Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Here Done Venetian Plaster?

Posted by ooojen z4MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 06 at 11:54

We had to tear out a chunk of plaster ~2' wide all the way up one living room wall in order to put in some plumbing for upstairs. It's rocked and taped, but of course sheetrock doesn't match the old plaster. I'm going to have to do something there. Textured paint would be the easiest. I'd kind of figured on Anaglypta (textured paintable wallpaper-- I love the stuff!) but now I'm thinking Venetian plaster would look really nice. I think the decorating part of my brain has a masochistic streak-- I find myself drawn to the fussiest, most time-consuming options!
Has anybody here done the dirty Venetian deed on their own walls-- or lived with VP that anyone else has done? If so, I'd love to hear any tips for applications &/or pros and cons.
The "kits" are overpriced, but I'm not sure what I'd use for plaster (plaster of Paris sets much too quickly) for a do-it-yourself. (Who plasters anymore?) --- maybe a non-sanded grout?
I'd love to hear any ideas you folks may have. -- Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Here Done Venetian Plaster?

Hey Jen,
I have not tried the plaster yet. I have tried just about all the other techniques though. The last one I tried was the Ralph Lauren metallic faux finish. All I can say about that one is I'm glad I picked to do it in just the bathroom. I don't think I could have worked on a whole room. Very time consuming and you need to do it perfectly or do the whole room again. I thought I was finished once then DH found one of my hairs stuck in the paint and I had to go at it all over again. In the end I love it and so does everyone that has seen it so far.
My brother just did the suede finish on the lower portion of the walls in his billard room. It looks great but it took them awhile to do also and they said they would not do it again. Let me know what you decide, I'm interested in how it comes out.

o
RE: Anyone Here Done Venetian Plaster?

venetian plaster is a generic term for many types of plasters with varying grit and composition from shiny to dull, ultra smooth to stucco rough. Most popular is marmorino although veneciano (the smooth one) is also common. The marmorino is more subtle and natural looking, very durable and forgiving vs. the veneciano can require alot of burnishing (polishing). Alot of synthetics are on the market from Home depot and lowes, but of late you can get pro-products via the internet with superior results and durability. They may cost more but are worth it. I like Vero-Rialto products based out of LA, great customer service, they even make a sample for you. The anaglyptic papers are great for ceilings. I paint them silver and do a wash over them. Hope this helps.I've been doing it for like 15 yrs. Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here