Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtranok

cure for geographic tongue!!! hooooray!!! i found it!!!!!!

jtranok
16 years ago

What we all have is also known as a "fungus infection of the mouth" and the cure is "NYSTATIN" (google it) and it can only be prescript by your Dr. I know many of you have suffered like I have. Spread the word I know many others would like to know this info. ;)

Comments (55)

• dededede
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please someone help me with my gt. NOTHING is working.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Sadly there is no cure for you here.

As for the rest of the thread, we can know if a factor causes a problem, and we can know if a factor does not cause a problem, or we can not know if a factor does or does not. Just because we do not know what factor causes GT to flair up does not mean we do not know that it is not Candida.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Wanna rephrase that, brendan? ;)

"Cures" for GT are hard to evaluate in part because of the disorder's relapsing and remitting nature. Other conditions whose symptoms come and go, and for which treatments are similarly hard to gauge include arthritis and multiple sclerosis. Things that are claimed to work for some of those afflicted just seem that way because they are used when the disorder is coincidentally entering a quiet phase.

For problems that do not have effective treatments yet (like GT) any alternative therapies should be a) cheap, and b) safe. Some lifstyle changes fit that description; nystatin doesn't.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Not what I meant. dededede was searching for a cure, she was the intended recipient, not the condition to be treated.

• hallet
    13 years ago

My GT was diagnosed by a dermotologist.it has been 24/7 for 3 months of burning.Is this normal? I see where people talk in episodes as if it goes away and returns.I would love for this to just go away for 1 day!Mine does not.It is not burning mouth syndrome either as I asked the dermotologist.Thoughts?

• imanetardieu_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I tried it it doesn't work sorry

• lucoui_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

multivitamins worked for me!

• vbutcher_heidrick_com
    12 years ago

My son has had this since birth... he is now 17 months... Nothing seems to help him. His tongue is constantly going through this cycle. Dr's can't treat him and he can't speak yet to tell me if he is in pain!!! so any suggestion would be wonderful!

• rusty_blackhaw
    12 years ago

Don't babies have a pretty good way of expressing discomfort?

It's probably best not to treat this if it isn't symptomatic.

• paul-pr
    12 years ago

I've had geographic tongue for many years and I was desperate for a cure. I saw this website and thought I had finally found a cure. I went to my doctor and got 10 days supply of "NYSTATIN" thinking it would return my tongue tp normal again.

It didn't, in fact everything just got worse! It made the symptoms at least twice as bad as before and the additional damage is irreversible.

Why do people insist on giving out advice which they are not qualified to give. Desperate people will take note and may have to live with terrible consequences.

I think this thread should be removed and I am considering legal action against the hosts of this website as they are solely responsible for publishing bad advice.

Paul.

• rqeversole
    12 years ago

You should probably reread your terms and conditions. You should also stop making idle threats, as it is YOUR responsibility to determine what works for you. If your physician is uneducated enough to prescribe antibiotics for your conditions, then it is the physicians fault, not someone who posted what cured their condition. Get real, and get wise.

• Lute
    10 years ago

geographic tongue treatments:

First of all I should mention I have had geographic tongue for about 22 years. I talked to three MDs over a 5 year period, was tested and diagnosed to be healthy and only have geographic tongue. (Brush my tongue... That's it)

They say, Geographic tongue naturally goes through cycles of improvement and worsening over time. A simple head cold can cause it to flare up.
    Even on an average day it's so obvious to other people, embarrassing is an understatement.

One day I tried ECHINACEA for a head cold, I average one head cold a year, and seasonal allergies. This treatment not only helped with head colds, it also lowered my geographic tongue symptoms. on an average of 1 to 10. I was about a 4 to 8. Now I'm a 0 to 2. It's been about 8 years now, no side effects...

To be on the safe side I go off this Herb ones a month for a couple of days. the geographic tongue always comes back and then I go back on and it go's away... takes a few days to work.

