Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishies_gw

Operation Hair-B-Gone

fishies
18 years ago

Have any of you ever had laser hair removal done? I started getting treatment this past weekend on my fuzzy armpits, and I'm a bit confused by the expected results. Some people say it's great; others that it's not worth it at all. I guess all I can do is wait and see, but I'm wondering if any of you have ever done it? What were the results? I'm looking forward to a summer free of pit-fur (no more waxing/buffing/shaving/plucking!), but I hate to get my hopes up.

Shelly

Comments (25)

• tisha_
    18 years ago

I've never had it done, but I've always wanted to. Keep us updated on your results.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Yeah, let us know how it goes.
    I have really sensitive skin, and I wind up with a rash nearly every time I shave, so tried having my pits done via electrolysis. OW! It's one torture session after another after another --most unpleasant, and not cheap either.
    I finally gave it up. I hardly have any pit hair left...just enough so I still have to shave :(
    At that time our area didn't have any experts in the nacent laser technique. I didn't want to be the one they practiced on! Now I definitely think it'd be the way to go.

• chrissy
    18 years ago

Hey Fishies,
    We don't have anything like that around this redneck part of the country. I'm lucky though, me being blond my hair is thin and grows SLOWLY! I shave approx once every 10 days.
    But I do have a bikini line question! It seems the skin in that area is similar to jen's and I get a rash after shaving. I was thinking about trying Nair or one of those similar products in hopes of bypasing the whole rash thing, I've never tried anything like this before (always just shaved, no wax, no nair, no electrolisis or lasars), is it a good idea or no? Any suggestions?
    Fishies, the only people I've known that have done the lasar thing (live in CA) have just got it done on their 'Stache and it's worked well for them. Good luck with your pits!
    C~

• shiver
    18 years ago

Yeah, I've had it done many, many times. I spent thousands of dollars on it as I was desperate to solve my fuzz problem, but it was worthless. Hair just kept coming back, and worse yet, the treatments left burns all over my skin no matter what intensity they set the laser on. Save your money, save your skin, and save yourself a huge amount of pain----don't do it.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

Well I have had facial hair lazored off. For you youngsters, you don't know what could be ahead for you. I think it is definately worth the money for facial hair. Unfortunately, it only works on dark hair. So if you or blond or grey, it won't work. I spent about $800 over 2 years and now my facial hair issues are much much better. Dark facial hair can be a nightmare if you have it.

There is an upfront cost that can be sizable. I think I spent close to $500 and then I needed I "touch ups"

The experience is really strange. You are wearing sun glasses with this lazor machine that makes a big noise, bright light, burst of pain and smell of burning hair. And it goes on and on-every little dark hair. Under the nose is particularly awful. All men reading this-you have no idea what pain a woman will go thru for fear their husband might feel a bristle.....

But I am glad I did it. It's a terrible feeling to be going thru menopause and realize you won't be having any more children but you might have to start shaving OMG!

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL, toots! Yeah, I understand. I haven't gone through menopause yet, but turning thirty did some weird stuff to my body hair growth patterns. It is popping up in the most unlikely places! I asked the technician some questions about hair regrowth, and she said that I would be prone to regrowth if I had a baby, and also when I go through menopause. But you know, if I can get the current pit-fur issue under control, I think I'll be able to deal with whatever small amount of hair regrows during pregnancy or menopause. It's not like it's a really visible part of my body like my face - that must have been so difficult. Although, given the current trend of hair growth, I may be able to commiserate with you someday - I have a feeling that come menopause, I'm going to be dealing with some fairly serious chin fur :)

I did some research before beginning the treatments, and the consensus is pretty much what you've described: works best on dark hair (especially coarse, dark hair apparently), and on people with fair skin. I have dark brown hair and skin that's practically translucent, so I guess I'm the perfect candidate.

Shiver, do you think that maybe your skin or hair tone didn't make you an adequate candidate for the laser treatment? Or was it the laser, or technician? What type of laser was used, do you remember?

I did find the first treatment a bit painful, but it's not a lingering pain. A quick burst of heat, and then it's over. It's VERY stinky (that burning hair smell practically seeped into my dreams), but WAY less painful than a tattoo, where the needle keeps going over and over and over the same half-inch spot for what feels like forever.

So toots, how long did it take before you started to see results? You said you put down an initial payment of about $500. That would cover about 5 or 6 treatments, right? And you needed a few more after that? Do you remember what type of laser was used? What colour hair was targetted?

