Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

Another herb for common cold relief?

rusty_blackhaw
15 years ago

Extracts from a south African herb, umckaloabo (Pelargonium sidioides) have recently been shown in some studies to have effectiveness against symptoms of the common cold and possibly other upper respiratory tract infections as well. Here's one internist who thinks it's worth a try.

Just published this year was a Cochrane review which compiled data from the various studies (excluding the poorest quality ones) and found that this herb may help in cases of the common cold and rhinosinusitis, "but doubt exists" (noting that study results are inconsistent, and some preparations i.e. pills appear ineffective).

Anyone here tried umckaloabo yet?

Comments (16)

• oakleif
    15 years ago

eric, only you or bren would put a sick joke like that here. The female doctor has got to be an american, her attitude reeks american medical snobbery. Real doctors come from France, europe,or elsewhere.

Some DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS came to vist the appalacian area in WV and Tenn. Went back home and said Medical Care there was worse than in Africa. eric since i know you've never heard of Doctors Without Borders. They're a group of international doctors(May even be an american or two) Who volunteer their time going to places with little or no health care and giving their own time and money to treat poor people. Why don't you volunteer for a couple of years? They never make fun of poor people who can't afford or don't have access to any health care. Wonder how many people your cold hearted female doctor let die. While good doctors were pitching in helping the ill.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Why are you talking about a political issue in a thread on herbalism? Would switching to more herbs fix the political issues involved in the distribution of medical equipment and maintainence of medical facilities? Is there an Herb that turns a layman in to a doctor with out any training?

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Thought you two were ranting against herbs and for the poor American health care system. Was i wrong? You are really for herbal medication? Please make that clear and i'll apoligise===big time. France incorporates herbs (that is HERBS) into their health care system. Do you understand or should i put it into simpler language for you.
    Remember herbs in French health care system. That means herbologests(SP) work side by side with medical doctors. That have medical degrees.
    Herbs are prescribed along with western medicine in France.That is Herbs, herbs, HERBS. May even use ERICS HERB.LOL

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Its not a matter of us being for or against herbs (I think herbs certainly have their place) you are arguing about the politics and structure of the health care system, which is an issue independent of the choice of herbal remedies over synthetic drugs. You can find hospitals where Herbalists and Naturopaths work along side real doctors in every industrialized country, that does not mean that that is responsible for one country doing better than another. France has two edges on the US, fewer deaths from murder and accidents (and no its not guns, More people stab other people in the US per 1000 than murder in France in all forms) and infant mortality. There are no herbs currently in use for lowering infant mortality in france or any other country.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Incidentally, umckaloabo is not exactly cheap. One seller online has a 30 ml supply (an amount you could use up treating one cold) for $25. You could also buy 500 ml online for $120.

I don't know if this plant is being raised commercially or if there are any implications for over-harvesting and species endangerment.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Sounds like a joke to me.. Just another miracle cure huh? It seems like people are fixed on lab studies. Personally, there are so many variables that come into play, I don't like to look at lab studies. I would much rather look at clinical experience and observation first hand, or from someone you trust.. Dr.Robert Morse has 40 years of clinical expeience curing cancer 95% of the time... According to his experience colds and any disease for that matter is your lymphatic system(eliminative) not working properly... You could take antibiotics and magic pills and be treated temporarily but in the long run you have to fix the cause, clean upthe eliminative system and get your body functioning properly. There is not magic fix. Let the food be thy medicine, medicine be thy food. Pharmaceutical treatments(not even medicine in my book, more like poison) only been around for a century or so.. Fruits, vegetables, herbs been around for how long? Don't fall prey to these expensive fixes. Eat a healthy diet, drink healthy water. Remember what u eat breath and out on your skin is either going to help you or kill you.beat your organic fruits and vegetables, limit meats dairy and everything else for that matter and you will not have a cold... Stay healthy
    Joe
    Joe

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Sounds like a joke to me.. Just another miracle cure huh?... Dr.Robert Morse has 40 years of clinical expeience curing cancer 95% of the time..."

I'm having trouble reconciling these statements.

Seems to me that if Morse (a naturopath) actually had such a fantastic record curing cancer, he'd have an obligation to publish his results in a reputable scientific journal so that others could evaluate and apply his methods. Instead, it seems that he's more interested in doing YouTube videos and pushing a line of pricey supplements.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Eric oh:

Supplements? Ur kidding? He is very opposed to taking supplements! Why don't u actually research the man before you... He tells you to grow your fruits, vegetables, and herbs! He is not concerned with money at all.... He does sell herbal tinctures of very high quality, $24 last 3 weeks... But he tells you to make your own. In his book he even tells you how to make them. Furthermore, you don't even need the herbs the fruit is enough to clean your lymph system for proper detoxification... He deals with patents with MS and spinal cord injuries who does not have the opportunity to live freely... You don't know our government, huh? They TRIED to sue/ lock up this man because they aren't making any money! He is curing people for next to nothing conpared to the thousands of dollars for chemo and radiation, which doesn't cure nothing, it kills!! The government wants us dumbed down, population control, world bank, etc.. Come on, wake up and stop running from the truth.

Joe

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So he's against taking supplements - except the ones he sells on his website.

Um, O.K. :)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

They are not supplements, they are merely just herbs... If you are disabled and can not go outside to pick herbs, he makes them to make sure they are up to ultra high standards, organic wildcrafted...

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Products like these offered by his "private membership health club" look an awful lot like supplements.

Maybe you can cite clinical studies to show that any of them work for "endocrine glands", "parasites", "prolapsed organs" or the zillion other conditions he claims to treat.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Quite frankly, I'm not going to spend time looking for your answers, obviously you are not into a raw diet nor this doctor. All I can say is if you want to find out what works try it for yourself. If you are in tune with your body, you know when something bad or good... I see what this man does, I'm going to try it for myself, and it worked for me and many others.. It's almost impossible to convince you this mans legit, I undestand.. All I can say is go by what your intuition/body tells you.. If you truly want to dig more into Dr.Robert Morse you could go to his clinic.. I'm sure you can dig up something... He been on the news several times with testimonials,etc..

Thanks
    Joe

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As has been pointed out here before, testimonials are OK if you're choosing a new restaurant or movie.

For something as important as your health, more substantial evidence is needed.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Let your body talk to you, listen to your body. You know right from wrong.

Joe

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most people's bodies tell them to eat lots of sugary, fatty foods. You have to learn to overrule what your body is telling you and do the smart thing (more plant-based foods, smaller portions). :)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

That is all I am trying to get across, eat a little healthier... You dont need to buy any supplements,medicines. Your food is the most powerful medicine.

Joe

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions