Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quick help, my botanicizers!

Posted by catalina_101 8a sw BC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 14:48

I'm doing a translation (Span to Eng) and there's a word, ojo which literally means "eye" but also means "daisy". This story I'm translating revolves around a misunderstanding over the word ojo. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I'd translate that. So far I think I might use Iris, but you guys are infinitely brilliant and might have something even better :D

It has to be one word (eg. Iris) that could be misconstrued for eyes. (EG Black eyed Susan wouldn't work).

Annny suggestions are lovely!

Hope all are well, take care!
kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quick help, my botanicizers!

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 16:43

Kat - Iris sounds like the best option to me! And aren't we lucky that English also has an eye/flower word? What are the chances?!?

Shelly

PS - you know you're brilliant, right? I would NEVER, in a hundred thousand kajillion years, have EVER thought of Iris.

o

Hi Kat,

One more:

1) Orbea

but, paraphrasing Ms. S. above, Iris is more better.

o

Iris is very good if you can work it in. The only problem could be that people don't usually talk about other people's ocular irises unless they're being pretty technical...I mean, it'd be odd to say, "She has very pretty irises" in place of "She has very pretty eyes". It suggests that other parts of her eyes are somewhat less attractive. Like I said, it depends on how it's going to be worked into the story. You could even go back to the roots of "daisy", which'd be MOL, "Day's Eye".

If you were writing the story from scratch instead of translating, I could see some great comedy-of-errors possibilities with using orbea!

Best of luck with your translation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here