Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Topics

Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 10:03

Anyone visited this new forum? Of course, I love it :) It's all full of commentary and arguments on politics and religion - you know, meaty stuff. The stuff that grinds my day, and lets me procrastinate forever :)

Funny thing, though: I didn't hear about it on GW, but on The Garden Forums!

By the way, it's FINALLY SPRING here!!! The weather is just under freezing, with almost no wind. I'm so happy, I might cry. Or maybe I'll just walk to campus today :)

Shelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Topics

It's 65 degrees (18 C) here right now (9:15am) and the high for today is 78 (25 C).

We REALLY REALLY need some rain. All of the wildfires are really scary. This weather is so strange. It should be more like 50 degrees for the high this time of year. AND, it should be raining buckets.

o

I visit hot topics from time to time. Have you ever gone to the kitchen table-that is an active place. To much to read for me

o

You heard about us over there huh?

Hehehe. I spend way too much time in HT especially now that there is one person that seems fit to post some of the most offensive racial and political comments I've seen. The majority of the members there won't comment when this person says their ridiculous things. But I don't mind slinging mud with him because as my mom said once; "Even the big man upstairs gets off his cross every once in a while to fight with the devil."

I got an invite from someone to join The Garden Forums when it was only a handful of people, but I stayed back because there was someone who I saw there that left GW and I figured I didn't want to be in the same forum. Then one day I decided I was going to jump in and join it and was reading some of the new posts and I came across a thread that held some pretty offensive racial posts. I noticed they had not been deleted or edited and that the management had not said anything about them. So I figured that was going to be allowed there then I would stay away.

o

Geez, I only check out a few forums there, but I haven't seen any nasty stuff. Whatever area has gotten sludgy, I'm glad it's not one I frequent!
I really don't like the idea of infighting and tattling, but any post promoting racially-based hatred really should be reported so it can be removed. That's not trivial.

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 10:30

Hee hee - yes, I've found Hot Topics :) It's a lively little place, it is.

Like Jen, I haven't seen any racist comments at TGF - where did you see them?

Shelly

o

HT has the possibility of being a cool forum. But there are a couple of people that always have to make it about us Vs them and through the word "liberal" around like it's suppose to be a swear word.

I can't remember the thread over at that other forum; but there was some weird comments about why "minorities" don't participate in gardening forums, and there was one post in particular about how it's legal to discriminate against white males and give jobs to minorities who are not qualified...yadda yadda yadda. I've not seen the movie Crash but it sounded like the rant in the clip I saw of Crash where Matt Dillon's character goes off on the lady helping with his dad's health care.

I just shook my head at the thread and navigated away from the site, LOL. Sometimes life's too short.

o

Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 10:16

Oh, I remember that thread - don't remember that post, though! ouch!

o

**sigh** As you say, life's too short--but then, I would imagine there are people you'd like to avoid everywhere you go. I find it really hard to understand why people need to bring a lot of this garbage into a forum abou gardening, of all things. But it happens. I decided a long time ago that people I disagreed with were not going to stop me from doing things I enjoy doing--but sometimes it's difficult to avoid. With practise it becomes easier to ignore--not that I don't speak up sometimes when I think the situation warrants, but probably not as often as I should.

o

Greene,

You have a very good point.

Fishies,

I see you've met the HT troll, and asked him to be nice. :0)
Good luck with that. He can't engage anyone in conversation without resorting to name calling, attacking and making sweeping generalizations about people and accussing you of hating America if you don't agree with him.

The other one there 'buzzing' around there is almost as bad as he is. If not worse for some of the things he's said.

o

I feel a little intimidated over there-and I really don't know why because I am just as able minded as the next person...well gosh darn it I might be more able minded then the next person. So why do I find myself deleting my post instead of clicking submit. I guess I feel more comfortable lurking around there. Or maybe I feel trying to keep my mouth shut would be a better choice for me.

o

Toots,

You know I feel the same way. Yesterday and today I composed so many posts that I ended up typing and not submitting. I saw you post earlier and smiled and said to myself; "I hope she wipes the floor with a few of the people here-but in the totally funny way she has with words."

Go ahead and post whatever your opinion is on any subject it's just as valid any anyone else's. Don't feel intimidated.

o

Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 9:06

Toots and MBT - I feel the same way, too! Some of the comments on the feminism thread have led me to write some pretty nasty responses that never make it to air. Futile attacks don't enlighten a discussion. Other posts, like Mentha's and Suzanne's (although not exclusively), have really made me reconsider my positions.

I enjoy a good debate. It stretches you out a bit, you know? The one thing that I don't like, and which these debate forums tend to promote, is a desire to 'win' an argument rather than to exchange ideas. And I get as caught up in that as the next person. But I still like it :) One big problem, however, is that I haven't gotten as much work done since I discovered that forum, so I think I'm going to have to do more reading and less responding when I do visit it :)

Shelly

o

Aww, thank you Shelly, now, I feel empowered! lol I'ts nice to think that I may have made someone think by my posts.
I'm pretty opinionated, so it's easy for me to get involved and make a fool of myself.
I've only been visiting there for a week and already I've offended on of our houseplant forum visitors, since he has quick whit and tends to joke a lot, it's hard to tell when he's agreeing or (what feels like) mocking. According to him I have a log size chip on my shoulder, oops. I was raised to think that each race, religion, and gender have their snakes and those that deserved my respect, and to treat others by their behavior. If they act like a fool, then that must be the way they wanted to be treated.