Jen - a friend of mine got electrolysis done on her moustache, and she too said it was Incredibly Painful. She's also had laser hair removal done on other parts of her body (very sensitive other parts of her body), and she said that even there, the pain was nothing compared to the electrolysis.

Shelly

• shiver
    18 years ago

I have skin so white it matches my socks, and black hair. I was the "perfect candidate" as well, and ended up with blisters every time they put the laser to me. I went to several different places for treatment, including a physician, and they used the two different types of lasers available. Perhaps it works for others, but it was just useless for me. What I have found that DOES work is a cream called Vaniqua----you have to go to your doctor to get it, but it works like a miracle on all parts of the body. The downside: if you stop using it, the hair will grow back.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I am not sure what type of machine was used. I was disappointed not to see immediate results but then the hairs fell out about a week later. It is important to go back at the right time, ie growth cycle of the hair shaft. I think that cost covered 3 or 4 visits but then if I wanted both my chin and upper lip it cost more. I went back every 6 months for a couple of years. Now Kelly House has a wax machine and I wax intead of laser because the problem is much less severe.

My facial hairs were dark brown. Unfortunately the white fuzzy hairs remain. You are not supposed to be out in the sun prior to the treatment. You are not supposed to be tan-it will cause uneven coloring. They used a less intense treatment at first and then increased it with each treatment. I was red for a day or two but used an aloe product that really helped.

The pain is not all that bad. It is just the repeated zapping. My technition used the fast approach to get it over quickly. I start to laugh as I think about how bizaar the experience was. And then I did not tell DH-I was embarrassed. I charged it and knew he would notice the $450. Once I had a smooth chin I talked about it with him and with other women. No one notice I had a problem....and here I thought my staff was whispering Why doesn't the boss do something about that beard.

It was a problem for me though. I was obsessed with plucking every little black chin hair and when it go too much, I SHAVED IT OFF and that made things much much worse.

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, so it's two weeks after my first laser treatment, and I've got about a 90% reduction in pit-fur. The technician said that I could reasonably expect a 30-50%reduction after the first treatment, so I'm guessing that some of the hair will grow back. I've had no soreness or red spots or anything. Looks like this laser hair removal thing is a go!

And let me tell you, it is a fine thing to be almost completely fur-free, even if it is just for the moment :)

Shelly

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Shelly,

I congratulate you on your success, be it permananent or an ephemeral thing.

You could theoretically become a spokeswoman for PETA, and your first crusade for them would be to find a synthetic alternative to the bear hair used for the Buckingham Palance guards' helmets (it comes from Canadian black bears).

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

That should be Buckingham Palace, of course.

I was just trying to confuse y'all - Buckingham Palance is the not-so-famous pig rider brother of Jack Palance.

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeffrey, I wish you could hear how hard I laugh at some of the things you write. It's really loud. Like this:

HEE HEE HEE!!!

Honestly, I think I woke up my landlords.

But listen, I don't get the link between pit-fur and bear-fur. Are you suggesting that those in the know at Buckingham Palace ought to replace the bear fur with my pit fur? Because if so, I think it's a great idea and about time!

Shelly

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

No link other than the fact that both are fur. I am suggesting no such thing, milady - perish that thought, or, in other words better forgotten, furget it.

I am glad I was responsible for a yuck in Ottawa!

• chloeasha
    18 years ago

I haven't done laser! But I wax. Everything. Everywhere. Riiiiiiiiiiiip! Riiiiiiiip! LOL!

I found waxing my legs to be worse than the full brazilian (other than shame factor of being on all fours, naked, with some stranger... or on your back.. same situation...)

But I love it. I love the fact that I am HAIRLESS and don't have to spend who-knows-how-long (ok 5-10 minutes) shaving everything or dealing with razor burn on the ummm "area" and forgetting, or you all know those moments where you think "CR*P!!! I forgot to change my blade!!!" or "CR*P!!! I forgot to buy razors and i threw that other one away, maybe if i jump out of the shower and maybe it will be clean still..." then you slip and fall on the tiles and curse the people who introduced you to that lovely hairless feeling and possibly also the fact that you are on your honeymoon and the wax cycle was all wrong so you have to shave and it's like 5*F in that bathroom and you are now ON THE COLD FREEZING FLOOR naked and p*ssed... and still not any closer to being shaven and then you see that your razor is very DIRTY and you have to make a break for it across the apartment to get the spare and oh the hot water will be gone when you come back... and OMG i also just nearly tripped over Dh while he is praying and I dripped all over the poor guy and his prayer rug... and I know he is now distracted and OMG where is that spare?! or maybe that's just me...

