Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitteh_gw

incense / soil tea / pollution toxins

kitteh
10 years ago

I'd like to know of your thoughts on implementing homemade incense of herbs that bind toxins to purify air of modern pollutants such as smoke from factories, household chemicals, and aerosol spraying. Would it work, or does it only work if the herbs are ingested? For example cilantro is recommended, I'm curious of the effects on the air regarding toxins if this were burned as incense.

All I can find on this involves 'purification' in a different way, or hypocritical EPA / gov. scare tactics.

Can a liquid feed of herbal tea detoxify soil for your plants - cilantro tea poured on soil reduce uptake of toxins in plants?

Comments (14)

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

Burning herbs to counteract air pollution seems, well, counter-intuitive. :)

Air pollution can certainly be a problem. But as for "toxins" and products/herbs that supposedly mitigate them, the questions that need to be asked are:

1) is the substance that's said to be deleterious really harmful at the levels you're likely to encounter (i.e. the dose makes the poison),
    2) is there real evidence (beyond testimonials) that the alleged toxin cleanser really removes what you want it to, and
    3) once the supposedly toxic substance is removed, are there demonstrable positive health effects, and
    4) is the "detoxifier" itself safe?

I've never heard of any commercial product that's promoted for detoxification meeting these requirements.

I do however eat a lot of cilantro (it's one of my favorite herbs).

• kitteh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As long as I'm not right near the incense, its far better than the factory in the backyard and the chemical clouds. Since coming to this location I've come down with 'mystery' illnesses (possibly thinking it may be in part from bad air pollution because of chronic dry coughing and 'dirt' on skin that just builds up ..... also signs like those of toxicity - fatigue, pain, etc. but those are harder to pin) despite regular doctors saying I'm fine, and being very healthy prior. Tried vitamins and diet and such. Tried crappy meds that try to treat one thing and cause five others.

The substance builds up in tissues. The cilantro is said to contain the carboxylic acids that bind toxins. I'm trying charcoal for that too in capsules but I only started so can't say if it helps - not sure for example if charcoal only binds to that in your digestive tract. Definitely getting further away from chemicals in air helps breathing. Just curious if the smoke contains the acids or if they get destroyed. Also if aromatherapy can be for more than just relaxation herbs. Curious if the soil is absorbing the toxins if the tea would bind to them so the plants don't uptake it and become unhealthy or transfer to whoever eats it. Or would they stay in the soil eventually going into other plants?

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Kitteh,

Im so sorry that your in that awful predicament. There's no way i would rent, let alone buy a house near a big factory like that.. The thought of that makes me sick, and deeply sad for you being in the situation.

The best solution is to move to a place your comfortable living. However thats not realistic for most, so here are the best solutions i have, i actually use them myself.

Smoke: i understand exactly where your coming from with the cilantro, etc. eating cilantro, or other dark leafy greens rich in chlorophyll are one of the best ways to cleanse metals out your body. But, i would not smoke/burn anything. Any smoke is a carcinogen, so you would just be adding more pollutants with incense.. If you want clean safe air, do not use incense, is has all kinds of crap in it.. Instead, i would not burn anything, or buy any incense. Instead, your best beat would be to get a HEPA filter, it removes nearly all pollutants in the air. However, they are expensive.

If there is any advice i could give you, or what i would do personally, it would be switch your diet. I would eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, particularly fruits. Fruits are the highest antioxidants/cleansing foods on planet. These antioxidants and countless other beneficial pytochemicals will help eliminate the pollution we live in. If know you said you had little help changing your diet, but it takes time. It truly does do wonders. Your diet probably wasnt nearly all raw fruits and vegetables with minimum unhealthy food, was it? Because, trust me, that is the real key to health, diet and lifestyle.

Soil toxcity: a lot of organic matter (compost, mulch(leaves,grassclippings, plant matter) will buffer and reduce the toxicity of the soil. Throw a nice thick layer of compost(several inches) and mulch with plants matter(i use leaves) and the organisms in the soil naturally break down toxins into less harmful substances.

It would greatly help if you inform us what kind of factory? And it would greatly benefit me if you tell me where roughly your are in Ohio, because i to love in Ohio and have factories not to far away as well..

Best of luck,

Ps- i wouldn't be so quick to take clay and charcoal. They could be really rough on your body. Fruits and vegetables are much more safer, pleasanter,cheaper and much more efficient.

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

perhaps do an internet search for 'bioremediation' + the plant names you are interested in to find the info you seek. much research has been done on plants/shrooms/bacteria used to detox water, soil and air, and the writings are out there so you should get some good search hits.

ditto nature's nature who imo gave good advice re moving if possible, ingesting large amounts of antioxidants in the form of food (i'd also add supplemental ones in a more extreme instance) the hepa filter, use of clay and charcoal. ongoing use of clay can and does often create nutrient deficiencies and fresh food is a better detox anyway, plus the fiber carries the wastes out of the body. wheatgrass juice, an ounce or two per day would be ideal, is a superb detox/antioxidant drink if available, best fresh but the powder is helpful too.

i would also very highly recommend the herbal/flower essence formula called Yarrow Environmental Solution here. it really helps with the physical and emotional stresses of dealing with environmental toxins, excellent stuff.

best of luck to you Kitteh!