MBT, I think the post you read, was intended to see how we could encourage other races to participate, since the majority of us are white. I guess we didn't do that so well if we discouraged you.

o

Dear Mentha,

You didn't offend me - I was rather surprised at your tone, however.

You can always ask, you know - I've no problem answering.

It was a stump, btw, not a log.

While I appreciate the honorific 'Mr.', Jeff is just fine.

And congratulations and welcome to the Club Of Humans Having Kittens Birthed on Their Laps. It was quite the experience for me - Poseidon (the kitten born on my lap) and I had quite the bond - I was the only one he would let play with his feet.

I hope Mother and Kittens are doing well.

o

Hoo-boy! I spent some time over the past week lurking at the Hot Topics forum, and all I can say is that you couldn't pay me to post there.

You know, I'm not one of those old-time Garden Webbers who spend a lot of time mourning the loss of Spike as the owner of this place. While I had a certain grudging fondness for him, I also know he could be an autocratic, intransigent son of a female canine. However in my estimation the best thing he ever did was to forbid the discussion of inflammatory topics in his forums. Maybe it speaks to a character flaw on my part, but I know I could never again feel positively about posters who hold social views I find abhorent, and I don't think I could ever have a nice pleasant exchange of info about gardening with them again.

Of course, people's characters and personalities come through quite clearly even when they are discussing the tamest of topics (houseplants f'rinstance.) So reading the Hot Topics forum didn't much change my opinions of the people I was already familiar with from this, and other forums. People I thought of positively, I still think of positively. It's the people I was iffy about that I can no longer give the benefit of the doubt, and I hate that.

o

Thank you Jeff,
Although I still don't like the idea of calling anyone by their given name, I'd call my husband Mr. if he'd let me, hehe.
My chip is more log size than a stump, and I'd be the first to admit it. Mama had 5 kittens, She only slimed me, we got a box for her before she had any kittens. She's a really good mama she attacked my chihuahua thrice since having her kittens. She thinks any dog in our yard is fare game. The pitbull down the street has been bloodied many times. You'd think it'd lean not to mess with our mama kitty, but it is a really stupid dog.

o

Mentha,

It's ok. :0) I've tried other places and I just can't feel about them like I do about GW. There is so much here and so many different people that it's a good place to just feel like one of many and not worry about standing out when I'm there. I feel like I stick out a lot in my real life and on the net I like the feeling of being anon and not feeling like I have to be the representative or token anything.

Karen,

OMG are you talking about me? LOL :0) I've actually tried to steer clear of some of the 'hotter' topics over there because some of the comments have left me saying "Oh no you di'int just type that" about many. From being around GW I always had the idea of it being populated by a bunch of nice ladies who grow roses and wear hats in the garden and make sun brewed iced tea. The Hot Topics forum has really opened my eyes at just how "fiesty" gardeners really are.

But I know what you mean. I've traded seeds and plants with a few people since I joined here in August. There was one person in particular with whom I had been in communication with and traded stuff. One day I saw this poster (who I thought of as a GW friend) say some pretty vicious comments over there about people "like me". To say I was shocked is not an exaggeration...I felt like I had been slapped across the face. I've decided that if I see someone I trade with or exchange e-mails with post over there I will skip the post and not read it, because I don't want to know what some people really think. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 9:41

You guys had kittens born on your LAPS?!??! Ewwwwww! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!

What was it like?

MBT - I've noticed that it's very easy for us to lump others into a "people like you" category... until we meet an actual flesh and blood "person like you." It's difficult to reduce someone to a stereotype when you're face-to-face with their complexity.

So, on the one hand, we're likely to never actually meet the people on this forum with whom we communicate almost daily, and so in the end, who cares what they think of us?

On the other hand (and this is probably the hand I use more often), I think that we should try to make every interaction as positive an experience as possible (not that a positive experience is necessarily pleasant, mind you). People deserve the benefit of the doubt. So I always try to remember that, if they met me, they may change their minds. Or hell, maybe *I* would!!! Perhaps Mentha wouldn't think that I was irrevocably hell-bound :) Perhaps Jeffrey wouldn't think that I was a nutty buddy with a different theme song for every emotion that crosses my brain :) Perhaps Beaglebuddy would quit with the clichs long enough to have a conversation (although, between you and me and the couple of hundred other people reading this, I think that there's more to our beagled friend than conservative stereotypes...) The only thing I'm hyper-critical about is when people don't reflect on their own 'evils' or 'wrong-doings' before condemning the actions of others. I hate that crap. It's so easy to demonize "those other people."

Oh here I go again... tangentizing like a crazy woman. What's the theme song for tangents?

S.

o

Dear Shelly,

Might I suggest 'Radar Love' by Golden Earring?

It was quite the experience. It's likely that that will be the only birthing I attend to in my life, and it was thrilling. Scylla (the mother) was having kittens her first and only time, and her first was on me - I was thrilled.

Nutty Buddies are one of my most favourite premade ice-cream products, Shelly.

I agree with your comments above; most folks here I'd like to meet, but there are some on the HT Forum (the example you cite is perfect) that I wouldn't care to. Still, it's confronting the beast within before dealing with the beast without that separates folks from people, or something like that.

o

"I've noticed that it's very easy for us to lump others into a "people like you" category... until we meet an actual flesh and blood "person like you." It's difficult to reduce someone to a stereotype when you're face-to-face with their complexity."

Shelly, this is a lovely thought. I only wish it were true. If it were, there would be very little racism left in this world, but alas, that is not the case. People may like or admire a person of one ethnicity or another, but that doesn't always translate to their abandoning their stereotypes of the group to which that person belongs.

