Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ooojen

Call in the Pros--

ooojen
18 years ago

I surrender! I HATE mudding ceilings!! It's not that I can't-- I did several closets, ceilings included, and I mudded the hall ceiling. They turned out pretty good -- but it's a sucky job and I'm painfully slow! In order to do the living room, we'd have to haul all the furniture into the kitchen, and nobody in the family wants it there for the next month while I finish. DH, bless his heart, called a pro to come in and finish up. So, now the living room furniture is all in the kitchen or the front entry (door's blocked for now) but I figure it will be there a week tops, and then it will be done! YEEEEESSSSS!!!

Rocky the Wondercarpenter even showed up for a day last week and tore out some old plaster in DH's office so the walls could be rocked anew, aand he put in a new front doorframe (had re-used old one from 2x4 walls in new 2x6 walls) for us so now I can lay the subfloor and the tile in the front entry, aaand tore out the front coat closet to make way for my Christmas present from DH; a gas fireplace of my choice.

He'll come back another time this week and hang a few doors-- Progress- YEA!

Now I have to pick out my fireplace. I just love Heat-N-Glo's Cyclone model, but it's very pricey (SRP of 8 grand, plus installation) and doesn't throw that much heat. They call it "fire art", which is pretty apt-- it's more attractive than practical. I guess it's not really for me. *wistful sigh* ...but I'm sure I'll find something I like.

Anyway-- I've still got much work to do, but things are heading in the right direction!

Comments (6)

• tisha_
    18 years ago

That's great news!

I have no idea what mudding a ceiling consists of, but I'm pretty sure that I'm totally psyched that I am not having to do that. LOL

• fishies
    18 years ago

Jeepers creepers, Jen! That sounds like A LOT of renovation! But fun, too... don't you just love the post-renovation sit-down-and-look-at-what-you've-done part? That's my favourite part :)

Once you've got your camera stuff installed, I'd love to see some photos.

Shelly

• chloeasha
    18 years ago

Yeah1 We need photos!!! I would do that too.. I'd give up and let someone else do it in a sec! LOl!

• calla_lady
    18 years ago

Jen that sounds like excellent news! I agree - I hate mudding ceilings too! Especially if lean towards being a perfectionists, it can drive a person crazy! Are you doing a smooth finish?

When the time came for doing the sheetrock on part of our house (we worked in sections) the weather was very cold and very wet. My grandparents felt so bad for us trying to work on the house after work in the evenings while camping on our property (there was a "no occupancy" stipulation on our permit) that they financed bringing in a pro. What a difference! They did the job from start to finish in less than a week! Would have taken us months at the pace we were going. Also meant that we were blasted with that nasty dust the job creates all at once getting it over with. Sometimes bringing in the pros is worth it!

It is kind of ironic - we have been talking about replacing our gas fireplace / heater (wood stove model) that we initially installed for a real wood burning stove. Since we have Central heat now we rarely use it (our Enviro gas stove) and have been thinking that it would be really nice to be able to have a wood heat source. With all of the clean air modifications that we need for it, it is going to be spendy though. We are just kicking the idea around.

• ooojen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah yes, the perfectionist issue-- guilty as charged ;) When I started painting DD's closet and found myself worrying about a screw-head depression showing on the back wall, I figured I'd be hopeless with a big expanse of ceiling! I'd be at it forever! I don't like flaws in the work other people do here, either, but I know I'm a lot harder on myself with my own work.
    What a nice present from your grandparents, Alicia! That must've really made your lives easier. I'm so happy about getting out of a relatively small amount of mudding-- having finishing the whole house lifted off your shoulders must've made you ecstatic!
    We're having a shallow knock-down put on the ceiling. It's such a big expanse, all open from the end of the kitchen to the opposite end of the living room, that any defect or ripple will have plenty of chance to show. I think knock-down is the best option under the circumstances. (I've been scraping little DD's ceiling free of that awful vermiculite crud. That's another dandy job, but at least I'll be finished fairly quickly.)
    We have wood heat for our main heat source, but the furnace has an electric fan so if the power goes out, warm air can't circulate. We haven't had any extended power outages for ages, but (I lost my Pacific Parrotlette after the last one...) I'd like a backup. Also, we're on a hill, and the east side of our house is very exposed. When it gets really windy (hasn't so much this winter, but most winters we get a lot of E wind) it gets cold on this side of the house (don't suppose all the windows help things much). A fireplace on this side of the house could take the chill off on those E wind evenings.
    I'm thinking gas just because I don't want the mess of wood here between the kitchen and living room. Shoveling out ashes, dropping bits of bark...The wood would have to be stacked in the front yard in order to be convenient, otherwise I'd have to truck it halfway across the house. I know the mess we get in the basement from the wood furnace.
    I checked the Fireplace Forum and got some ideas for realistic logs. Still planning here, too.

Tisha-- it's a mess! Imagine using not-that-sticky paste to hold up pieces of paper tape that go all the way across your ceiling-- working up over your head-- trying to keep the part you've put up from pulling down while you move the ladder (pros use funky stilts) a couple of feet across the floor. Glop gets all over your hands, in your hair...mine anyway; I'm not a neat worker!

You got it Shelly-- I love having my space be my own creative endeavor. I don't mind having someone else do the taping and mudding, but there's no way on earth I'd ever want to hire someone to chose my decor for me! I look at my recently-completed backsplash and I know that I, personally, picked out where each chunk of stone would go, and stuck it there myself...it's really gratifying :)

I've taken some photos-- I'll try to get them up this week.

• foxykitten350234
    18 years ago

Jen, I don't blame you one bit. I hate working on ceilings with a passion. It is messy, slow going and exhausting work. The pros have the equipment to make it quicker and easier. Also they work on ceilings a lot more so they can do the work even quicker. A gas fire place is a wonderful addition. Been there done that with hauling wood through the house...it sucks.lol I can't wait to see pictures!

Foxy.