• kitteh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its not only the factory, but the aerosol spraying programs - I can't afford soil tests, let alone to move away. But there are often 'suds' in the rainbuckets that don't look normal. Its thought the sprays contain aluminum and barium among other toxins. If they don't, it stresses me out anyway as it blocks out the sun on a clear warm day. The factory is a paper mill, sometimes so thick you can't breathe normally and there is a low smelly haze - but it only is that bad once in awhile. It is also very noisy and that stresses me. It shouldn't be that close to neighborhoods.

This pic is of both factory and artificial cloud pollutions, it was a blue sky other than factory smoke until the planes start laying grids in front of the sunlight (the factory pollution looks more like puffy smoke plumes that begin to fade within a block, so it never can turn a sunny day dull)

I eat better than I did when I was healthy - organic foods and such - though I do hate veggies. I started growing fruit but curious if the air is like pesticides. Its in a little town in the south of Ohio.

This post was edited by kitteh on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 23:09

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

"Its not only the factory, but the aerosol spraying programs -"

Aerosol spraying programs? Can you go into detail?

" 'suds' in the rainbuckets that don't look normal. Its thought the sprays contain aluminum and barium among other toxins. If they don't, it stresses me out anyway as it blocks out the sun on a clear warm day."

Now, i am not saying you don't have a concern. But there's really only so much you could do, if you let it get to you, you will be more harmed from your mind than the real pollution. don't let things get to you, all you can do is the best. That brings up an interesting thing, I would get a water filter(shower AND drinking). I did some researching on paper mills cause I didn't think they are that pollutive, i found out they are one of the most pollutive industries, shocked me! Normally has to do with water pollution.. With the bleached paper,etc.. Research paper mills for yourself, research the chemicals they use, how they dispose of these chemicals, and possibly any other harmful effects..

I googled "tour of paper mill" and it brings up great videos ..

I sincerely wish you the best of luck, health, and have a happy holiday.

• kitteh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The good filters are too expensive, and there is a thought concerning the air particles in the sprays to be too little for hepa filters. Bathtubs in this area get orange, don't know if thats the mill? There is no information for sure on the spraying's contents, but they go over the sky in grids or stars and the trails persist and spread to block the sun in a haze. I watch them do it, always starting in front of the sun, can make a nice day crap - if it blows away they come back and lay more of the false clouds. There are two normal flight paths and the trails never become clouds, even on days where the grids do. It is often done at night too.

One time a ton of white 'fluff' started flying out of the roof of the mill ..... no idea if it was dangerous or not. My plants look fine though I do compost with only organic matter. I know sunflowers help but it said they destry them once they uptake the toxins - I composted them and birds ate seeds. They were actually over twice the size they were supposed t be, along with my corn nearby - it looked weird.

Probably the emf is worse here too - mybe its just all of it. Neighbor has a tower in their backyard - its not a big place.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

"The good filters are too expensive, and there is a thought concerning the air particles in the sprays to be too little for hepa filters. "

I'm pretty sure HEPA filters out 99.97%.. As far as water filters, i have a aquasona. They are pretty cheap, but the custer service could be better. To really take advantage you have to get the water for life program.. All in all, im happy with it. You could even get a cheap carbon filter At the big box stores, its better than no filter.

" Bathtubs in this area get orange, don't know if thats the mill"

My shower filter head gets orange/pink deposits.. I wonder what that is.. My water filter should of took it out.. I wonder if it is just bacteria or mold or something... Although, im not going to denounce if there is chemical pollution.. In that case, you need a water test.

"There is no information for sure on the spraying's contents, but they go over the sky in grids or stars and the trails persist and spread to block the sun in a haze. I watch them do it, always starting in front of the sun, can make a nice day crap - if it blows away they come back and lay more of the false clouds. There are two normal flight paths and the trails never become clouds, even on days where the grids do. It is often done at night too."

Some believe these are "chemtrails", chemicals that the "head hunchos" spew out the plan .. There are ithers that believe it is just the exhaust from the plane, which reaearch shows probably is the case. However, the fuel the plans run on is unhealthy and spew heavy metals out of the exhaust.. But, i still believe nobody can be so sick to intentional poison the population.. Well, the pharmaceuticals already do that, so..

"My plants look fine though I do compost with only organic matter. I know sunflowers help but it said they destry them once they uptake the toxins - I composted them and birds ate seeds. They were actually over twice the size they were supposed t be, along with my corn nearby - it looked weird."

