Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growhappy

What's for Dinner?

GrowHappy
18 years ago

I'm making Succulent Roast Chicken with giblet gravy, rice and green beans. I'm undecided on the hush puppies right now, but I'm leaning towards making them. What's everyone else cooking today?

GH

Comments (35)

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Ah, you're a tough act to follow!
    Lunch is going to be a pork chop for DH, and leftover pizza (leftover, but decent home-made stuff- low on grease and high on vegetables) for the girls and me. Dinner tonight-- I'm still undecided. I've been trying to finish up on little DD's closet (finished sanding this AM; have to prime, paint, and put up shelving) and if I get done early enough we'll have a nicer dinner than we will if it takes me until late in the evening.

• fishies
    18 years ago

Well, I just had popcorn for lunch (so much for eating more healthy, huh?), and in a few minutes, I'll be off to the mall and then the library. I'll probably be there until long after dinnertime, so who knows what dinner will be? Maybe a coffee shop muffin?

What's a hush puppy? For a split second I thought you were referring to shoes, but now I'm thinking it's probably some kind of food.

S.

• jujubee
    18 years ago

GH,
    Do you have a recipe for hush puppies? If so would you mind sharing?

Tonight we are just making hamburgers, hashbrowns and a green salad. Tomorrow is pot roast with onions and carrots, mmmm... one of my favorites

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

Popcorn sounds good. i just ate some brie cheese (I think anyway the rind was a bit intense)

I think we are having jambalya-we bought andui(sp?) instead of kilbasa. We sat down to eat kilbasa a fried potates made for ds who is home on break-we were not happy with the taste. So we have some peppers, chicken and shrimp...oh oh....I don't think we have celery. I really don't want to go to the store! Gil makes great jambalaya and states he feels like making it!

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jen, with all the work you're doing on DD's room, DH maybe should cook tonight? Are your girls old enough to cook yet? I'm starting early with Zoe, by letting her help with measuring and mixing ingredients. She loves it, so maybe, just maybe, she'll love to cook too when she's old enough.

Shelly- Ahhh, the life of a college student. I remember those days and how I longed for home-cooked meals. Then one day, I decided to make some attempts at learning how to cook for myself. It took a couple of years and some crispy meals, but I got the hang of it. LOL

JuJuBee- I have Patti Labelle's recipe for hush puppies- taken from "Labelle Cuisine" and I don't mind sharing HER recipe as taken from the book. Email me and I'll give it to you! I've tried it before and they are DELISH!

GH

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm, Toots, I love Andouille sausage and use it when I make Jambalaya. Hmmm....your dinner sounds really tasty!

GH

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hello all,

It's looking like spaghetti and meatballs tonight. And maybe some applesauce for dessert.

Larry

• kaleanna
    18 years ago

I made faitas and fries and greenbeans and sliced tomatoes for supper tonite.

Hugs

Meesh

• mingtea
    18 years ago

the rest of the mesquite smoked chicken geoff made yesterday in a SW style salad (roasted corn, black beans and green chile peppers). plus, the last of the fried won tons i made for the neighbors.

-ming

• Cena
    18 years ago

We were about an hour or further away from home, and you know those diabetics who are on a clock with eating... We went to Sizzler. I really wanted Wings & Things, but hey, life is hard.

I have eaten so much soup, and so many pots of beans, I'm starting a food revolt. Sigh.

I'm loosing weight...

I have found the bestest recipe finder ever. This site is AWESOME. I was looking for a better cornbread recipe to go with beans a day or two ago, found 167 on this site...
    http://www.recipesource.com/
    I mixed two up and came up with the best CB I've had in years. I usually use my Moosewood Recipe, but its MIA.

Hush puppies could be said to be deep fried cornbread with onions liberally added.

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

Dinner tonight was pierogies with pesto and chick peas, artichokes and a salad.

• tisha_
    18 years ago

I didn't have much time last night, so we had nachos for supper.

