Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

First Vacation without kids

Mentha
18 years ago

I know I'm excited about being away from my kids, but I've never been away from them for more than a few hours, not even over night. The boys are staying with our neighbors for the week, so they can feed the rodent cats and our daughter with my mil, she's having a week with her cousins. I know it sounds like it could be fun, but I'm not quite sure how an adult woman should act without her children. Is that silly? Even when my husband is home I don't get adult conversation. Am I going to end up wiping his mouth at dinner? OH the joys of a homeschooling mom! Well anyways I'll be gone for the next week until Sunday, so wish me luck ladies. :)

Comments (9)

• jeff_harris
    18 years ago

I'm no lady but lots of luck.

• Cena
    18 years ago

Ahhh, been there, done that, although I've never homeschooled.

Honey, you're on your own. Literally. TAKE ADVANTAGE!!!!!!!

• Mentha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks,
    Yeah I'm on my own, that's what scares me. I'll be driving all the way up there and hubby is not a good backseat driver. My BIL and his wife is going up for the same conference.
    I wish I could have been going the other direction, it would have been fun to get down south to visit, but I'm afraid we're going north, somewhere above SF. I'm told it's about 5 hours above SF. We'll see when we get past the big red barn, that can take hours to get past. I'm hoping to go to Reagan's Nursery to visit Don Cravalho's epies. I went there once, but forgot my camera. DOH! Eddie at the Epiforums said he'd like a few pics when I go up there again.
    Now that's a vacation! I'd love to go to all the botanical gardens and nurseries between here and Oregon, Hubby would like to go to all the book stores along the way! How about a garden bookstore, that way we'd both be happy? LOL

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I hope you have a great time!
    I remember the first time I left my kids overnight. The older was 4, I think. I had almost never been away from them-- DH and I had gone out maybe twice a year, and then the kids had gone to Grandma's for maybe 3 hours, until we hurried back. My first time away from them, we went to HI for a week. I cried when I got on the plane...but I got over it just fine, and the kids were fine without me for a little while, too :)
    It's good to get to be an independent adult now and then. Being the part of yourself that isn't "mommy" will come back to you in no time. I hope you and your husband have a wonderful retreat-- that you get close and that you relax!

• ooojen
    18 years ago

(ugh, proofreading for content!) I mean, I hope that you get the chance to relax in the way you can't when you have to be responsible for taking care of your family....I didn't mean it to sound like I thought you were all tied in a knot over going! HAVE FUN!

• Mentha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hehe, my children aren't that small, my youngest is 7, eldest is 13. I know it sounds like such an existence being a SAHM, but I'd not trade it for the world.
    I remember when I left my dog at a friend's house to go to a livestock show, I was gone for a few days and when I got back, my dog didn't want to come home, I had to kidnap her. I'm afraid my children will react the same way when I get home. It'll be such a put down if my kids didn't miss me.
    Well I'm off to my week's vacation in Eureka, maybe with all the rain, I'll get lucky and find a nice nugget that has been washed into the road, and some of my troubles will be bought :~)

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

The first time we left our kids overnight was a weeks trip to boston to visit my brother. The kids were 7 and 3. The best part that I remember was walking to Ben and Jerry's for ice cream at 10:30 at night. The spontaniety part was the thing.

You have probably left by now-the time of your post is Sat @11:50-it's not that time here yet?

have fun

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

The only time that I have left DD overnight was when I was in the hospital having her little sister. Not that giving birth is exactly a vacation.... LOL

I hope you have a great trip!

• Mentha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I got home on Friday evening. I came home to a cat with an abscess the size of a tangerine, ugh. It finally popped, poor thing. I was told any meds given to him would probably do more harm than good, so we had to let it run it's course, yuck.