For me this works great. I star off with 3 a day for 2 days, then 2 a day for 2 days, then 1 in the morning with my multi vid. Again this works for me. Please check with your MD, be safe and let me know how this works for you?
    take care,
    Lute

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Lute:

I've been studying geographic tongue from a Chinese herbology perspective. If you understand these principles, I'll say that this condition reflects a Stomach Yin Deficiency.

If you don't mind me asking, do you experience low appetite? Excessive feeling of fullness when you eat? (Possibly, but not necessarily, do you need to drink lots of water, eat often through the day to satisfy inordinate amount of frequency of hunger pains? Are you a worrier? Dream a lot?)
    Do you have a past history of auto-immune illness, in which case, it's understandable why echinacea would definitely have good affect on you? Also, do you have any history of eczema? Sometimes, a yin deficiency of the Stomach may show as constipation with dry stools.

I'm only asking these questions to see how accurate my education is. You don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable posting this on a public forum.

I should add that when someone has this yin deficiency of the Stomach, there may be other systems of the body involved. For instance, the Spleen system may likewise be involved. It's not the final analysis of your situation, but it's certainly a large part of it.

Thanks.

HerbDoctor

This post was edited by HerbDoctor on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 20:39

• edward122
    10 years ago

Hey everyone. I just signing in to say that I've seen a HUGE improvement in my geographic tongue ever since quitting soy. I was drinking a lot of soy milk, pretty much 1/2 a litre per day on average. I now suspect that I developed a soy allergy or that the soy interfered with my zinc absorption. If you're getting geographic tongue, I strongly recommend you look at your diet very carefully. Good luck to everyone

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

edward:

From what you're saying, excess soy milk caused your GT? Then why do some people have it but do not take soy products? I mean taking soy products isn't a pre-requisite, is it?

HerbDoctor

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

want to make just one point in response to a comment posted above re echinacea and auto immunity. echinacea often triggers episodes in those with auto immune disorders.

this is a well documented phenomena so if you have an auto immune disorder, beware. echinacea is probably not the best herb for you. astragalus herb would likely be a much better choice for boosting immunity without side effects, its a mild food type herb yet very effective, use it to make stocks, soups, tea.

• Orithal
    10 years ago

Based on a lot of looking around and many discussions with several dentists it pretty clear there is no single root cause to GT. So I think it may help people to recognize that GT is really more of a symptom of probably many different root causes.

That said I have had GT for at least a decade. I find that acidic foods, especially Kiwi are very hard on me. To the point that my tongue will bleed. Over the last few years I've had more acidic foods do this. So I've been a bit more aggressive in my search for something that will alleviate my symptoms.

In my case I finally found something that appears to be helping. Biotene mouthwash seems to be doing the trick. I've tried other mouthwashes but the alcohol content in the mouthwash just burned so bad I couldn't use them. I've also tried salt washes, gargling with baking soda, brushing my tongue, scraping my tongue, pretty much every over the counter measure I can find.

My nephew happens to have GT as well. I told him that Biotene was helping me and he might want to give it a try. After about a month he is also finding some relief.

Just to be clear I still have GT. Biotene is not a cure but it is helping me deal with the more severe issues my GT is creating. I'm finally starting to be able to taste foods instead of many food flavors being ruined by a burning sensation.

• mimi8998
    10 years ago

I was hoping to find some help for this ailment from this site. I have had GT for maybe 15 years now. i went to a doc to find out exactly what it was and he did a biopsy and it came back as psoriasis of the tongue! That blew me away and i could not find anything related to it on the internet. the doc had never even heard of it. But i have recently read that it can be similar to a psoriasis. i think i know exactly what caused mine. A long time ago they had a diet drink called the Hollywood diet drink. For a whole weekend that is all you ingest. It tasted good and was very citrusy!! On Monday when i put the first bite of food in my mouth i thought someone took a blowtorch to it. it was so inflamed. From that point on, i got the patches and the pain. I believe that citrus drink burned off some of the pappilae. So I learned to live with it and went through lots of flare ups. But a couple of months ago i thought, gee i havent had a flare up in a while. Well i spoke too soon cuz i went to Mexico a few weeks ago and although i really didnt eat spicy mexican food, i think the change in food and location aggravated it. it is now about as bad as it has ever been. I am going to try some of the mouthwashes suggested on this site and also try some zinc pills and see what happens. Good luck everyone.

