Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chaste Tree Berries . . .

Posted by theherbalist (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 16:11

Now, I'm not criticizing, but rather I find humor in one of the posts which says (in part) . . . "Vitex is also known as chaste tree (to curb sexual urges) and at the same time as monk's pepper (an aphrodisiac)." (http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/herbal/1998040650007216.html)

Am I the only one who sees the humor in what it says about "monk's pepper (an aphrodisiac)?" I mean . . . think about all these horny monks running around the monastery/abbey all because they took an aphrodisiac.

Truth is, it was called monk's pepper because it depleted sexual interests. Wheww! Glad we cleared that one up!!!

Thank you for listening. Hope you all found as much humor in the post as I did.

Charlie
The Herbalist

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chaste Tree Berries . . .

A relatively recent explanation has it that Vitex was an anti-aphrodisiac for men*, but an aphrodisiac for women. Though this site says:

"In ancient Greek mythology the Chaste Tree was associated with the Greek goddess Hera who had domain over marital chastity. It is said she was born and nursed beneath a Chaste Tree on the Greek island of Samos.""

Duelling effects are not just postulated for Vitex. Awhile back I posted an online list of things cider vinegar was supposed to accomplish, which included helping just about any condition you could name. The author(s) claimed it was good for both weight loss and weight gain.

Some try to reconcile these contradictions by labeling certain herbs as "adaptogens", which comes across as a more science-y way of saying "Good for what ails you". ;)

*As to the monks, based on reports about what they were up to from ancient times on through Rasputin...if they were taking any anti-aphrodisiacs, they evidently didn't work so well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here