Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootswisc

I've got news...a Senior moment

tootswisc
18 years ago

I am the President of our local Senior Citizen group. Primetimers is what we call ourself. A few months ago, we got an anonamous million dollar donation to build a Senior Center!!!!!Can you believe that. Then last week a local bank donated a 10 passenger van to our group.

All of a sudden my volunteer position-President of the Primetimers-has become a full time unpaid job. It is all way too exciting but also a bit of a worry (a big bit....no, a huge bit)

The endowment states we will get $50,000 a year forever. The city gives us $5000 a year for all of our program expenses that now includes a transportation program. We have a part time position-an independent contractor @$20,000 a year. So altogether we get $75,000 a year to build a senior center, develop all the programs and run a transportation program.

I am quite impressed with how far our group has come. I find myself full of nervous energy. I wonder how I can keep giving to this organization while trying to keep my business running smoothly. I sometimes spend more time volunteering for the Primetimers then I do running Kelly House.

But it is so exciting. I have the van parked in my drive-waiting for the plates to arrive.

Comments (10)

• canttype
    18 years ago

Wow! WTG! Congratulations!

Sounds great, but it also sounds like you have your work cut out for you!!I think you should look at delegating projects to someone else or put yourself on the payrole. Not enough time in a day to volunteer to a very busy program and run your business well?

Prioritize, organize and delegate!
    Good luck:-)
    Diane
    Hope you are not the bus/van driver too? LOL

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, for starters the President should learn how to spell anonymous.

Haven't you always wanted to be a bus driver? I picked up the van and found myself singing the wheels on the bus go round and round.

I think I am driving the bus on Tuesday as I suggested our paid staff person go to a Wisc Senior Center Assoc. quarterly meeting to try to pick up some some helpful info re: how to buid a senior center-maybe there is a book!

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hi Toots,

Congratulations to you!! Sounds happy & exciting but exhausting too.

Perhaps the AARP can suggest where to go for guidance/ suggestions on getting started? Also, pls. check out your local Dept. of Aging to see what assistance they can offer in starting up (I believe that's a State agency). Any chance the Small Business Administration can offer suggestions?

Congrats again & wishing you & your new endeavor lots of luck & good vibes!!

(PG) Karen

• tisha_
    18 years ago

Wow! Awesome! Congrats!

• fishies
    18 years ago

Yay! Money coming in is great! I mean, it's more responsibility, but at least you can do something, you know? I second Diane's suggestion of delegating responsibility - it's the only way.

Congratulations to you!! The President Who Will Make Things Happen!

Shelly

PS - I didn't notice initially that you were the one to suggest that the president learn to spell "anonymous"... I was thinking to myself, "HOW RUDE that someone would mention that!" LOL. But I guess if it's you, it's okay :)

S.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Wonderful news-- congratulations!
    I really think when you're working with that size budget, your job should be a paid position, even if it doesn't pay what it's worth. Seriously, if you're going to be putting in as many hours as you do on your job, a salary might allow you hire someone to take up a few hours of your regular work now and then.
    I know you're doing what you do as a labor of love, and I really admire you for it--- I'd just hate to see you burn out. Delagating responsibility is important, but it can be difficult to find people who agree to help...and not everyone who says they'll help will actually come through.
    Is there some kind of a board that you could ask to consider awarding you a stipend? There are only so many hours in the day. You're looking at two full-times jobs, both emotionally demanding!
    If you've got a good, enthusiastic group, maybe it will get easier. It's really wonderful of you to take the project on -- and really great that you got the funding! Just take care of yourself so you've still got your best to give :)

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Executive director....that's what I should be. I have often felt that Kelly House should be an agency. Our accountant said last week, you run Kelly House like it is not for profit.

He wants us to try to grow our cash in the business. He said, don't you want to make more money. I said I would like my staff to make more. He said, you should be thinking about retirememnt-if you ever want to sell your business it has to have more profit. I said, I need to sell it to someone like myself.

This Senior Center stuff is something I like to do and I do reap the benes by always having people knocking at my door trying to move into Kelly House.

I love what I do! And I feel really proud of myself that I have become an expert in my field. And my field is quite a good field to be in! Gosh darn it Diane...try to hold your emotions down. I just get so carried away....I could go on and on.

• fishies
    18 years ago

So go on and on! This is exciting stuff!

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, I am trying to teach myself not to go on and on. Sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. We have created a steering committee to start the process of how we should spend the endowment. We are really in the very early fact finding stage. We need everyone's imput and I tend to dominate the meeting. I need to learn how to ask questions and listen more.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Something you might think about when it comes to getting some kind of compensation for yourself--at some point you will want to retire, if not totally at least from that job. It will be easier to find a qualified person to take over if there's some kind of compensation in place. Once upon a time I had a job I really enjoyed for an organization that deserved the help of peope who weren't thinking about money first, and I told my mother I felt a little guilty being paid. (It wasn't much.) She said 'it says in the Bible the laborer is worthy of his hire.' Money is definitely not the most important thing, but it does have its place.