I advise you to look up dr. Eilain inghan, the soil scientist for the USDA. While, im sure the plants do update some toxins, the microorganisms in the soil does the majority of the "detoxification". Also, I would still grow your own food. It's still soo much healthier than the grocery store.. Dont let thT stop you from growing your food. The benefits of eating that food outweight the potential toxins.. If your that concerned, again look up dr. Elian inghan compost tea. You basically spray the good bacteria and fungus on the plant and it leaves a protective coating.. Fighting off pathogens, and engulfing toxins..

"Probably the emf is worse here too - mybe its just all of it. Neighbor has a tower in their backyard - its not a big place."

What your neighbor has big towers or what? Man, you are really in bad shape huh..

• kitteh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw there is an easy way to make a cat water filter out of aquarium filter - I think its just normal carbon filters and so cheap - I got a water filter pitcher but I checked up on it and it only gets rid chlorine unless you buy the other filters. Prefer 100% spring water too - the stuff from the tap tastes like chemicals not water. Orange coloring wasn't in our other neighborhoods.

I can't say if they're spraying any toxins intentionally, but it is definitely in part weather modification since its always to block the sun if sprayed in daylight. The eastern and middle part of town is always hazier than the west, I noticed this for awhile. I think they're told its to protect us from global warming - if anything. Also it might help the military radar or whatever by making everything more 'static' I've heard - its not from any normal planes. Even if it was only that, only from drills, its bad enough to block the sun so needs stopped. Do clay soils absorb toxins too?

I don't know if the neighbors put in the tower or if it is cell phones but its weird. And they just installed 'the grid' last year.

I'm going to grow it because it tastes better too. I got grapes from a farm and now I hate imported store grapes. But veggies to me taste like grass even if I grew them .....

I do compost tea though never knew it did that too.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

"I saw there is an easy way to make a cat water filter out of aquarium filter - I think its just normal carbon filters and so cheap - I got a water filter pitcher but I checked up on it and it only gets rid chlorine unless you buy the other filters. Prefer 100% spring water too - the stuff from the tap tastes like chemicals not water. Orange coloring wasn't in our other neighborhoods."

I think your best bet would be to do some shopping around for the most reasonable/effective water filter, two filters, one for drinking and one for showering. I think I paid around $150 for my drinking water filter, as well as my shower filter. They say to replace the filters every 6 monthes, I usually wait a little longer, I feel the filters still do their job properly..

"I can't say if they're spraying any toxins intentionally, but it is definitely in part weather modification since its always to block the sun if sprayed in daylight"

Maybe it just appears to block the sun? All I can really say is, if you feel very strongly that you are right, continue your research and feel free to post your findings on this thread.

"Does clay soil absorb toxins"

I recommend you get a understanding of how the soil food web works, research dr. Elaine ingham.. That knowledge will answer your questions and perhaps calm your nerves on soil toxicity,etc.

"I'm going to grow it because it tastes better too. I got grapes from a farm and now I hate imported store grapes. But veggies to me taste like grass even if I grew them ....."

Im glad to here you are not letting anything/one discourage you from growing your own food. It truly is great joy working with mother nature, helping her grow plants, something about it is so therapeutic.

• kitteh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

$150 is really a lot - that's like my whole garden budget for the year. I can't spare a soil test or even doing multiple seed trades in bubble wraps.

I grew the food originally because I wanted to learn about it - if I actually liked any of it was a bonus. I gave away most of it.

Blocking the sun and static air was the most likely reasons - I did look into it. I can't find if the health problems come from intentional poisoning, but in the daylight when they do it, they start at the sun then if it clears they're back.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

"I can't spare a soil test "

Do you really test your soil every year? If so, how much is that test, why are you testing so much, what are you testing for?

"$150 is really a lot "

$150 to assure you are not bathing in harmful, or even toxic chemicals, is actually fairly cheap, especially the level of concern you have. Balance the risk vs reward and figure out if you really want one. Im sure they have some cheaper than aquasona. I think at home depot they had a carbon drinking water filter with the filter housing for $40-$50, but keep in mind, its not as good as the aquasona filter, as the aquasona filter isn't as good as reverse osmosis. You have to research for yourself.. Knowing your perspective, i would think you would jump at the advice to get a water filter. Personally, if i was in your shoes, that would be the first thing i would do. Money could be tight, i understand, but your health is worth more than paper.

• kitteh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant I can't spare $15 - $30 for a soil test to check what pollutants are there for no reason other than curiousity, because that money is better put to buying food or soap or new shoes since the old ones wore through.

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

"I meant I can't spare $15 - $30 for a soil test to check what pollutants are there for no reason other than curiousity, because that money is better put to buying food or soap or new shoes since the old ones wore through."

I thought you meant you get a soil test every year, I was going to say, that's completely unnecessary. Personally, I rank water filters right up their with food, and other necessities. I do understand, though.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company
More Discussions