Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greg2468

Grapefruit Seed Extract and Antibiotics

greg2468
16 years ago

I have not found an adequate answer on the web so here goes:

I am on a 6 week course of antibiotics, in particular doxycyclene (100 mg once per day now). I am almost halfway through. I want to use the anti-fungal properties of grapefruit seed extract, but I don't want to abandon the doxycyclene because I am already so far into that treatment. Does anyone know if there is any danger of interaction between the two drugs?

Comments (15)

• lucy
    16 years ago

Your pharmacist could probably tell you responsibly, and suggest a proper antifungal that wouldn't 'clash'.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Okay, I googled and apparently it looks like Grapeseed extract inhibits the absorption of various proteins in the lower intestine, which shouldn't be a problem for you. As far as the ABSORPTION problem with regular GRAPEFRUIT, my doc told ME that if you take it at different times that aspect won't bother your medicine. But as always, please err on the side of caution.

• lucy
    16 years ago

Grapefruit (in whatever form) is known to interfere with certain antibiotics one way or another, so why not just see if the antibiotics do their job and leave out the 'additions' for now?

• Ina Plassa_travis
    16 years ago

Of course there is. ItÂs poorly documented because we havenÂt had 40 years to research all the implications of ÂinteractionÂ.

Topically? Diluted in a carrier oil?

Not likely to be a problem.

Systemically? Partly depends on your biochemistryÂbut why risk it?

Now  there are two mycological Âblooms that commonly follow antibiotic use  oneÂs an internal yeast, oneÂs an external fungus.

Probiotics are the safest way to deal with the first one.

And a topical anti-fungal (oregano or thyme, macerated, soaked, and strained, the water used as a compress or applied with a small spray bottle) is the safest way to deal with the latter.

• apollog
    16 years ago

Several recent studies have come to the conclusion that commercial grape seed extracts have contained preservatives, and that their antimicrobial properties are almost entirely due to these preservatives, not to anything in the GSE itself. This calls into question the reliability of previous studies that showed that grape seed extract has anti-fungal properties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia page on Grape Seed Extract

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

To clarify the above post, it's a reference to grapefruit seed extract.

• apollog
    16 years ago

Yes, sorry, I meant grapefruit. The word for grapefruit is grape in Icelandic (my second language, which I speak in the home); (Vitis) grapes are vínber or 'vine berries'. ÃÂ, fyrirgefðu!

• cacye
    16 years ago

I have used grapefruit seed extract for yeast infections and they only work for a while. They are the fastest, you feel results in about 4-5 hours, though. And you only need about 8 drops to an 8 oz. glass of water. Which begs the question, how much extact might actually interfere with the antibiotic? Is it a catalyst, where the amount doesn't matter, or is there an amount of activation, so to speak? If you take the extract several hours apart from the doxy, does anyone know if that does anything? How long are you going to be on the doxycycline? I generally think borax (yes, 20 Mule Team, 2.87 at Wal-Mart)is the best for skin. Certainly the cheapest. Mix 1 teaspoon to one 8oz. of water, stir and apply. For internal use I have decent results with neem and boron, 3 pills each, 3-4 times a day, Nature's Way brand. I would have to look up the amounts. Garlic is also good, but slow. And you sweat it, that is to say, it smells internal or external application.

• jlaw2_2008
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Grape fruit is good for hay fever treatment this i know. But you should consult a doctor before you you take or change any medicine, be it natural or allopatic. You can see the benefits of grape fruits in http://www.mamaherb.com/Remedies/View.aspx?id=106.
    Take care

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

While there's some evidence that grapefruit might have cancer-fighting properties, a recently published study found that grapefruit actually increased the risk of breast cancer in some women:

"Women in the highest intake categoryÂ60 grams or more per day, equal to slightly more than one-quarter grapefruit per day or half a grapefruit every other dayÂhad a relative risk (RR) of breast cancer 30% higher than women who ate no grapefruit (RR = 1.30). The trend of increasing risk with increasing consumption was significant (P = 0.015) after adjusting for weight, exercise, use of postmenopausal hormone therapy, family history of breast cancer, and other factors that could impact risk.

The same association was evident for women who had never used postmenopausal hormone therapy (RR = 1.44; P = 0.038) and for those with a body mass index below 25, the cutoff for overweight (RR = 1.32; P = 0.011). Although risk also increased for women who were current or past users of hormone therapy (either estrogen-only or estrogen-progestin combination therapy) and for those with a higher body mass index, the differences were not statistically significant. This finding suggests grapefruit's effect on estrogen is greatest in women whose baseline levels are lower to begin with, Monroe says.

The results are consistent with a biological effect of grapefruit on estrogen metabolism. At least 2 previous studies have found higher estrogen levels in women consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice, the authors note, and grapefruit is known to elevate serum concentrations of many drugs, including hormone replacement therapies. The US Food and Drug Administration requires hormone replacement products to carry warning labels stating that grapefruit juice may increase plasma concentrations of estrogen.

More study will be needed before this possible link to breast cancer can be confirmed. We do know that grapefruit affects metabolism of a number of drugs, so checking with your doctor before adding a grapefruit seed extract product is a good idea.

• apollog
    16 years ago

The grapefruit is a powerful reminder that the line between food and drug is an illusion. While many put grapefruit in a separate category because it has such pronounced effects, it doesn't take much digging to learn about other foods that exert pharmacological effects.

Isoflavonoids from legumes are another example: these foods can have significant effects on estrogen receptors. Lignans are another very different type of molecule that can change estrogen metabolism. Almonds, cashew nuts, oats, corn, wheat and apples have all demonstrated estrogenic activity in some studies.

Some foods have high anticoagulant activity - celery, fresh pineapple, natto, kiwi, wood ear mushroom, and less ripe figs and papaya. There is a recent report of apple-cranberry juice causing potential problems with warfarin therapy.

The list goes on and on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry-Apple Juice linked to possible problems with Warfarin

• simonf
    16 years ago

Good reading about grapefruit seed extracts here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)-Information and Benefits

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

That website has some unusual ideas about sources of health information:

Some nutritionists recommend GSE for the treatment of candidiasis, earache, throat infections, and diarrhea."

We're supposed to trust "some nutritionists" on what to take for these medical problems?
    There seems to be very limited solid evidence that grapefruit seed extract is antimicrobial, and it deals with organisms in culture media (i.e. test-tube conditions), not in the human body.

• rosie-888
    12 years ago

Greg2468
    I use Doxycline also Greg and the GSE. You can use the same day just make sure it is 2 hours apart, any supplements well away from abx. I find i am scratching so only wait only 1 & half hours sometimes less but that is not recommended. I have just changed to the powder as the liquid form inflammed my gut after several months,taking it three times a day. Still working out the dose on the powder as it is not as strong, but it is much more gentle. purchased it from Purebulk. It is a magic potion so go steady as it kills loads of bacteria that you need to get rid of anyway, also has a chelative effect just like other drugs do, so good idea to take colloidal minerals and vitamins to replace those lost, esp. vit D. Doxy also has a chelative effect. As long as you know this it is worth the effort. If I get a bad reaction usually stop for a day maybe lower the dose. Its a great natural product though and would recommend it. i have used Wild oil of oregano oil also and still do sometimes but prefer to get the kill off with the GSE
    I was advised not to use GSE with any macrolide antibiotics or Diflucan. Doxy was not mentioned as a problem Hope this helps. check your DHEA level also these drugs over the years seem to remove that as well. just hd to find out for myself.

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Loudoun County
More Discussions