immune system.

Green blessings,
    Michelle (bushpoet)

• canttype
    20 years ago

I love Tea Tree oil! I brush my teeth with it ... Why can't you gargle with it. It won't kill you...I promise! True it tastes nasty but works so well!!! Just don't go drinking the whole bottle kay! Lol!
    Put 3 or 4 drops in some warm water and try it. I would. Kills bacteria and fungus on contact. I clean with it,put it on insect bites, hubby's nasty smelling itch feet,and have gargled with it with no ill effects!
    G.L.
    Diane

• Jamesge
    19 years ago

Sore throats, ice cream.
    Mouth sores? Get some vitamin C. Drink some orange juice or something.

• ellanadasdy
    19 years ago

i would not take tea tree internally, there are much safer and far more effective remedies; why not try an agrimony gargle, this should be a tincture of 10 ml to a glass of warm water. ladys mantle is astringent and anti inflamatory, take as with agrimony. echinacea and lythrum salitaria(loose strife) may also be gargled this way, they are also very effective, being antibacterial and regenerative...
    good luck.
    love ella:)

• goatster
    19 years ago

I am new, but saw this post and wanted to say I use TTO ( just a few drops with hot salty water to gargle as soon as a feel a "tinge" of a sore throat coming on, so far it has knocked it out every time. Just of course be prepared for one nasty taste, but it feels better right away. I will get some peppermint oil to have on hand for the nasty taste that is a good tip!

• DigginDanny
    19 years ago

I have to second the use of a solution of vinegar and salt for sore throats. I cut the vinegar by 50% with warm water, add about a tsp of salt to 4 ozs or so of the liquid. Gargling with this helps immensely in my experiences.

• kranberri
    19 years ago

I've always gargled with HOT salt water, last time I had to go get antibiotics this was on the aftercare sheet!

• sunflowrAZ
    19 years ago

I have 'cured' many a sore throat with alphalfa pills. About 5 of the big ones. They taste terrible and they must be chewed, a LITTLE water helps to get them down, but I think the point was that they need to touch the area that is 'sore'. It was listed in an old healing book of alternatives about 30+ years ago. They recommended 10 pills to chew but they really taste terrible. It was recommended for strep throat, which is not something to mess around with, but I can't take antibiotics so this along with tictures of golden seal and echnicia were my options.

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

Kerdragon
    I use tea tree oil a lot. For sore throats, salt water does best immediately, but it does not last long. I get mouth sores and the only thing that works is tto.A few drops in 1/4 cup water and gargle and hold for as long as you can stand it. I don't swallow it but if some dribble down your throat, its OK. It works for me first time, every time.
    I don't think it works for a sore throat, because I had a mouth sore, used it and my throat seemed sore, got sorer and developed into a cold. I did use tto several times and it had no beneficial effect on the sore throat.Good luck, Gloria

• Mrmoosestuff_gmail_com
    13 years ago

In my life experience, tea tree oil works the best. I have tried the salt and water, but it takes days (for that to work on me). However if you use tea tree oil the night you feel something coming on, the next morning you will feel like nothing was wrong in the first place. I also use a unorthodox way of using tea tree oil. I get a Q-tip and directly Insert it to the place of infection(whether it be the throat or the gums)

• logan sanders
    7 years ago

I wanted to share a recipe that saved me from a sore throat this autumn:

Sore Throat Massage Oil

Ingredients:

• 1 drop of thyme essential oil
    • 2 drops of lavender essential oil
    • 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
    • 3 drops of geranium essential oil
    • 1 ounce of jojoba oil

Directions: In a clean glass bowl, add jojoba oil
    and essential oils and mix. Gently massage the blend over your neck and
    throat to lessen a sore throat or swollen glands. (source)

• fancybeachgirl
    7 years ago

I rub tea tree oil on my throat. Almost instantly better. No need to gargle. It'll absorb through skin to get to the infection. Works great!!

• Elisabeth Mackey
    7 years ago

I have been gargling with diluted teatree oil for decades. I swear by it. It also numbs the pain of sore throats which is an added plus. I also gargle as a preventative after airplane flights. I highly recommend it.

• zippity1
    7 years ago

tea tree oil supposedly was an ingredient in the original listerine......

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County
More Discussions