Taco meat, chips, melted cheese. Not too healthy, but it was good and fast. :-)

I'm not sure what we're going to have tonight. Keith has to take his truck in to have it fixed, so we'll probably be low on time again.

The past few weeks, he's had to be at work by 5:30am, which means we're usually in bed by 8:30pm. Man, that's screwing up my whole day.

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

Dinner tonight was kind of an odd combination..... Mexican pizza and vegetable rolls.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Never got to the Supermarket over the wknd, running out of lots so .... Muenster cheese, Avocado & tomato w/ mayo & fresh black pepper on W.W. toast.

Side of broccoli & sweet potatoes (leftovers).

MUST go shopping tonite!!

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've demoted myself from Roast Chicken w/Giblet Gravy to Bagel Bites tonight. LOL It's usually pretty simple and sometimes microwaveable during the weekdays. I do it up on the weekends when I have more time. I'm SO exhausted when I get home from work and after helping DD with homework, it's difficult. Adding some exercise to my daily routine would improve my energy levels, but I can't even make time for that! Ugh! I need to really get myself together in 2006!

GH

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Ok,

Another day another supper. Tonight we had panfried potatoes and onions along with some sliced ham. Not quite on my diet but who cares it tasted great!

Larry

• Mentha
    18 years ago

We're having sloppy joes tonight, it was going to be spaghetti, but I don't have any noodles, so I'm going to cook down the sauce. Tomorrow night I'm making turkey and dumplings from left overs from last night. Thursday, is kids' night with mom, so we never do anything fancy, they usually cook.
    Friday I'm going on a marriage retreat with my dh for a week. My mil is paying for the whole thing. The kids are going to be scattered around the state staying with family and friends. This is the first time ever since our honeymoon we've been childless for more than a few hours.

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

Tonight was a stir fry with carrots, zucchini, broccoli, onion, snow peas and tofu over rice.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Enjoy your retreat, Mentha! It sounds great!

Tonight we had big salads with 2 kinds of lettuce, peas, peppers, grape tomatoes, onions, cheese, strips of grilled chicken breast and a sprinkling of pecans or cashews. I went easy on the cheese (which I like a lot, but I don't mind limiting it because of all the other stuff I like), had just a few cashews and fat-free dressing. It was really good!
    DH isn't home yet, but he'll get a chicken sandwich w/lettuce instead-- more his style.

• Mentha
    18 years ago

Hey, look at that! I'm still signed in, but no capital 'M' yet. *sigh*

Thanks for the encouragement, Ooojen. I hope we have a good time, dh called it a vacation with the evenings ruined hehe. The conferences are in the evenings. He's not too big on the marriage retreat part, but hey, no kids, it can't be all that bad.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

Wow, some of us really eat healthy food. Last night we had the old standby of meatloaf, baked potatoes and green beans-where's the salad I asked myself. Still in the fridge was my response. DD came over and hates arugula which is what we had, thought about a piece of fruit but I guess we all had a second slice of meat to fill up(shaking my finger at myself)

• jujubee
    18 years ago

Tonight is cream of potato soup. During the winter we are big homemade soup people. Especially when its rainy and cold like tonight. Anyone have any good soup recipes?

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toots, I LOVE arugula. I grew some year before last. I love the smell and the taste. Your dinner sounds yummy!

JuJu, do you mind sharing your recipe for Cream of Potato Soup?:)

GH

• mingtea
    18 years ago

i used to love arugula, too, until i grew it one year! i had WAY too much of it--kept feeding it to the lizards and giving it away, but i finally pulled the plants because i couldn't handle the nutty zing anymore.

tonight for dinner we are having chinese long beans stir fried in a dry thai curry with pork, carrots and onions.

-ming

• chrissy
    18 years ago

Hmmm, I think I'll make my Yankee Potroast with redwine, horseraddish, sugar, lots of cranberrys and cinnomen (?sp) sticks,oh and onion too. It smells amazing when it cooks and serve it with mashed potatoes...YUMMY.
    C~

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

Yum Chrissy-how did it turn out.

