Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishies_gw

getting water stains off woodwork

fishies
18 years ago

Does anyone know of any tips? I've got a big ol' white water mark on my new-to-me teak dining room table (it's finished wood, not bare). I've heard rumours about cigarette ash and something else?

Shelly

Comments (9)

• canttype
    18 years ago

White toothpaste works wonders for water stains!

Is your teak table varnished? Shouldn't be....It should be an oiled wood finish. Many folks use teak as decking on boats and for outdoor furnature so it is deffinately water resistant when well oiled.

Diane

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, it's varnished - should be, shouldn't be, who knows? I'd never seen varnished teak before, but I kind of like it! It keeps it from picking up stains from my spaghetti sauce at any rate :) It's a 1960s teak table that I got off freecycle, and it's GORGEOUS... except for that darn water stain!

Thanks for the tip Diane - I'll give it a shot.

Shelly

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I tried the toothpaste trick, and it didn't work. Could it be because I have a gel toothpaste? Would the actual white paste stuff work better?

Shelly

• canttype
    18 years ago

Yes, must be white paste to rub out water stains. It works way better that a gel.

Go buy a small travel size tube and try again:-)
    Diane

• jon_d
    18 years ago

A zillion years ago I read a paperback on easy and quick refinishing. But, I didn't actually carry out many of the recommendations. But I remember two solutions for water stains. One was to use something called "refinisher" that disolves the finish and then lets it reset (???). The other was to sand off the white water stain with very fine emery cloth type sand paper. The theory on this was that the white mark is on the first very thin layers of the finish. I guess, by using a very fine emery cloth, you can maintain the gloss. But, this is what I read many years ago. I don't know it this would work. I am thinking though, that the toothpaste idea is using a similar action, since the toothpaste would be a very mild abrasive.

Jon

• tisha_
    18 years ago

I wonder if using a baking soda and water mixture would work the same as the toothpaste?

• arockerdude
    16 years ago

I saw a guy on TV use the White toothpaste and baking soda combined. You just keep rubbing in circles with your finger. I think it is just lightly sanding the clear coat. But it works. I have used this method on some 1970's furniture with the old type clear coat and it worked great. You might need to do it several times to get the White mark out. Dave

• gwb2008
    15 years ago

Use a clean cloth and a hot steam iron. Put cloth over stain and iron the cloth. Works great.

• contractorjim310_gmail_com
    13 years ago

try mayonnaise, spread a thin coat over blighted area for a half an hour or so. wipe clean. works best on fresh spotting.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm