Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mingtea

Foods You Should Try

mingtea
18 years ago

i was inspired to start this post after reading what everyone was having for dinner. i really like to try new things and try to keep a varied diet...so, what are some foods that you think everyone should eat? my recent fave is Quinoa. it's a super grain! i use it instead of rice now and it's not so bad, price-wise.

i'm a food lover so i'm interested in healthy things people are eating, sinful things that taste dang good, easy foods and whatever else you guys recommend.

Here is my recipe for won-tons, perfect if you have a fry daddy and need to make appetizers:

1/2 lb ground meat (beef, turkey or whatever)

2 shredded carrots

3 stalks of green onions, chopped

black pepper to taste

soy sauce to taste

1 egg

won-ton wrappers (come in packs of 50)

mix all the stuff together, put a small wad of meat in the middle of the wrapper and pinch it shut so it looks like a little drawstring bag. make sure you don't over-stuff (or it won't cook all the way through) and fry in hot oil. remove & drain on paper towel when starting to turn golden. they get crispy again if you re-heat in the oven.

-ming

Comments (5)

• fishies
    18 years ago

Sounds YUMMY, Ming!

I'm a big fan of homemade soups. A long-time favourite is gingered pumpkin-apple:

1.5 tbsp soy margarine (I use regular salted butter)
    1 lg onion, finely chopped
    2 med celery stalks, finely diced
    2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, diced
    4 cups veggie stock (or water and a tiny bit of oregano if you don't have any)
    1 lbs can of pumpkin purée, or 1 med pumpkin, baked, skinned, and puréed
    1 tsp fresh grated ginger
    1 tsp curry powder or garam masala
    0.5 tsp cinnamon
    0.25 tsp nutmeg
    approx 2 cups milk/soy milk
    salt to taste
    option of toasted almonds or cashews as garnish

Melt butter in the soup pot, and sauté the onion and celery over med heat. Add everything but the milk, salt, and garnish. Bring to a boil, cover the pot and reduce to a simmer for about 40 minutes. Slowly add milk until it's the consistency you want, and then add salt to taste. You've got to be careful with the ginger, though - it may not taste too strong at first, but by the next day, you can REALLY taste it. It's best to make this the day before, so the flavours really come out.

• fishies
    18 years ago

This one is just as good as the soup... stuffed portabello mushrooms! I like to make this for dinner parties, because you can prepare everything in advance, stuff about them in 5 minutes, bake for 15 minutes, and presto! an elegant dinner in only 20 minutes! And only five of that is prep time!

I buy the portabello mushrooms in bulk, and take off the stems before putting them in the bag. The stems are the heaviest part, and I don't like to use them as stuffing (it feels sort of carnivorous - stuffing mushrooms with mushrooms). Plus, it's a huge cut in the price to just buy the caps :)

Anyway, wash the mushroom caps, and put a thick layer of goat milk cheese on the inside of the cap. Sprinkle green, red, and yellow peppers (finely diced), some tiny bits of broccoli florets, and some minced fresh garlic to taste. Finely diced zucchini would also be good, I think. Put them in the oven (I use a cookie sheet) at about 350 for about 15 minutes - but watch the broccoli: it can burn easily. I like to serve them on a bed of mixed wild rice. It just looks pretty :)

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I used to use a fair amount of Quinoa, too, but I haven't for ages. I've gotten into a bit of a cooking rut while I've been busy on the house. I'm trying to climb out of it-- I'm glad you mentioned quinoa! (I love wontons, too, but I hate cleaning up after frying food!)
    Macadamia nuts have been my kick lately. I've had about a dozen or so for breakfast the last couple mornings.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Lots more good stuff appeared while I was talking to the tapers/mudders (Mudders of Invention?)
    Now I'm in the mood to cook!

• mingtea
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ooh, those two recipes sound great! i'm going to give the mushroom one to geoff's mom and i LOVE pumpkin! too bad you can only get it fresh certain times of year.

i keep wanting to buy macadamia nuts but i get cheap at the last moment. are they very filling? i can eat a ton of nuts and seeds at one sitting...

-ming

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design