Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishies_gw

games! games! games!

fishies
18 years ago

Hi all - I thought I'd bring this game over from the HT conversation forum. Anyone wanna play???

Here's how it works. I'll give you the opening line(s) from a novel/poem/play, and you guess which literary work it's from. If you guess, then write down another opening line (or lines) from a novel/poem/play, and the first person to guess that one puts down ANOTHER opening line... etc.

Okay, so... are you guys in?

I'll start - this one's really easy. So easy, in fact, that I'm going to blank out the heroine's name, otherwise it'd be a total give-away :)

"S_______ O'____ was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were."

Comments (18)

• ooojen
    18 years ago

You know, I drew a complete blank the first time I read this...the second time through I actually looked at the initials! (Duh) Still, I'm going to have to pass it on to somebody else, because the only opening line I can think of at the moment is, "It was the best of times..." and that's WAY too easy!

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Shelly,

Would that be 'Gone With The Wind'?

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That it would, Jeffrey! Scarlett O'Hara, one of my favourite heroines :)

Are you going to offer us a quote?

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Why, Ma'am, a pleasure for you to ask, but I beg your indulgence in offering two, since each one is so short:

1) 'Tom!'

2) 'It was a pleasure to burn.'

• ooojen
    18 years ago

1)The Adventures of Tom Sawyer?
    2)Dunno

How 'bout this one? "Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheuren Ungeziefer verwandelt."
    (My German is even less than rudimentary, but it's just too darned easy in the English translation.)

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Borschkety, Borschkety, Borch, Borch, Borch, Borch! Spring chicken!

Shoot. Wait. That's the Swedish Chef.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear OooJen the Ooolicious,

1) Yep, you got it...Zu Bett Ja!!!!!!

2) Farenheit 451

My German is nein existent, but I'm thinking it was something by Kafka - maybe 'Metamorphisis'?

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

From OooJen's text, I think the translation is:

ÂAs Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed into a giant insect.Â

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Yep, yep! I figured the name Gregor Samsa might be enough for some bright soul...the giant insect part would be a give-away :)

Another, 2 sentences 'cause it's too hard with just one:
    "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. (Name witheld), his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him."

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The conspiracy theorist's favourite book, of course: 1984, by George Orwell.

Big Brother may be watching *you* but my sistah is watching over me.

Okay, I have absolutely no idea what I meant by that, but at least it makes more sense than that weird Swedish Chef thing I posted this afternoon. Midterm marking is EATING MY BRAIN.

Okay, another sentence... hmmm... I'm going to have to dig through my library for one...

Oh, I found one, and it makes my heart melt. One of the most beautifully-crafted love stories EVER. This game is inspiring me to reread an awful lot of books :)

Here goes:

"Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically."

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jen, didn't your handle used to only have two O's? Now you have three. I'm confused.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I am supposed to be reading this book for my book club that meets next Sunday. For some reason it had not become a page turner for me...yet, I hope.
    High atop the steps of the great Pyramid of Giza a young woman laughed and called down to him.

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ahhh... currently the bane of my existence:

Dan Brown's Angels & Demons.
    (A bane second only to The DaVinci Code).

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Shelly-- "Moonstruck" wasn't adapted from a book, was it?
    As to Dan Brown-- Bane of your existence? Why? Do people expect you to sort out the reality for them, ...what with you having education in that area and all? ...or maybe they ought to find a truth-sorter and don't?

I think a really, really long time ago I might have had two "n's" and two "o's", as a typo I didn't correct for a while. It has been this way for years, though (from some long-forgotten forum where I needed a 6-character log-in name, so I added the o's).

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, you guys are starting to know me a little too well. No, Moonstruck was not adapted from a book :) But if it had been, it'd be dog-eared on my bookshelf, believe you me! The quote I wrote down is more of a contemporary classic.
    A hint? Mellors is the name of the hero.

Maybe "bane" was a little strong, but it's certainly annoying that Every Single Term, at least one student asks, with wide-eyed tabloid eyes, if Mary M. and J. really did make babies... Have you heard about those historians who have filed a lawsuit, claiming that Brown plagiarized from one of their books? You know, if my academic work were in ANY way associated with that book, I wouldn't advertize it. To their credit, though, they claim that one of the reasons they've filed the lawsuit is because they feel that being associated with Brown's book makes their own work look bad.

I like the idea of a "truth-sorter", though :) Sounds like some sort of futuristic, robotic computer device - like you'd find in a "Jetsons" court room.

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No one has any ideas as to what book that quote is from? Come on, guys! You know you've read it... it's just that the first line doesn't have a whole lot to do with the 'love' business I was blabbing about earlier.

Okay, one more hint: the title sort of rhymes with "baby blatterleys blubber." :)

Okay, now I'm just being silly. Again.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

LOL!
    Could it be "Lady Chatterly's Lover"? Naaah, probably not...

• fishies
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL :)

You've got to admit, "baby blatterley's blubber" was a good one :)