Tonight we are having spagetti over fresh pasta (store bought pasta) We have a very simple and wonderful marinara recipe:
    Saute garlic in olive oil. Add a can of crushed tomatoes, a teaspoon of basil, oregano-we use fresh in the summer. add some parsley and a titch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste-hot pepper if desired. Simmer for 20 minutes. To this I will add browned ground round and sausage-about a pound total, sauted onions and mushrooms, drain and add to sauce-I will double the sause recipe probaby. Top with parmigian-regiano.(sp!!!)

I am exited about the salad-probably organic greens with red pepper, a sweet onion, grape tomatoes (if our little store has this otherwise a head of lettuce) and a bit of stilton cheese. I have a mango that is ready and will probably make a garlic, mango, balsamic vinegar, olive oil vinegrette. We will eat while watching the bears win the football game. I think we will open a bottle of wine too.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Well I just had a small steak w/ mushrooms. Had sauteed Nappa cabbage & onions (bit of olive & butter, splash of chicken stock after they carmelized, fresh black pepper) to go w/ it. But the cabbage & onions were so good (one has to taste as one goes along right?), there was barely any left by the time the steak was ready. Yummy!

Strawberries for desert, followed by coffee.

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chicken and Dumplings here tonight. DD has had 2nds and I've yet to eat! I really need to try to add more veggies to my meals. When I think veggies, I think "boring", but I know how good they are for you. DD loves sweet corn and peas, so I keep those hand. The other week I had a taste for some asparagus, so I sauteed them in olive oil with lemon zest and garlic. It was delicious!

GH

• tisha_
    17 years ago

Well, I'm in a cooking mood. I've cooked every night for the past two weeks, which is NEVER done in our house. We eat out a lot.

I know, I know...BAD, but it's easier and we usually end up going to eat with friends, to it's way more fun too. :-P

Anyway, last night we had baked fish (Striper filets we caught ourselves, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some butter) and roasted potatoes, with corn and brown-n-serve rolls. It was yummy.

Tonight, I think I'm just going to make some hamburger steaks, mashed potatoes and green beans. I've got just a little over a lb. of hamburger and I can't think of what would sound good, so I'll just stick with the simple I think.

How about you?

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

Fresh fish sounds good. I have to work at Kelly House tonight. It's a breakfast menue for supper-french toast, bacon and fruit salad. Too bad I am on a low carb diet. I guess a little of the toast part and more of the bacon for me.

I am looking for Easter ideas. Any suggestions? DD wants fresh peach pie.

• tisha_
    17 years ago

Well, let's see... Easter...

Devilleg eggs, for sure.

Also, BBQ'n on the grill is always good this time of year.

Chicken breasts, burgers, polish sausage dogs, yum!

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did someone say Easter?

Hmmm... Well, I'm going to make a standing rib roast, mashed potatoes, greens and a pineapple upside down cake.

And for Good Friday, I'm frying fish and steaming some cabbage with white potatoes. I may get the urge to deep fry some hushpuppies. Yum!

GH

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

My Mom has invited us over but she no longer cooks. she wants chinese and really seems to be into this plan. 2 of my kids will be home and are looking for a home cooked meal. So now I am thinking about having a Sat night Easter meal. The girls say they may not make it home for dinner so I plan to give them home cooked leftovers to bring home. Now aren't I a good Mom.

dd plans to make a peach pie which my mother feels will go with her chinese dinner as long as there is icecream.

• tisha_
    17 years ago

Well, toots...eat some sweet-n-sour chicken (without the sweet-n-sour) for me. lol That's the only kind of "chinese" food I can stand to eat...chicken nuggets, basically.

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

Our menu is as always:
    pot stickers
    hot and sour soup
    princess chicken extra spicy
    hunan pork extra spicy
    pork fried rice
    and probably governor's chicken extra spicy
    if my Aunt comes, we will add ckicken with pea pods or maybe sweet and sour shrimp-something not spicy

and peach pie with ice cream