• finallycured14
    9 years ago

Hey all!

I have found out what has been causing my geographic tongue, and how to make my tongue perfect again! I've tried just about everything you can think of to help cure it, and nothing did until I kept myself on a strict diet.I'D LOVE TO HELP YOU OR ANYONE with this problem, so reply/email me if you have questions. Please read below:

This is the worst for my tongue (In order of MOST irritation/white rings/numbness/pain on tongue).

1. Sugar/sucralose/aspertame - I'm not sure about stevia, but I'm guessing it would do the same thing as other sweeteners, and irritate my tongue. I used to use honey with my breakfast and when I cut out honey+all sugar...the white rings,pain, and numbness on my tongue dissapered within a week or so.
    2. Alcohol. Beer, whiskey, vodka and beer really affect my tongue. I can now tolerate a beer/shot/or glass of wine or two with a meal now IF I am perfectly strict with no sugar or anything else listed below for the day.
    3. Yeast, gluten, wheat. Every once in a while I can have a piece of Ezekiel bread. I would avoid ANYTHING with yeast, gluten or wheat starting off...introduce whatever you'd like when you have the rest of your diet secured. (I am still testing this, and you can too. I might or might not be intolerant to wheat bread and other healthy breads, but I have some testing to do with that still).
    4. Spicy foods. I stay away from, spicy salsa, pepper. Salsa with just tomatoes or non-spicy ingredients have been fine for me).
    5. Toothpaste with whitening agents, or extreme flavors such as mint, or cinnamon. ( I have used Therabreath original toothpaste, and Biotene toothpaste with great success. Although I prefer Biotene because of the cost and taste.)

I have gotten into a strict diet, and have taken up fitness and working out since it has great benefits when doing so along with working out. My diet is;

Breakfast: 10 oz. sweet potato, 1 cup of spinach, 8 oz chicken breast or turkey from deli, and 2 tablespoons of creamy raw almond butter (The Maranatha almond butter has 3 grams of sugar per serving, and I tolerate one serving fine, but if I go too much over that...it irritates my tongue just a little). IF I have fruit, I will have 1/2 banana or 1/2 an apple at a time. Remember, eat low sugar.

Lunch: 2 Eggs+4 egg whites, 1 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of spinach or celery with carrots.
    Tips; If you eat anything with sugar in it, eat with some protein like chicken, steak, turkey or things like that to slow down the process of digesting the sugar too quickly.

Dinner: 1 cup of quinoa OR 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal, Steak/chicken 8 oz, celery.
    Follow the 5 things I listed above, follow them strictly.. and after you've done that and healed your tongue back to normal, start re-introducing foods you once loved ONE AT A TIME so you know what has caused your geographic tongue. Pay attention to what has worked, and what doesn't, monitor your results and keep a log of what day you ate a certain food, and what day your tongue got worse. (Example; When I eat spicy foods/drink alcohol/eat too much sugar, the very next day-2 days later my tongue will be worse, so then I write it down and know that might have caused an irritation. So wait until your tongue has completely cleared up until you re-introduce another food item to base your food irritants on, and monitor your serving size to see if it agrees with your tongue).

I usually add a half of a tablespoon of Himalayan crystal salt to some of my meals to give a little flavor, (you could do the same if this is too bland for your taste).

