Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting a dog

Posted by mentha 9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 06 at 0:49

My mom was given a chihuahua about two weeks ago. This dog was abused and you can see where it's head was smushed. They were going to dump it off at the shelter, so my mom took it instead. He only weighs about 3# and is the tiniest little thing.
The only problem is he was crated all his life and will not come out of it. He stopped eating and has already been to the vet for dehydration. So I've inherited him because mom doesn't have enough time to give him to bring him out. My children and I have been taking him places and have fallen in love with him. So she called me tonight and says take him. I have to introduce him to my cats, they've never seen a dog before, except the pit bulls and rotties that my mama cat chases off sometimes. I'm afraid for the little guy, any tips on introducing tramatized dogs to dog hating cats?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting a dog

I read about your situation on another forum, and it broke my heart. But now I hear that his head is smushed?!!? That's insane, honey!!! What kind of person does that?

Shelly

o

I think it's great you're taking this poor little thing and I'm sure he'll be neither poor nor quite so little soon. It's probably a good thing that he feels safe in his crate, and I think probably your cats will learn to live with him in a reasonably short time, but it will be best to take it slowly. Our current cat was abused--we speculate she was loved by a girl or woman and abused by a man because she took to me right away but it took her quite a while to get used to my husband. Our dog I thought was just being a dog when she tended to chase any cats that came around, but recently I found a site that had dog breed cartoons for various breeds. Ginger is a chow mix, and I was interested to see the tshirt for chows was a take-off on that milk cartoon--the dog had a cat mustache and said 'got cats'. So we had a bit of a problem for quite awhile, and they still squable a bit now and then. Mostly it's because Winnie ambushes her though. If the dog can be in his cage and get used to the cats, and they get used to him, I think they'll learn to get along. Just takes love and patience!

o

Also, in my eperience, animals pick up on a lot of stuff. If there's anything wrong with the little dog, the cats might "know" that and go easy on him. Ya know?

And, he might not get any bigger. Our friends have a Chihuahua that is almost 2 years old and only weighs 2.5lbs.

o

Sounds like just the thing that you can fall in love with. My friend picked up a similiar dog that was abused. The dog looks like a beat up rat. Very timid. The dog is a one person dog-hides when others are around. She felt the little thing was so ugly, she just had to give it a home. She just loves that dog!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here