Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have fallen in LOVE with Freecycle

Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 9:26

Have you guys heard of this site? Someone on gardenweb clued me into it a few years ago. People can list stuff that they want to get rid of, or alternately, stuff that they need. The only catch is that it has to be free - no money can exchange hands (well, and that the stuff listed has to be legal - no firearms or bodily organs or medication or anything).

Anyway, I posted a request yesterday for a dining room table and chairs, and wouldn't you know it? Someone posted an offer at almost the same time for a dining room table and chairs! So, this morning, I'm going to pick up a new-to-me 1960s teak dining set! Isn't that incredible?

And not only that, but I was able to give away a bunch of bath salts and bubble baths and tea towels and stuff that I'd gotten as gifts over the past year or two, but never used. Someone is also going to take my ugly old cafe table! And one of the people who's taken some of my offers, has herself offered to help me pick up the table and chairs with her van! So not only do I clear out some clutter and get a free dining room set, I don't have to pay for a delivery company to pick it up!

I strongly suggest you all check out freecycle if there's a group in your area. It's fabulous for clearing out clutter, or for picking up household items that don't necessarily have to be new... and it helps keep "stuff" out of our landfills! I love it.

Shelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Freecycle.org

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have fallen in LOVE with Freecycle

Hey! That's pretty cool! Thanks for posting this.

o

yay! i LOVE stuff like this. thanks for posting, shelly. i've been using craigslist for awhile now, but it doesn't seem to be as active in tucson as it was in oregon. i'm going to have to check this out since we are in sore, sore need of furniture.

-ming

o

Has anyone watched that new show (I think it's on HGTV) called FreeStyle? Where they send a designer in to come and rearrange your stuff for you, to make it look better? Supposedly they use only the stuff you (or your roomates) already own and fix up a room to make it more functional and stuff than the way you have it. It's a pretty fun show to watch. Some of those people own some really awesome stuff. LOL! I'd love to see what they'd try to do w/ our stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freestyle

o

I have heard about Freecycle on some other message boards. My life has been pretty busy lately and I haven't look into it yet. People who have used this sound pretty excited though, like you Shelly

Larry

o

Thanks for the heads up on Freecycle, Shelly! I signed up this morning after reading your post and have already arranged to give a bunch of my extra seeds to someone doing an after school program. Way cool!

o

I haven't had a chance to check in to Freecycle either. Around here if you want to get rid of something you put it by the side of the road with a "Free take me" sign on it and it is gone in no time.lol It works great on large items...got rid of a little tykes sand box that way. The small items don't tend to get noticed that way so free cycle may be a great way to get rid of more stuff.

Foxy.

o

I got a computer on freecycle. I also got a terrarium for starting cuttings. I even gave some kittens away, and have some chicken wire and geranium cuttings waiting for me to pick up.

o

I got homes for my kittens on Freecycle, also for some books, and I got some double-glazed windows which we have plans for! You can find out useful things like where and how to recycle, too. I recommend it to anyone, it's worldwide. If you haven't one in your area, you can start one with their help.

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 11:47

Isn't freecycle fabulous? I was speaking with one of the regular Ottawa freecyclers yesterday afternoon, and she told me that there are also foodshare groups associated with many American freecycle sites. I think that would be pretty handy - especially around Christmas, when some people have such an abundance of foods and sweets. Oh, and also at harvest time... because, honestly, who doesn't always plant WAY too much zucchini?

o

Well, so far I may have gotten someone to take my old computer desk. Oh, I've also offered someone a bridesmaid dress. They were looking for a forrest green one, but mine is navy blue. The wedding is in early February, so I figure if they get too short on time, maybe they'll figure that blue and green go good together. LOL

o

People are so awesome.

I posted on Freecycle yesterday that Keith's SIL (I've talked about her before) is trying to lose weight too. She has PCOS and is IR and is hoping to conceive in the not so distant future. She needs to lose at least 100lbs. Anyway, her doctor wants her to start walking more, but with winter coming up, she was worried about how she'd get her exercise in. She can't afford to buy a treadmill right now. So, anyway, I posted this on Freecycle, and I got a reply today. Someone is giving us a stairmaster and a stationary bike. Can you believe it? How awesome is that.

At first, I was a little aprehensive about posting this for Shanna, because sometimes she gives up on things too easily. And I can just see this equipment sitting in a room getting no use. But, I'm making her PROMISE that if she doens't end up using it, she'll let me know and I'll come get them and I'll use them. :-)

o

That's great, Tisha!

People on FreeCycle can be so generous. I recently got some baby clothes for DD that someone had offered. I went expecting a grocery store size bag of clothes. I couldn't believe it when she pulled out 3 kitchen size garbage bags full of clothes. It was all name brand stuff too. I won't need to buy DD any clothes for a year! LOL

FreeCycle rocks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here