I have been eating raw foods as much as possible now. Processed foods have preservatives that do not agree with my tongue, so I stay far away from them and I'm so much better off for doing that. I've been trying to stick to organic foods, because of the pesticides and chemicals used on foods that I honestly thing has been bothering my tongue. If you buy fresh lettuce..wash it off with water before eating... brush/scrub off sweet potatoes, carrots, celery etc.. GET THOSE CHEMICALS/DIRT OFF BEFORE YOU EAT IT.

My email is dapaintballfreak7@hotmail.com . I'll respond as quick as I can to your questions if you have any. Take care.

• ljcarroll13
    8 years ago

I developed geographic tongue after using Colgate Ultra White toothpaste for three weeks. I was horrified - I challenged Colgate, they sent me a cheque for $20 which I didn't bother to cash. I have tried many other toothpastes, even the ones for sensitive teeth, it just got worse. I have now found a wonderful toothpaste called Natural Lemon Myrtle Toothpaste. I buy their other products for my shop and thought I would try it and now have no symptoms. Well unless I eat highly spiced food, then it starts again, but the toothpaste seems to have a natural remedy in it. You can buy it on line - hope I'm allowed to publish the name of the company in New South Wales, Australia - www.lemonmyrtlefragrances.com.au. Lemon Myrtle is an Australian rainforest tree with natural antibacterial properties. The box sit has no Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, no added paragons, no added aluminium and no added fluoride. I suffered with my painful tongue for nearly 9 months so I really hope other people are able to find this product.

• ljcarroll13
    8 years ago

p.s. I notice the new Ultra White toothpaste produced by Colgate is a new modified recipe. I think they received many complaints.

• Indie RockerGirl
    7 years ago

I agree that Geographic Tongue may be worsened by yeast, but the initial trigger for me was Carmine, the red food dye found in many food products, particularly in candies. For me it started Halloween night, when I had under-cooked pizza (yeast), red wine, and a lot of Starburst candy (my favorite was red). The next morning, I had a very painful blister on my tongue, which then turned into geographic tongue. I had burning pain for years, triggered by spicy foods, sugar, alcohol, chocolate, and even fresh fruit. It turned out the reaction for fruit was from the pesticides on the fruit (cherries, strawberries, apples, etc).

What worked for me was to brush my tongue at night before sleep after brushing my teeth with a natural toothpaste that contains no fluoride. Once a week I brush my teeth and tongue with activated charcoal. It is messy, but it really helps. Avoid yeast, sugar, alcohol, processed foods, and fruits sprayed with pesticides. If you do have these foods, then rinse your mouth with lemon water and then be sure to rinse with plain water so you don't harm the enamel on your teeth.

• Danica Papali
    7 years ago

I was recently told I have geographic tongue and have struggled with thrush for years but lately it does look like geographic tongue. I think that the Candida brought the condition to this state. My current doctor claims that the nystatin won't work but I have some from my dentist and it takes a lot of swishing and hyperbiotics but Im getting some relief, also on the paleo diet. I've also had some OB/Gyn doctors who told me not to worry about candida yet a DO suspected it after numerous health issues and ran blood work he found it had gone into the bloodstream, which is very dangerous and had destroyed my health-it could have been very bad, had he not caught the issue. However many other doctors deny this could be an issue, my health records prove otherwise. I wrote off the possibility of candida for years but it ended up being more of an issue than I ever thought possible, and yes die off is a real thing, I didn't believe It was real before experiencing symptoms.

• cknassau
    7 years ago

I suspect I have the same thing. What type of test do I need to do? Plus i have a pain in my upper right side, which may be my colon. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last September. All is well. Just diverticulosis, but the candida I feel manifests in other places. Thank you

• marc .
    6 years ago

I had GT for 2 years and very painful. After doing a lot of research I took some Nystatin and it seemed to help for a while. It did not disappear totally. Doing further investigation I beleived that candida was causing this. I started taking apple vinegar cider 3 times per day. First week I had horrible headache ( I read it was the die off reaction of the candida). My GT went completly away on the 3rd week. Since then I have also change my diet and take apple vinegar cider just once per day in the morning. It's been 2 years now and still no GT. This is my experience. Hope that might help. Marc

• pbe3
    6 years ago

To marc: Didn't the apple cider vinegar make your tongue burn? Because the vinegar is acidic.

