Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

Bras from Scratch? lol

tisha_
18 years ago

Has anyone here ever had a bra made for them? I'm thinking about getting one made and I was just wanting to pre-fitting feed back from anyone who has had one made before.

Comments (18)

• jeffrey_harris
    17 years ago

Nope, but I'd want to be kept abreast of the latest developments, too.

• ooojen
    17 years ago

I haven't had a bra made from scratch, either, but I do have a bra with lace that scratches. Close enough?

• jeffrey_harris
    17 years ago

I remember reading a New York Times Fashion Magazine special about a lady's experience having a bra made in one of them there Haute Coulture shops in Paris - quite the experience, and the single bra was about $400.

And that probably doesn't even being to scratch the surface of custom undergarment design, construction and acquisition.

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Well, I was wondering when the jokes would be coming in on this thread. Especially with this crowd. lol

$400 for a bra! That's incredible, but then anything custom-made can be expensive.

Larry

• jeffrey_harris
    17 years ago

Well, Larry, do tell me if the following is true:

If you're making a bra from scratch, wouldn't one of the ingredients be two cups?

• larry_b
    17 years ago

Jeffery, you're terrible! lol

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hey Tisha,

May I pls. ask (just curious), why a custom-made bra? Unless one had a real specific &/or difficult fit problem, I can't imagine why go to the expense of this?

As an alternative, have you tried looking for a corseterium? (When I was in my teens there were highly specialized undergarment shops where they were older women whose expertise was in correctly sizing & fitting women for their bras would spend time fitting & then selecting the most appropriate bras.) As I was large from a young age, my Mom thought it smart to get me really well-fitted for a minimizer-type bra, was well worth it & left me w/ a very high standard & expectation for bras ever after (I've been a devout underwire wearer ever-after). I've often heard & read that women commonly wear the wrong bra size, which makes a big difference in fit, support & comfort.

If you could find a proper corseterium, you'd probably get a comparable result for less money than custom-made.

Jeff, you ARE terrible & your comment is tempting to respond to ... but I'll behave & pass ...

Larry, as to custom bras, I imagine they'd be in a similar realm to custom shoes, which I've seen/heard of here in NYC, also quite pricey (but I'm sure, supremely comfy)!

• tisha_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PG, I've had a fitting done before and I'm a 40F.

I'm 5' tall, I have a short torso, and one shoulder that seems to be ever so slightly too slopey (is that a word?). I'm also pretty picky and have an extreme hate for lace and cup seams.

I have the money. I want to have a bra made. I don't really see why I shouldn't be able to if I want to, and can.

• senga
    17 years ago

Go for it. I have a drawer full of practicaly new bras that were nice at first, but after a few hours I have to tug, pull or readjust. If by any chance I happen to get a bra that fits, I go back to the store and get every color there is in the same style and size. I know it may be a funny topic for discussion, but for some of us it is a real problem, and it is not caused only by size, but also but the different way bodies are built, slightly different proportions. Good luck

• Mentha
    17 years ago

I tried to make my own bra once, it flopped. Don't ever try to make your own even with a pattern. I was just learning to sew by machine, ugh! That was about the time my mom gave me her black crocheted bikini thinggy and the black bell bottomed one piece zip front suit, from the early 70's. It was kind of cool wearing clothes older than I was. It must be really nice to be able to pay $400 for a bra, I say go for it, when you have kids you'll not ever have the luxury of buying anything special made.

• tisha_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And I don't have to have one made "from scratch". (LOL @ jen's scratchy bra, btw) You can always have custom fittings done, where you find a bra that's close and then they alter it from there. Just like they would if you had a pair of pants that didn't fit just right.

But, man, to have a bra completely made just for you... how can that not be every woman's dream come true?

• canttype
    17 years ago

OMG! 40 F

Didn't know you could buy a bra that size !!

Sorry, I don't mean to snicker so loudly but, if I were you I'd be more interested in plastic surgery for a breast reduction!!! That must be very hard on your back being that front heavy! (and I mean that nicely:-) No wonder you want to have a bra made just your size! My 36 B just seems easy to find, wear and mostly they are comfie....(that is when I choose to wear one) 40 F is another kettle of fish, I'm sure.

Go for it! Get one made... hey maybe it's cheaper to get 2 made?

(Still LoL about Jeff and oojen's first comments)
    Diane

• tisha_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm sure at some point in my life I'll have to get reduction surgery. Right now, I'm only 29 and I haven't had any kids yet. Unless something happened and I started having back problems, I'd like to wait until after I have kids, in case I want to breast feed.

And, a 40F is HUGE, but it's the same size as a 40DDD. That sounds huge too, but for some reason, to me, the DDD sounds smaller than F. LOL But yeah, you can buy bras in sizes up to "L" and beyond. "L" is the biggest I've heard of anyplace ever carrying, but I'm sure there's probably SOMEONE out there with bigger ones than that. Of course, if you're that big, you might not be the kind of person who can like leave your house, so you might not even ever have the occasion to wear a bra. (No offense to anyone with that large of a chest, of course!)

But, even though I've got big boobs, they are by far not the biggest ones ever or anything! lol

• tisha_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cr*p! I hate posting the 13th post!

• calla_lady
    17 years ago

Jeff you are soooo bad! That is why we love you so!

Tisha I once worked for a lady that was 4'11" and also a 40F. she said that when she had her daughter and was breastfeeding she was unable to find a nursing bra that fit and resorted to having custom bras made (not even close to 400.00 though). They fit so much better that she never went back to buying bras from the store again. She would get couple made a year. She said that the fit and the support was unbelievably different. I think that you will be pleased.

Good luck! Alicia :~)

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

My daughter is an F or even a G at times. Have you looked into the bra that Oprah likes. I got one for dd for Christmas but it was back ordered and she hasn't gotten it yet. I think it cost $70. In chicago you can go to a bra boutique

Jeffrey-you are very clever.

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Again Tisha,

I don't think I said you shouldn't get it, but if it came out that way I DO apologize, certainly not what I meant. Of course you should get it if you like, absolutely.

Personally, I didn't I know breast came in those sizes, & I can certainly understand & respect the fit considerations. I also didn't know custom bras were that readily available, so I got 2 lessons here, for the price of one ;>) !!!!

I can relate to hating cup seams myself, been a pet peeve for years. I used to have a great bra yrs. ago whose cup was the smoothest, seamless semi-molded pliable cup that was fabulous, I almost cried when I heard they were being discontinued. Wished I could have bought a boat load of 'em. They were my only conscession to clothes w/ logos, which I despise (it was as embelished CD, the intials of the designer). Made me giggle to think that it would be seen by invitation only!

By all means Tisha, go for it & pls. report back!!

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    16 years ago

I believe on my sewing forum One gal took such a class and was happy with her bra she made If anyone is interested Thanks all wish Olga (I believe ) still make the one Im wearing. Have 3 of them and wished I bought more. Tried a WAcoal years ago. wish I would have kept it. Found out for lady in the lingerie dept that the wacoal I liked was discontinued
    Jean
    Jean

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company