Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishies_gw

Moonstruck

fishies
18 years ago

I love the movie Moonstruck. In fact, I love it so much that I turn to it for solace and guidance in times of need.

I'm serious! :)

The dialogue is amazing, and addresses anything that may be going on in your life at any given moment. It's like some kind of "magic" movie.

I once told a friend of mine about the magical powers of Moonstruck, and she was skeptical... UNTIL she happened to catch it on tv one night when she was feeling particularly blue about a failed romance. And wouldn't you know, Moonstruck gave her the guidance she needed - it was that scene where Nicolas Cage says something like, "Love ain't perfect, Loretta. The stars are perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. Not us. Not us."

I used a bit of Moonstruck wisdom myself recently - I was feeling overworked and overwrought, and was thinking of bailing out of a conference I'd committed to. But as I was outside having a smoke in the wintry Canadian cold, a line from Moonstruck came to me: "You got a hat? Use your hat." I was reminded that sometimes you just have to stop being so dramatic, and get down to pragmatic business. If there's lots of sun, you wear a hat. And if you have a conference presentation coming up, you get off your duff and write the darn thing instead of sitting around thinking about how overworked you are. It's all the power of Moonstruck.

So, do you guys have any magic movies, ones that seem to contain all the wisdom you'll ever need in your lifetime?

Shelly

Comments (7)

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay - since I love to respond to myself (honestly, I do it all the time - you know, those conversations you have with yourself in the mirror?); anyway, since I love to respond to myself, I'm going to.

Here goes.

Steel Magnolias is another great Magic Movie. Don't get me wrong, it's no Moonstruck. But it does have its good points. Like Olympia Dukakis. Although, let's be honest - Olympia Dukakis is more than a good point... she's a GREAT point. Like that scene where she says, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, come sit next to me."

Or, "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

Words to live by, friends.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Well Hi Fishies,

I don't know that I've got movie wisdom per se. I do know that I liked Moonstruck when I first saw it (aside from thinking Cher did a really nice job of it, in that I really felt she was Loretta & not Cher).

Surprisingly, I recently saw it again on TV (prob. while working on my plants & quilts, LOL) & I liked it just as much! Sweet film, holds up well over time, & yes, now that you point it out, it does have particular magic of its own.

Karen

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes. Magic... Moonstruck Magic!

You know what else is magic? The word "duff." I just reread the opening post of this thread, and I nearly laughed my duff off at my use of the word duff.

Duff is a funny, funny word.

• tisha_
    18 years ago

I remember seeing Moonstruck when I was little (I watched whatever my parents watched) but I don't think I've seen it in my adult life. I believe I will have to look through my TIVO list and see if it's available.

Really the only movie magic I get is when I watch something that really meant something to me at some point in my life. Even if the "meaningful" part was just the fact that I remember that I saw Oscar in the exact same theater that I saw Beavis and Butthead Do America in...and they've closed that whole cinema down and made it into a Bingo parlor...but I still have the memory of laughing with my dad during Oscar, and laughing with my best friend during B&B.

I love movies and I don't get to enjoy them as much as I used to. Keith's just not a movie going type.

I love the nostalgic feeling I get when I see Sixteen Candles or Arthur or The Outsiders or Breakfast Club or The World According to Garp.

I know it's not really the same thing you meant in your first post fishies, but it's just a different kind of comforting magic. Does that make sense? Watching one of those movies that makes me feel that way can make my whole day better. :-)

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, I like nostalgia movies, too :)

Pretty in Pink is a top one for me - I could never figure out how she managed not to fall for Duckie, though. I mean, he did lip sync Otis Redding in the record store. Helloooo? Anybody home, Molly Ringwald?

• ooojen
    17 years ago

I finally thought of what my "Wisdom for the Ages" movie is; it's "The Princess Bride". I don't know how many times I've used, "...so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me!"
    There are lots of wonderful, applicable quotes in there.

• fishies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jen, have you been thinking of this all this time? :)

I agree, The Princess Bride has so many gems, it's hard to narrow it down to just one. I can't even choose a favourite.