Where was I? Oh yes. I love wax. Wax is awesome. Wax is so awesome that I dread shaving. I really do.

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL!

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay. So it's been about 3 weeks since my second laser hair removal treatment, and I am almost totally pit-fur-free.

I'm ecstatic. Just in time for summer!

This laser business is finally proving itself useful. Forget military and medicinal uses... it gets rid of my pit fut!!! Now *there's* a use for lasers that I can get behind.

(BTW, "I think it's a great idea, and about time" is a Moonstruck quotation. I'm addicted).

• Mentha
    18 years ago

Just leave me to my razor. Or maybe like my husband, when I turn forty I'll vow to grow a beard. I won't shave unless he does, hehe. I'll go aux natural! That'll teach him to threaten me with nose invasion. I hated when he had a moustache, I'd vacuum in his hair every time we kissed, it was gross. I did the nair thing, the wax thing, pluck, pluck, pluck, until I throw the tweezers, I cringe to think about lazer, I'll stick to my razor, thank you.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Somehow it makes me think of a square dance call-out

Look Ma
    I got no hair
    I done got lasered
    And my pits be bare

(accompanied by some good old-time clapping and foot stamping, of course)

• Mentha
    18 years ago

swing your pardnar round and round an' dosey, doh!

I have always wondered what a dosey doh was. Anyone know for sure?

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Dos" is the French word for "back". I think it has something to do with dancing with your back to your partner, since I seem to recall from Junior High gym class that the 'do-see-do' bit refers to the partners not facing each other, but dancing around each other clockwise.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Yep, that's right. They fold their arms and kind of skip backwards in a circle around each other. Sounds harder than it is. (We got put through the paces in gym class, too!)
    Glad to hear the lasar is working!

• Mentha
    18 years ago

We only did the fox trot in gym class, bummer!

• jimmyread
    14 years ago

No i have not tried laser but i have heard lot about electrolysis it is a permanent hair removal method.For more info about the electrolysis hair removal or electrolysis hair removal side effects you can visit: electrolysis hair removal

Here is a link that might be useful: electrolysis hair removal side effects

• Onyxlaser
    13 years ago

In my opinion laser hair removal treatment is much more effective and safest method if its operated under highly technically qualified physician or work under renouned clinic and Onyx which is located in london known to be best clinic which works under modern technology named as Onyx

• Cocktailmix89
    10 years ago

Right, just for anyone interested in the long run, I just wanted to share my beauty secret with you all because I truly believe EVERYONE should know about this product and it wouldve saved me loooads if I knew about it longer ago!!! IÃÂ

Right, 3 years ago I was really embarrassed about my hairyness. My legs and arms were terrible and I had side burns and hair upon my lip n i HATED it. I must tried just about everything n turned to waxing but I couldnt get myself to do it cuz I knew when I was gonna pull the strips off so I knew when to expect the pain so I starting going to the beauticians. It didnt really get easier though and it cost me loads cuz I had hair all over. I tried home sets of this and that n was about to give up and splash out on laser but then my last attempt turned to HairyCure. Some herbal oil, a friend told me about. Anyway, thinking "ohyea herbal ey..." decided to give it a go because it was a recommendation from a friend. So online I went n ordered 1 bottle. Cant remember what site exactly or how much precisely but it didnt even cost 50pounds, i remember that much cuz i remember how much it would be saving me if it worked compaired to the beauticians and certainly laser. Anyway. it said to remove the hair from the root so I went down ÃÂ the waxing route again and rubbed it in. I was pretty shocked to notice my hair came back much slower n much much much thinner. Could it really work?? I couldnt explain it. Anyway 4 or 5 waxing attempts later n ive got to say, i still cant explain that im hairless 3 yrs later. im so glad i tried this cuz the hair under my arms was really irritated from razors n shaving so thats finally no longer a problem that is such such suchh a nice feeling especially in the summer and it MUST prove that its ok for sensitive skin, because before my skin under my arms was red raw. I think more women and even men should know. try it, if it stopped the nasty thick hairy arms and legs that i had, im convinced it will get rid of anything. Hope this has helped you, even if it's just one person x HAIRYCURE PEOPLE - GOOGLE IT!!!!!! x