Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my funny valentine

Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 18:00

I've been playing that song over and over again ALL DAY.

Am I a wingnut? Or do others do that, too - just put a song on repeat, and repeat, repeat, repeat... ?

It made painting the walls today a really strange experience:)

Shelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
aargh

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 20:58

Okay, I turned "My Funny Valentine" off 'repeat'. But now I'm stuck on "Cry Me a River."

At least I can be thankful it's not "Black Coffee." But still, isn't Julie London dead? Why won't she stop singing in my head? It's making it very difficult to get anything done. I keep grabbing hairbrushes/wooden spoons/magic markers and pretending I'm lounge singer.

Shelly

o
RE: my funny valentine

Mon, Feb 20, 06 at 19:55

The walls are finished! (and they look lovely... now the only things left to paint are the front stairs and entry hallway) But I'm not done yet with Mrs. Julie London. I'm even considering putting on a boa and some high-high heels...

This is what happens when you move straight from paper-writing to wall-painting.

o

LOL

What color are you painting?

o

Got any pictures of your work? Maybe you could have a friend come in and take a shot of you in your boa (and the rest of your clothes, too, of course...particularly if you're going to share the pictures with us) in front of your newly-painted walls.

I don't want to get started on, "My Funny Valentine" because I hardly know any of the words. I hate getting stuck repeating the same 3 or 4 lines over and over...
I think I could do better with, "Cry Me a River"...but it just so happens I've got "Unwritten" going on instead. I like the philosophy as well as the sound :)

o

To my Minnesotan and Nova Scotian Valentines (if I may be excused for taking the liberty....)

My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art

Is your figure less than Greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentine's day

Is your figure less than Greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don't you change one hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentine's day

Although I like the Frank Sinatra and Chet Baker vocal versions mucho mucho, the instrumental version by John Coltrane is quite nice too!

o

Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 18:07

No way! It's got to be Julie London every time. Thank you for the serenade, however. At last, JCSuperstar is out of my head.

The walls are two variations of those taupe colours that are oh-so-urban - I was finishing up the kitchen. I'd started it a few months ago, and never got around to finishing it (couldn't work up enough enthusiasm to strip that ugly-as-ugly border).

And I will certainly take pictures of the walls. In fact, I'm having a dinner party tomorrow evening, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of shots of me drunk on the sparkly with a knife in hand. Can't guarantee the boa, however.

o

Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 11:38

I had the dinner party, and it was ~lovely~.

Funny thing - I made a joke about probably ending up with a bunch of shots of me drunk in the kitchen with a knife. Yup. It's inevitable really. Good thing I only have cheap knives that are really, really dull :) So here I am in the kitchen, getting reading to prep asparagus, and pretending to be Julie London. Notice the lovely taupe colours on the walls, and the utter lack of ugly wallpaper border:
Image hosting by Photobucket

HOURS later, and I'm still pretending to be Julie London (sans knife this time):

And me and the daughter of a friend (again, sans knife). She only liked the salmon after we told her it was tuna :) She also did not enjoy dancing to Julie London, so we had to change the music.

o

I just finally got back online last night after a couple weeks with equipment problems (I have missed you all so much--even tho' I don't post often I read 'most every day and love keeping up with y'all!) and this post really tickled me. I've always thought 'My Funny Valentine' was a beautiful tune, and the words are cute if a bit insulting (--is your mouth a little weak? when you open it to speak are you wise?) Reminded me of someone who said the way for a man to attract women was to tell the smart ones they're pretty and the pretty ones they're smart. Anyway--to get to what made me come back here and post--last night I kept getting a big ol' car driving across the screen and I couldn't get rid of it without going to another forum or another area altogether. Truly annoying. And then I got stuck in my head 'Take me ridin' in your car, car, take me ridin' in your car' until I went to sleep, and the very minute I woke up it started in again. That's all the words I know--are there others? Not sure I want to know them, just if there are. I seem to know quite a bit of the tune, tho' I sure wish I didn't!

o

Great pictures, great color and Jeffrey-thanks for the words to my funny valentine. I never paid much attention to the content of the just listened to Frank sing it many times. It must be a show tune-I asked Jeevessonhttp://www.nodanw.com/shows_b/babes_in_arms.htmg-

o

Shelly--I've been talking to you on here for years but had never seen a photo. Why did you never mention that you're smokin' hot??!!

take care,
k

PS Yes, you are a wingnut :o)

o

Mon, Feb 27, 06 at 8:52

Kat! You're back! Yes, I'm smokin' alright - (hack hack cough) :) Where have you been, lady?

Greenelbows - glad to know I'm not the only one who gets strange songs stuck in her head :)

Toots, so you like the colour, huh? I'm pretty happy with it. It's so easy to coordinate with, unlike the lime greens and melon yellows I've got going throughout the rest of the place!

Shelly

o

Awesome pics! Great color on the walls!
Our living room is done in "Prairie Dust" right now and I just love it. I think it would take a good long time for me to get tired of it. :-)

Oh, and about the song... I WISH I had that stuck in my head right now. When the alarm went off this morning I got the pleasure of hearing a few words of "I'm In Love With a Stripper" and it's been stuck all day! SOMEONE HELP ME!!! ARGHHH!!!

o

Shelly--Insanely busy! And you??

o

Me? Busy, too. Conferences, papers, and grading - hoorah! What are you busy with now? You're done school, right? Are you working, or back in school?

Tisha - prairie dust? Sounds absolutely lovely! The new song in my head is "Africa" by Toto. But I really don't mind this one :)

o

http://deckers66.homestead.com/
I walked into a room and low and behold the singing nuns were on the TV. Now my mind plays this song day in and day out

o

Chorus
Dominique, nique nique
over the land he plods along
and sings a little song
Never asking for reward
He just talks about the Lord
He just talks about the Lord

o

Cigarette, rette, rette
s'en allait dans mes poumons...

hee hee - that's my french smoker's version

(I'm french, and a smoker, so you see, it's quite funny!)

hack hack cough,
Shelly

o

Seriously awesome photos Shelly! LOL!

o

Speaking of songs stuck in one's head---- If you've never gone through the "It's a Small World" attraction at Disney, I'd strongly suggest you NEVER do! Geez, it has been 2 days....
Nancy- I'm with you! What could be more romantic than, "you're ugly and you're stupid, but I love you that way"? I guess somebody likes to have the upper hand! ...but the lyrics do help for when I get it stuck in my mind. They're familiar when I read them, but I couldn't come up with them on my own. I guess that when I open my mouth to speak...

Neat pictures, Shelly!!

o

Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 10:07

I hear the drums echoing tonight
She hears only whispers of some quiet
Conversaaaaaaation.

She's coming in 12:30 flight
Moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards
Salvaaaaaaaation.

I stopped an old man along the way
Hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient
Meeeelodyyyyyyy

He turned to me as if to say
Hurry, boy, it's waiting there for YOUUUUUUUU!

Does that help, Jen? :)

o

Toto-ly :)

o
If ever there was a funny...

Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 10:36

hee hee! That is BRILLIANT!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here