This is not an abstract idea for me. It comes from life experience. I'm black, above average in intelligence, and in real life, (if not on messageboards) very demure and "lady-like" (for lack of a better term.) People with certain racial prejudices tend to treat me like the exception to their internalized rule, and go forth with their stereotypes intact.

o
RE: Hot Topics 2

MBT, I was talking about you only in the sense that you are one of those people whose personality comes through quite well, no matter what the topic. Still want to get together one of these days and bring some new life to the Chicago area C&S club? :-)

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 12:30

Good point, Karen.

"I once dated a black guy. He was actually quite articulate/had a job/listened to Simon and Garfunkle/etc."

The standard is indeed still Wonder Bread.

o

Karen,

Of course we're still on for invading the C&S society one day. :0)

o

All I can say about that is that the CC&SS had better prepare itself - potent forces of nature are brewing.

o

Ha! I never said you were hell-bound. if Ann Rice can change her thoughts about the bible, anyone can :) I see a wonderful woman in you. One of these days your eyes will be opened and WOW! The world had better watch out, because here comes Shelly, and she's on fire! There's more to your theology study than you'd like to think, and one of these days you'll be shook like never before, and you'll be a fire for the LORD to be reconed with. I can't wait until that happens. :) I remember when my world was shook, it was like night and day, my mil said I glowed. (litterally glowed)

o

I think the Chicago C&S society was at the Garden Show. Karen and MBT-could I join your invasion?

o

So tell us, Shelly, are you feeling particularly evangelical now?

o

As to the Hot Topics forum--- I found it somewhat entertaining for a while, but I'm really disgusted right now. Some of the absolute bull-headedness makes me want to "shake the dust off my feet".
For someone to hold the idea that a fetus is really just a mass of non-human cells BUT abortion should be illegal because any woman who does that naughty sex thing should be forced to carry a baby for 9 mos as punishment....SHEESH! (As of when I last checked, no one seemed to have any ideas as to what the "punishment" should be for the male involved.)
Then, icing on the cake, someone saying liberals shouldn't be fussing about how many American soldiers are dying in Iraq, because the military was picking them off like flies during peace-time, too. I'm really disgusted.
Although most of the discussions stay pretty civil considering the topics, a lot of these people aren't there to learn from each other. How could anyone reason with somebody who obstinately holds opinions so different from mine???
Yes, that's tongue in cheek...kind of...
I think I'll try to treat Hot Topics like an accident site-- If I can't help, I'm better off not looking.

o

Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 10:25

Your tongue may be lingering somewhere near your cheek (if not firmly planted there), Jen, but it makes sense to me. *Of course* my opinion is correct. After all, if I didn't think I was right, I would think something else, wouldn't I?

Jeff - The time for me to testify has not yet come upon us. I do find the assumption that I haven't already been shook kind of strange, though, since I feel pretty shaky most of the time already.

o

OooJen and Shelly,

Y'all are too right, as they say in Australia and in the South.

I go there to learn from other broad-minded people, be they holding opinions like mine or different. But there are some folks there that are so close-minded, you'd think that they were stuck in a early-1950's white/bread/America time-warp.

Interesting the topic that OooJen cites in her second paragraph - it's dominated by males (kind of makes you wonder if they want to dominate and dictate others' "females> lives because they (the males) have so little control/dominance in their own lives) but that's a subject likely for HT and not here.

At any rate......it's a healthy attitude you disply in your last sentence, OooJen - wish I could be like you.

Shelly,

I was wondering if your log-in name would be now changed to Nelly or something rhyming with Shelly. You know.. like Saul on the road to Tarsus....

but in the meantime....

if you want to be shook, let's go out to the Mojave Desert (while it's still cool) and check out the native flora and fauna. While we're there we probably will get a reminder that the San Andreas Fault is still geologically active.

Shake, rattle and roll, that's what I say.

See the girl with the cactus on
She do the succulent plant thing all day long
Hey hey

o

Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 11:22

Or... I could go with something with a bit more contemporary cultural resonance, like say, "Smelly"? Of course, I'd be Smelly on the road to Tartarus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tarts-R-Us

o

Sorry Jeffrey,
If she wants earthquakes, she has to go to Parkfield with me. I have first dibs on her, btw. I bet she'd freak when she saw a horney toad lizzard.

Ooojen,
Mentha's three step prevention for unwanted pregnancy:
1. bring back the chastity belt
2. bring back the shotgun wedding
3. bring back boys and girls segregated schools.

Now wouldn't that help with most of the problem? You have to admit it would work, but cringe to think what all the chafing would be with the CB. This btw would also help out with the growing welfare problem and a few other problems also. (a little tounge in cheek myself)

o
RE: kittens

Oh and we have a total of nine kittens now, that make a grand total of elleven cats. Our other female cat, Purrum, Mama's granddaughter, had four kittens two days ago, all black and white. She had them on my daughters bed while we were gone, ewww that was a mess to clean up. One of mama's kittens eye is open, at day five.

Shelly's a tart? who'd of thought ;)

o

Sure, Tootwisc:

As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.

(I'm extremely amused by this little side discussion in this otherwise bizarre thread. I'm as easily am as easily amused as I am annoyed.)

Mentha, I went to an all-girls high school. I hate to disappoint you, but the virginity quotient was not especially high.

o

karen,
If they had chastity belts on, I bet the virginity quotient would be a lot higher. You see, you have to do all three steps for it to be effective, lol

o

...but Shelly's a SweetTart, I'm sure :) ('n them horny toads better be keepin' themselves in check!)
Not sure a shotgun wedding would take care of an unwated pregnancy -- unwed maybe, but not unwanted.
Completely segregating genders might eliminate pregnancy, but might allow for other activities I'm betting you wouldn't approve of.
Chastity belt-- that'd do it. Now that you mention it, I think every boy should have to wear one! (at least every straight boy within 100 miles of my daughters)

Congratulations on the kittens! We have a somewhat new (though several weeks older than yours) kitten, too. The poor little half-starved and half-frozen bugger was hiding out in the exterior "crawl space" under a bay window. I fed her for a couple days and then DD caught her and brought her in. Why do all the volunteer pets have to be (expensive-to-neuter) females?

o

SweetTart, HA! that's funny, hehe

You don't think if a guy knew he'd have to wed the girl after playing with her, he'd think differently? I think that would be reason enough for a guy to have second thoughts. We could also be a little more insistive of the statuatory rape issue also.

For our daughter, my husband has it all planned, he says he and her brothers will sit on the couch cleaning shotguns when her date comes to pick her up. He'll have to come in and meet daddy, in order take her out. lol

Really, we're going with courtship. She won't be able to go out on dates alone, but group settings will be ok.

o

Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 13:15

You know, shotgun weddings might also help a gal in the quest for that elusive prey: The Husband. Just seduce him into a little naughty-naughty, conveniently "forget" to protect yourself, and presto-bingo! two to nine months later you've got yourself A Man.

Now I'm imagining a National Geographic special on The Husband :)

o
RE: National Geographic special feature

Hey Shelly, it's worked for thousands of years, let's not break a good thing here. It'd take half the fun away. The other half would be the naughty-naughty, of course.
No really I'm not advocating anything of the sort, I'm too prudish to do such a thing. More often than not the prey runs away, and she has to try again anyway.

o

Tootswisc,

Now I wish I had gone to the show. It only dawned on me that they would be there after the show was over. Oh well. But I also think the more the merrier.

Oojen,

There's a lot be disgusted by over there. The one that got my feathers all ruffled was the comment(s) by beaglebudy that Liberals were opposed to wire tapping because we had a lot to hide. Like an affinity to child p@rn. Oh yes he went there, not just once but at least twice.

o

MBT,
I never thought wire tapping was such a big issue. Clinton did it. The next president will probably do it too. Why does it make it different for the 'Golden Child of the Liberal Movement?' We don't hear anything about Clinton's doing it, just that Bush did.

o

Folks, despite the title of the thread, this is the houseplant forum. Talking about the HT forum is one thing. Continuing the arguments here is another. It is probably best to keep the actual discussion of the issues raised on the Hot Topics forum over on the Hot Topics forum, isn't it?

This is how big messes get started and how unpleasant stuff from one forum spills over onto another.

UGH, UGH, UGH!!!!!!!

o

You're right, Karen. I guess I unintentionally opened the door for that.

o
One more time...for the good times

I have failed to avert my gaze (oh the shame!)
I just had to go back and peek at whether anyone answered my question. (Well, it's rude to ask and then not check back, right?) I did leave the rest of the posts completely alone, though :)

o

hehehe, kind of hooked eh? If you really want to know the answer to your question about abortion, I'd be happy to help you with verses. I'd better not post them over there or MBT will skin me for being a religious zealot. Shame on him and I bet his mama taught him about the big guy on the cross. :)

Sorry Karen, it's safer over here because most of those threads make you do a bit of research before replying and if you're opinion is different than someone else they leave you with bloody trails. Here were 'among friends' so it's a little more layed back and a lot less bloody. I'll try to do better.

o

Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 21:07

You got it, Karen. My bad :)

Personally, I'd ~love~ to hear more about those disgusting kitty births... Dig out the gory details, you two. Was it ~very~ slimy? :)

o

Yes it was slimy, ewww. At first I didn't know what was happening until she slimed me and I went ewww. My son had to do a really quick run to the greenhouse to get a plastic box for her, I had to change my clothes. Kitty, like here mama before her, just pops them out like there's no tomorrow. So it wasn't too long before we had 5 kittens, three look just like her, solid blue, the other two were solid black. I wish she'd have had some interesting kittens, she only has blue and black kittens, she did once have a really pretty chocolate and white one.
Purrum however took a while, especially for her last one. I guess because this was her first litter. She had four black and white ones, one looks just like Purrum's brother did, I hope they have odd colored eyes like their mama.
I really need to find a low cost spay clinic, because I'm getting out of the kitten business. I can't do a dozen cats at once anymore, my house is beginning to smell, and now with the chihuahua, he get's beat up by both of them, he's hid in the laundry room for a week. Instead of venturing to the front door, he pees in the laundry, yuck.

o

lol,

You can post them there are some serious things you have to do to be considered a zealot. Actually when you posted that it got me wondering about any such quotes. Go ahead and post I'd be interested in reading them in HT.

o

MBT,
With the riot of posts attacking scripture the last time I did, I'd rather not. They were given their chance. If I remember right you were one of the first to attack. If you really want to know those verses I can ask Ooojen to forward what I wrote to her back to me and I'd be happy to email it to you, but if you just want to joke over it, then i'll save my effort for someone who really wants to know what the bible says. Those stiff necked, bull headed people don't want to read it, even the conservatives and professed Chirstians were snickering. Shelly had a good point about taking what's dear and letting it be attacked, but Jesus himself was attacked for me, His word isn't any different, he is the Word of G*D. So snicker all you want but, remember you're snickering at G*d's word.
Those people don't care what the bible says about being known by G*D before even conception, Jerimiah 1:5 or that we were fearfully and wonderfully made PSM 139:13-16, or that we were formed by God in the womb ISA 44:2, they want to find an excuse to hang the Christian for hate, but the hate I see is towards Christians, not from. The best way to do that is to cast doubt about what the bible says, and say because the Christian wants to tell me that I could do better if I tried, or what I'm doing is morally wrong, the Christian hates me. That could be furthest from the truth. If I knew the bridge was out and let you drive on through, then that would be hate, for me to block your path and tell you to turn around, is at least showing compassion. Sure there are some 'Christians' who hate, but are they really Christian if they do? The blood of those children cry out for vengence, and we as a nation will have to pay the price for that. Who's speaking up for them?
They can call me whatever because of my faith but it's mine, and I have to stand by it or be a hypocrit and a liar. The Lord rebuke satan for attacking it. I've seen spiritual things that would make you're skin white with fright, what can someone on the other end of a computer do to me, unless my Maker, whom has known me from the foundation of the world, lets them? So if you really want to know what the bible says about abortion, I'd be happy to forward what I sent Ooojen to you, or you could google 'bible on abortion' and there would be millions of hits swaying either way, but remember just because someone says it's ok doesn't mean it is.

o

Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 8:58

Guys, lets take this back to Hot Topics. We've been asked to cut it out here, and I think that's a reasonable request.

Shelly

o

I was having a prophetic moment. So I'm not going to appologize. Those words are for whomever will see and hear.

o

Dear Mentha,

With all due respect, this is not the place for you to prostelytize.

o
RE: Hot Topics-Fresh Kittens

Dear Shelly,

And to answer your question, yes, it was slimy, but it was a wiggling, gray-and-white colored, mewling bit of slimy life on one's lap. What else could one do but to help it (and Mom Cat) out, thereby becoming a midwife (?).

Yes, I was a male midwife.

A most rewarding experience, as life with the kitten/cat turned out to be.

I was fortunate that my first experience with bringing young into the world was with a cat, and not, say, a wildebeast.

o

It's proselytize. If my intent was to proselytize I'd of quoted every verse and reference I could find. My post would have been a book, not a few paragraphs. I'd of waxed poetic, and tried with subtle cajoling, I'm afraid my motives are a little different than proselytizing.
Have you ever had a prophecy said over you? Do you believe in prophecy? Are you afraid of prophetic people?

o

Dear Mentha,

Thank you for the correction.

I'm leery of anyone who draws attention to themselves by use of religion, either their own or others.

Most of the people that I've read of, met, listened to, etc. that fancied themselves prophets are actually loonies, nutbars, self-deluded fools and people who think that while God gave everyone free will, the actual use/exercise of free should be limited to just a few.

Your repeated references to your beliefs and your experiences is indeed proselytism. There's a place for that, and it isn't here.

o

I've seen those 'prophets' also, they make me sick sometimes. Most of them are telling you how (sing song voice) wonderful your life is going to be if you send me money. Because G*d wants everyone to be rich and prosperous, and all you have to do is kneel on a prayer sheet and send it back with your donation and we guarantee you a happy life. sheesh! Do you ever wonder why not one of them have a negative or hard to take word to give someone? I prefer the prophets of old where they stand on the wall and yell, "Repent!" They were never afraid of offending anyone either.

Ok Shelly, now I'm done.

o
RE: Hot Topics-Fresh Kittens, Part Deux

Dear Shelly,

As I've alluded to, when one has a kitten born on oneself one has a bond with that kitten that's ever so special.

It's like the Vulcan Mind Meld or the 'imprinting' that Anne McCaffrey writes of occurring between dragons and humans in her Pern series of books. If you can think if kittens as young dragons (without wings, thank the gods), it's not something that would stretch one's belief system too far.

o

Vulcan Mind Meld- lol
Wyvern -- the most cat-like of dragons
Siamese -- arguably, the most dragon-like of cats (but let's not argue the point here ;)

o

Mentha,

I don't think I "attacked" if we're both talking about the same post I think I said something along the lines of; "Oh dear...now someone else will post quotes from the bible that contradict what was posted." I wasn't attacking I was predicting the future :0) It happens all the time when someone pulls out quotes someone will pull out other quotes that contradict what was said. It even happens among people who are like minded. When ever my parents and their church friends hang out and start talking religion, it happens there too. And it goes around and around and both sides think they won because they're quoting from the Bible.

o

Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 18:19

Dragons and kitties and vulcans HOORAH! It sounds absolutely lovely! Even with the slime. And speaking of kitty-fuzzes, I have a Mistress Morgan here who's gone nutty with spring-madness. She's loving the fabulous weather we've been getting for the past few days (it's gone above freezing! Twice!!), which of course, drives me nutty, because of the incessant "I want in" or "I want out" meowing.

Kitties... it's a good thing they're cute.

o

MBT,
Thank you for clarifying that for me, I had thought you a little more civil than what I read into that 'one liner.'

Shelly,
Don't you wish you could get a revolving door for kitties? I made the mistake the other night of cracking a window for the cat to go through when we left, brrrrreeee. I had to open the oven and crank it up to broil tho get it to where I couldn't see my breath and have snot icecicles.

BTW, I hope Mistress Morgan is spayed, because kitty spring meows lead to kittens. Not that not spaying her is wrong, just more time consuming, and a lot more enjoyable.

o

• Posted by cena S CA 10A (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 4:53

I'd like to take the time here, to post just how 'offensive' we are 'over there'. Must have a whole new flavor after HT type of stuff. Please, please read here and see how bad we are at The Garden Forums and how we treat 'those people'.

Thank you MBT for sticking a nail in it. The whole thread
http://thegardenforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=400&highlight=minorities

Here is a link that might be useful: Diversity ~in the garden~

o

So that was it? I saw one brief, out of place, but not exactly venomous reference to "affirmative action", but that was as tense as it got.

o

I am in the common group: the 30 to 40 year old Caucasian male... a group I feel is the most legally discriminated. Ill refrain from stepping to the podium for a lengthy dissertation of the constant passing over of qualified individuals to hire, reward, fund, grant, sponsor, etc. other preferred minorities. I believe in integration and equality. It always seems to me that the people that feel that they were wronged or treated unfairly in history, dont want equality they expect excessive superiority.

That is the post/thread I was talking about. Not only do I find it offensive but I find it demeaning. Especially because I worked my ass off in school and went into debt to be able to have an education to make me qualified to work. I didn't expect any "excessive superiority" or for anything to be handed to me. I don't know why I woke up at 6 am to ride a bus to school and then after school go to work and deal with all the problems there and then another train home late at night, when I could have just asked for everything to be handed to me. LOL. How stupid of me, if only I had known I could feel entitled and get what I wanted I wouldn't have dealt with the shoplifters, the creepy guys who exposed themselves to the girls I worked with and to our customers looking for window blinds and the uptight rich housewives. I certainly would have gotten more sleep-since I wouldn't have had to stay up late into the night doing homework and papers and all that.

I don't understand what that post had to do with the thread or what it had to do with gardening or a gardening forum. Had this been put in my forum, which has nothing to do with politics, I as one of the admins would have asked him to edit it out. If he had not I would have done it myself because as an admin of my forum it is my responsibility to assure that politics and people's personal views don't mess up the forum and everyone be made to feel welcomed.

The other issue with it is why he chose to put '' around the word minorities and why he chose to make it a bold brown color, and why most of the people who used the word minorities also made it a bold brown text? Regarding the use of ' ' I think Spewey said it best in Hot Topics when he said;

And why do you insist on inserting quotes, rather than referring to them as gays and lesbians? To write (quote) gays and lesbians(unquote) comes across as bigoted and demeaning, implying "so-called" gays and lesbians. Would you likewise write "heterosexual" or "straight" or "African-American"?

And then if you scroll further down that thread there is this post.

Racially speaking, your question piqued my curiosity enough for me to do a little non-scientific research. I lurked several ethnically dominated sites including Bloods and Crips (nothing but weed), the Rising Sun (bonsai, bonsai, bonsai), India on Five Dollars a Day (soybeans or any beef substitute), Iraqi Bomb Crater Landscaping (MRE's), and others. Not surprisingly, diversity among the memberships hardly existed with the exception of those blogging Penitentiary Agriculture Today, although being captivated by all aspects of gardening...their banner motto, takes on a whole new meaning, I'm afraid.

Very interesting. So someone lurks culturally specific boards and is surprised at not finding diversity? But on top of that lurked on Bloods and Crips (a gang forum) for some kind of insight into the gardening habits of minorities?

o

Sun, Apr 9, 06 at 1:12

Well, MB, I have to say that sticking around long enough to learn about people and figure out their 'slant' helps alot. ChuckieB2 is a real 'charactor' just like yourself. Hard to swallow in some diets but over all, palatable. Except to those allergic.

And if you stick around long enough to read, assimilate, hear the 'voice', then you get the flavor.

We're So Bad, and unpalatable,
In THREE MONTHS time, we've left GW and done this...
Our users have posted a total of 15666 articles
We have 679 registered users
Most users ever online was 374 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:35 pm

May you and iVillage be blessed and enjoy each other as much as you deserve.

Nigella is the one that sent me to TheGardenForums.org orginally, I can see how you might not feel at home there. Whole different Gardener Philosophy and all. You know, plants, not politics and 'hot topics!'. Not chew and gnaw, best handhold means best combatant... Nope, I wish you well with THAT garden.

Oh, and I LIKE the ability to change fonts, colors, sizes...

Take care, Stay over here where you are comfortable and such.

o

I swore I wasn't coming back to this thread. Oh, well.

MBT was not the only person annoyed by that thread on TGF. I was too. There is little more insulting than being regarded as a problem that needs to be solved. It doesn't matter that most people posted with good intentions; the very premise of the thread was off.

I admit I haven't read the whole thing. I read one too many posts wondering whether persons of color didn't join garden forums because they are too poor to own computers, before I closed the thread in digust. Get real! I will use African-Americans as my focus, because, belonging to that group, it is the one I am most familiar with. While we are indeed disproportionally represented among the poor, there is still a huge black middle class in this country, not to mention a sizable population of people who are actually wealthy.

Let's face it. While ornamental gardening can be done both frugally and extravagantly, even at its middle range, which is where most people do it, it is not a cheap hobby. Plants are expensive, garden tools are expensive. Fertilizers and pest controls are expensive. Most people who have enough disposable income to garden (let alone afford to own or even rent a property that is suitable to garden on) can afford a computer and internet access.

Here is what I think is the answer. Persons who are passionate about gardening are rare. Think about it. How many people do you know who are really into it, as opposed to maybe plopping a few bulbs in the ground come fall? Then divide that number among the number of folks who are even more passionate about it, enough to spend time discussing it on an internet forum. Then divide that number among people who are minorities (the very word means that there are less of us.)

The numbers are about right. Don't worry about what you need to do to encourage minorities to participate. If a person, of any color, is truly interested, he/she will show up.

o

Cena,

I think I spent enough time over there before, during and after I read that thread. I really don't feel like I should have to "assimilate" in a garden forum, since it's suppose to be about gardening.

I'm also not sure how the philosophy is all that different. I don't mind Hot Topics- I actually like them because they keep your mind sharp. I guess what I mind is a place that supposedly doesn't have them but if you look a little below the surface they are there. I'm not sure what Nigella has anything to do with the price of beans today but, ok.

Yes, being able to change Fonts is pretty cool isn't it?

Take care, Stay over here where you are comfortable and such.

You take care too Cena. Thanks for stopping by.

o

How do you do that?. Don't bother to explain because I probably couldn't figure it out anyway.

My first response was well aren't you a smarty britches...then it was...pretty clever.

o

Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 22:27

"Smarty britches"? LOL

Well, MBT, are you a smarty britches?

o

tootswisc,

Can you do italics and bold? It's basically the same way you just put (FONT SIZE=n), where n is a number between 1 and 7. To change the color it's the same as italics, bold and font size but you put (FONT COLOR=n), and n can be red blue or green.

See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: beginners guide

o

Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 5:50

Oh, Karen, I would never want you to feel that. Me saying it negates nothing of your feelings, and I'm sorry that you 'felt' that. And I'm GLAD you spoke up. Of course, I would never have the idea anyone were trying to FIX anyone else. I thought it was a cool question, inward looking as to why we had no more folks outside of our ken doing such things. I rebel against the idea that a pocket of land and a packet of seeds is that far beyond common experience. But, you are a wise woman and I shall listen to your experience.

It IS a good place. We have done so much and we NEVER have these types of attacking disagreements. Perhaps because we are new, I don't know the beginnings of places but I feel there are SO many places out there to have them, why drag the bad feelings and disagreements (of other places) of politics, politicians, and their behavior into a new mix. And why just stand there and let a person who decided NOT to assimilate, or grow, or fit in, dictate to another group? Perhaps I am discounting the ability of adults to see for themselves? I am hoping everyone can see not another conversation of this scope has occured since and that orginal poster is no longer posting. Many of the people who answered are still there, but as I am still trying to understand the issue, I'm hoping that folks will come and redirect that thinking. There are many subjects and many opportunities.

I will not be blessed out of a place I helped to found. Thank you MRB, for your blessing. You have been allowed a large acreage to play about. I tried to bait you, and you bit back. That does NOT excuse my behavior, or yours. We shall see who quits first?

Many people, who would have challenged you sooner, have left. The rules, they have changed. The things that allow you to say the things you do, well, I need to learn these rules, so that I to, may compete.

I am from a different day, where no matter what you posted, it should be about the garden, the gardener, the thought that counted, the spirit of gardening.
Not the current politics, not the popular voice, not the biting, bickering, loudest shouter.

I know, the quiet, calm voice of the constant care here will win out. I refuse to play the political Free-For-All game bordered by Hot Topics. I also refuse for people to make broad statements about other places they don't care to participate in.

It is much more honorable to agree to disagree.
And so much more adult.
It serves no one, and no place to insist that 'this' place is bad, and I wouldn't go there if I were you.

So, please don't say those things, anymore.
Also, please don't come over to cause trouble. I shall refrain also.

o

And why just stand there and let a person who decided NOT to assimilate, or grow, or fit in, dictate to another group?

Spare me the hystrionics. Kinda funny that you're attacking me but it's ok that Karen had the same reaction yet your heart bleeds for her and not for me? Hmmm.

I tried to bait you, and you bit back. That does NOT excuse my behavior, or yours. We shall see who quits first?

Yes, you tried and failed miserably, I might add. I did not bite back. I saw what you were doing and so did a few people who e-mailed me to let me know what you were doing with your previous post, and commend me for not taking your bait. LOL.

It is much more honorable to agree to disagree.
And so much more adult.
It serves no one, and no place to insist that 'this' place is bad, and I wouldn't go there if I were you.

Speaking about being "more adult". Adults don't usually go around trying to bait anyone and picking fights. LOL. But you're not me nor my boss and I can do as I please. Which includes but is not limited to posting my opinions, reactions, and gut feelings. So thanks for the warning...but you'll forgive me if your warning goes in one ear and out the other.

So, please don't say those things, anymore.
Also, please don't come over to cause trouble. I shall refrain also.

See my reply above. And please note that I don't post in forums I said I don't like and go around trying to bait people into a fight and causing trouble. I'm much more adult than that. LOL.

Thanks for stopping by, again.

o

Thu, Apr 13, 06 at 16:30

Blah blah blah.

Hello? Am I writing into a void? You still haven't answered my question. Are you a smarty britches or not? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

(btw, toots - I love (love love love!) the phrase smarty britches, and I fully intend to use it all the time and pass it off as the product of my very own witty self and not give you any credit whatsover. If that's okay with you...)

o

D'oh.

I was going to add a PS and answer your question but by the end of the post I was rolling around the floor laughing so much. I guess I am a Smarty Britches although I prefer the term smary pants as smarty britches make me feel like I'm putting on airs.

Although honestly I prefer a Corona and baked tortilla chips with a Mango Salsa over Tecate and pork rinds. But that's about the extent of my fancyness.

o

Mango salsa sounds pretty highfalutin' to me...but I guess the pork rinds bring you back to earth ;)

o

Pork rinds

I am back on that low carb diet and really craving chips and salsa. Cheese curds and salsa and green pepper and salsa did not do it for me tonight. Pork rinds and salsa might have hit the spot. Mango salsa sounds pretty good too.

o

Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 5:30

You know, I have a long and varied HISTORY with Ms. Karen. I've enquired after her property, how her marriage went, and I LIKE HER. Why should I care a flying fig about a bully like you???