• pbe3
    6 years ago

I never had GT until 3 months ago. And now in addition I am having symptoms of a stomach ulcer/gastritis and I get acid in my mouth if I have carbs in my stomach (?). The GT was getting better until the stomach problems started. I wonder if they might be related (perhaps something caused both). I've read that albuterol (an asthma inhaled med) can cause GT and I've been using a long acting version of a similar drug - don't know if it's related. No typical signs of candida and my allergist just checked. Considerable emotional stress and decreased sleep last month (my kid was having a hard time choosing a college, etc). I have an autoimmune disorder, asthma, allergies. My diet, now with my stomach problem, is limited to mild vegetables, poultry, fish, olive oil. Anyone have suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

• marc .
    6 years ago

No. I use one tablespoon of ACV diluted with warm water and a bit of honey. I also change my toothpaste for a natural one. The one I use now has tea tree oil and it feels good on my tongue. I buy at a health food store. It's called xyli white Neem and tea tree. But you can try other one too as long as not pharmacy bought. Even Biotene did not help for me. Good luck. Marc

• Danica Papali
    6 years ago

If you want to check candida an infectious disease MD, a DO or even an immunologist can do bloodwork, also vinegar can make candida worse if it's that-but if nystatin is helping that's a sure sign, just make sure to get nystatin that is compounded without sugar.

• mike_photo2
    6 years ago

the worsening of symptoms the above poster saw with nystatin use was probably a die off reaction. he probably stopped the treatment immediately and just assumed the meds made him worse and got angry and lashed out at everyone on this page. ive learned sometimes you have to get worse before you get better and this is often the case when addressing stubborn infections

• mkjshep
    6 years ago

I got GT in my early thirty’s. I went through a stressful few years. I lost a lot of weight and think my immune system was at it’s lowest. The cure for me was very simple. I wish they made this twenty years ago. My son was using a tounge scrapper. I thought I would get one and try it. With in a few days all the spots disappeared. I truly believe it is simply bacteria on the tounge that feeds GT. I use the tounge scrapper morning and night and haven’t seen it since. So simple. Try it, they sell them every where.

• chrisandlisalow
    5 years ago

i only get geographic tongue when i'm run down... so my cure is to NOT get sick... :C

and im sick now ;C

• chrisandlisalow
    5 years ago

oh wow, some people wrote the LONGEST comments i could think of! :o

• Adrienne Williams
    5 years ago

I cannot believe it! finally some relief! It's gone after 8 months of hell! I did 3 things. Started brushing my teeth with the "Lush" brand toothy tabs in Limelight. Taking a chelated zinc tablet daily and a daily probitoic. It's gone! It took 2 weeks. I hope this works for someone else because geographic tongue is the worst!

• pbe3
    5 years ago

Adrienne - great! Do you think it was all 3 of these things together? Is there any way to sort out which helped the most? Also, what probiotic did you take and how much of it/day?

• Mihab Shopon
    5 years ago

Pbe3,,, anything so far do u get?

• pbe3
    5 years ago

Mihab - No, sorry, I did not hear back from Adrienne.

• Adrienne Williams
    5 years ago

Sorry I missed this! I do think it's all 3 together yes. I think the toothpaste irritates the tongue makes it worse. I'm still going strong. Visually I can still see some geographic tongue but the burning and pain has completely gone. I take Inner Health Once a day probiotic. Still on the Lush toothy tabs and the Zinc is Blackmores. :) I really hope this works for you guys.

• pbe3
    5 years ago

Thank you, Adrienne!

• Mihab Shopon
    5 years ago

Pbe3,, what are u doing for ur gt?

• pbe3
    5 years ago

Mihab - I find that taking a low dose zinc supplement helps somewhat and avoiding simple carbs (such as white pasta and white bread) makes it worse the next day, so I try to avoid that. But the problem has not completely gone away. I think it may be related to my asthma inhalers - started after I started them.

• Mihab Shopon
    5 years ago

Pbe3,, how long have u been suffering GT? Actually I got so many questions to ask coz I'm suffering with it. Add me over what's up , 0027845609624 please... Im just about to get crazy coz of GT... Please

• Tara Martin
    5 years ago

I had geographical tongue for years as a child and teenager. Str . Oddly, it went away once I got to my mod and late teens. (Mid teens). Anyone else magically get cured for no reason?

• HU-334927528
    5 years ago

Read some of the comments above. ive had GT my whole life, most likely started my toddler yrs. I do all the oral care you mentioned, used Toms toothpaste, never had a doctor prescribe nystatin because doctor think GT is a minor issue & refuse to discuss my options. I now take Enchinacea pills 3-4 per day and wow, this basically keeps my tongue clear. Foods I avoid are all tree nuts and packaged foods(preservatives). I also decrease strawberries, pineapple, and banana in my diet. These foods cause my tongue to swell and then a GT reaction a few hrs later. I believe GT is yeast, ph balanc, And a food allergy issue. As of now the Enchinacea reverses and clears my tongue over night, hope this helps others. Pls do research as I’ve read thes pills are not good for ppl with immune disorder.

• mike_photo2
    5 years ago

All the foods you mentioned will release histamine. GT is related to mast cell activation and will flare your tongue. ive had some great luck with mastic gum for calming down flares

• tvslick
    5 years ago

This gets rid of GT for me. Hope this helps like it helped me! Within 2 days I noticed this was really working for me!

Women's One A Day ( I take the age 50+) = 1 tablet per day

Super B-Complex = 1 tablet per day

D3 1000iu = 1 tablet per day

I take these all together after breakfast in the morning, just once a day.

• HU-703716087
    4 years ago

We are suppliers of the best quality iboga rootbarks around the world, we have got three types that is;

Powder

Shradded and

Natural Iboga Rootbarks.

Our Iboga has been well harvested with little or no inner roots. It is also well sunned under good weather and climatic conditions,

We also have seeds that have been extracted from the best quality iboga plant, very resistant to bad weather and climatic conditions

as well.

For more information regarding our prices and shipment details you can reach out to us via this email address;

africanshrubs.info@gmail.com

• Keep Toddlers Busy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There is so much info on the internet and none of it seems to be right or perfect.

They say GT is not contagious, and I know it's not, but my experience has been weird.

My first encounter with GT was my daughter at 9 months old. It got worse over time and took me months to realize it was GT.

Then 6 months later I STARTED SEEING GT ON MY OWN TONGUE for the first time in my life at 32 years old. That freaked me out. For both of us it has been coming and going for 2 years since then. I even saw a patch on my four year old's tongue once around the time that my GT started and then it never came back.

They say its not usually painful, but I feel it starting and it hurts when it spreads. My daughter gets them worse on the side of her tongue when teething and I think mine is worse with carbs and sugar.

That makes me think its an immune response, but why am I just getting this now after my daughter. Ugh. I may try the ECHINACEA. GT is sooo annoying and it is a big deal even if its not "serious" because of quality of life.

• HU-454948231
    4 years ago

I have geographical tongue and I have tried a lot of different remedies , medicines etc and nothing worked some did help but It always returned , I then Put myself on a diet and ate healthy I did noticed that it improved and I hardly ever had it but I did notice when I ate something sweet , chocolate , etc it would flare up , I found out I was pregnant and ate whatever I wanted , straight away it returned with a vengeance , I know a lot of people say there is no cure , which I don’t think there is , but the Only improvement I noticed is when I ate healthy and cut out a lot of sugar , I hardly got it , and not saying this would work for everyone but after having this ‘Condition’ For ten years then only time I seen a huge improvement was like I said the healthy eating and less sugar intake ,

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions