Houzz Logo Print
newbie_85

Can these herbs be combined?

Newbie_85
19 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum.

I have a question:

Which of these herbs can be combined (for a tea)?

- Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut)

- Hamamelis (What's it in English?)

- Millefolium (Water Milfoil)

- Taraxacum (Dandelion)

- Marrubium (Hoarhound)

Or is there no problem with combining any of these? I mean: are some of these herbs known to cause unwanted reactions when mixed?

Can anyone tell me?

Thanks a bunch!

~Newb~

P.S.: I know you have to be careful with Millefolium, not to take too much.

Comments (5)

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

Hamamelis is Witch Hazel, which witch hazel do you have? The virginiana or the mollis? the mollis is Chinese witchhazel.
    I am concerned, is this for internal bleeding? If so, I'd recommend a doctor, I wouldn't self medicate on something that you aren't sure about.
    Horehound is extremely bitter, you will need LOTS of sugar to help with the bitterness.
    millefolium is to us Achillea millefolium or Yarrow.
    Some of these have a FEW abilities as a medicine, some work on vascular things, some on internal bleeding.... maybe you should just take one at a time.

• Newbie_85
    Original Author
    19 years ago

>> Hamamelis is Witch Hazel, which witch hazel do you have? The virginiana or the mollis? the mollis is Chinese witchhazel. The virginiana.

>> I am concerned, is this for internal bleeding? If so, I'd recommend a doctor, I wouldn't self medicate on something that you aren't sure about. No, it's for varicose veins/spider veins.

>> Some of these have a FEW abilities as a medicine, some work on vascular things, some on internal bleeding.... maybe you should just take one at a time. These herbs are al said to help against varicose veins, but since I don't know which ones are best, I thought about just using a few, or all of them.

Does anyone here have an idea? Experience maybe?

Thanks,
    Newb

• ellanadasdy
    19 years ago

i left a posted response to your question on the herbs board....
    ella

• habitat_gardener
    19 years ago

Michael Moore's website has a detailed repertory that tells you exactly which herb to use, depending on your constitution and symptoms, as well as safe dosage (but if you are not a trained herbalist or medical practitioner, you may need to spend some time with a medical glossary as well). Google on "herbmoore" and "clinical manuals". Check the repertory as well as tinctures in clinical practice for differentiation.

Be careful with Aesculus -- it can be toxic.

An example from the repertory:
    Legs, inner thighs, from diet or chronic poor fat digestion - Collinsonia, Fouquieria
    Legs, inner thighs - Aesculus (both)
    with relaxed tissues, sense of fullness - Hamamelis
    VARICOSITIES (during pregnancy)
    Hamamelis (external fomentation)
    Achillea (fresh plant poultice)

• habitat_gardener
    19 years ago

Google on
    moore "clinical manuals"
    to get to the repertories, material medica, etc. He also has a great glossary. All are free downloads, but unless you have a strong botanical med background will require lots of study to use effectively.

Sponsored
More Discussions