Oh, I just LOVE when a MAN describes my behavior with 'hysterical' or 'hystrionics'. Have you checked your audience here lately?????? Noticed where the seats are leaning?

P*Off.
I'll be where I want, when I want, and I won't duck. Bring your lunch.
I'll bring a step stool, cause I'm short.

o

Look here, Cena.

You know I like you a lot. But don't you dare bring me into a defense of this ridiculous diatribe you have going against MrBrownThumb. I'd say histrionics (correct spelling for both your benefits) is just about right.

You got it? Good!

o

I feel like I'm watching a tennis match--- and the ball goes back and forth, back and forth.
I gave Mr. BT a point for reminding me that something that strikes me as bland ignorance can be much more offensive when it's personal. (Bugs me when a rare few people assume farmers are all getting government subsidies for not growing crops, when we're busting our rears,-- so I can certainly see how others assuming every successful minority got a free ride would pack all the more burn.)

Now I've got to give Cena a point about the "hystronics" comment. That really wasn't nice...not to Cena, not to women in general.

Mrbrownthumb-- Will you do me a favor and try to understand Cena's feelings on this the same way I took your point about somebody's "affirmative action" comment? You've taken an objectionable (though I maintain, not venomous) comment or two by just one or two posters out of hundreds, in one thread out of thousands, and you've condemned the entire site. You've said bad things about a place that's near and dear to Cena's heart, based on just a teeny fraction of what's there. Even if you don't like her reaction, please try to understand it. Nobody likes being "lumped" based on what a very few "others" of their group do.
I know both of you can take care of yourselves, but geez, it's the shrapnel...

o
RE: Hot Topics and etymology

The word histrionics is not related to the word "hysterical." Hysterical, which once meant related to the uterus, can indeed be insulting when directed at women. Women were crazy because their uterus was acting up.

The word "histrionics" is related to the world of the theater, and refers to a dramatized display of emotion. It is not a complimentary word, but it is in no way sexist.

o

That may well be the etymology of the word, but the connotation of "histrionics" is something else again. It's almost always used to trivialize women's expressions of negative emotions. When's the last time you've heard someone refer to a MAN as having histrionics when he gets upset?
I think the term is offensive, as it's generally used. I put it in the same category as a "catfight" (which by definition doesn't have to be between two women), or a "catty" remark. (Men can be snide, but they're rarely described as catty.)

o

I've heard it used for overly theatrical (that is to say insincere emotional behavior, as opposed to out-of-control emotional behavior) for both sexes.

No matter, as I said before, it is definitely not a compliment.

Do I think what is going on here qualifies as histrionics? I have no doubt that Cena is sincere. Perhaps I'm missing some back story here, and some previous arguments, but when I read Cena's first two posts, my reaction was basically, "What the ____?" The level of emotion seemed shockingly out of proportion to what was said in about TGF in this thread. And the suggestion that MBT might go over to the other forum just to start trouble was well beyond the pale.

o

Cena,

Along with a stool bring a mirror that you can take a long hard look in and see who the bully is. I didn't go over to that other forum and tell them what to post or not to post, nor did I go there looking to pick of fight like you admitted to doing here. Where did I try to dictate to anyone anything like you claimed? You're post epitomized the definition of the word histrionics (thanks for the spell check karen, LOL). The ginormous bold font, the CAPS (which on the net is yelling) the weird and baseless accusation and insinuations-all of it- over dramatic and way over the top. I pictured you shaking a silk white glove in my face as I read that. I would have used another theatrical term and said you were 'chewing up the scenery' but I'm not sure you would have gotten it. Either way I stand behind my word choice used to describe your post. On the other hand I do apologize to any readers who were offended because of the other meaning of it, I was using it in the context of the theater where a man or woman can use histrionics for effect. That post just reminded me so much of the last time I was forced to watch Mommy Dearest. But Cena you can go back and clue your friends in on why minorities are lacking on gardening forums; A) They don't like being considered a problem that needs to be solved. B) Nothing worse than thinking you're in a safe place reading about something you love only to have to deal with political issues. Had I come to GW and seen the garbage in the Hot Topics forum I would have passed it up and never bothered joining. Unfortunately they added it after I had already put down my roots. My very existance is political my hobbies and where I chose to learn about them don't need to be.

Ooojen,

I'll give you that it was only a couple of posts out of many...but as I have said since the begining those few were enough to keep me away. I never said the whole forum was bad or all the people. I only said something specific posted that was very political (and to me offensive) and that political stuff kept me away. Cena's reaction and baiting was way out of line. To me the subject was over as I made the post on March 11th. Why bother bringing all of this up on April 3rd? Simply to cause a problem and get people riled up. I was talking about me and my reaction, I never told anyone not to go over there I never said anything about the whole membership. I find it very hard to take her feelings about that place into consideration when she had little respect for my reaction to what I read, so little respect that (by her own admittion) she came here to bait me into an argument a long time after I posted. Members going around picking fights on other sites does little to combat my already tainted perception of the place.

I too feel like I'm missing some back story here or some previous argument but to be honest I don't even remember ever saying anything to Cena before this thread. To be honest I don't even remember her much from before this thread. I suspect that since Nigella was brought into this by her in a previous post it may have something to do with her. Maybe it has to do with when I was annoyed seeing the Nike Ad Complaint thread in 6 other forums on GW? I really don't know and really don't even want to know. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here