Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbrownthumb

Garden Exchange.

mrbrownthumb
18 years ago

Anyone here ever used the Garden Exchange to unload stuff? It used to be for paying members only but iVillage opened up and now the riff-raf like me can post. I found some unused candles From Pier 1 Imports I had and put them up for trade for plants.

I don't know if it will work but it will be interesting to see what if someone wants them. They're good candles and are scented to high heaven. I just took them out of the closet and now my room is smells like well I don't know what. It's an interesting mix of smells going on. I think I need to open a window, I'm not accustomed to having scents in my room.

:0)

Comments (7)

• canttype
    18 years ago

Oh!.... I sure wish I could trade with you:-)

Candles and plants go hand in hand,(at least in my home) so I suspect your ploy for more plants might just work;-)

Diane

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Diane,

You know yesterday was the first day I realized your name was can't type. I was having the hardest time trying to pronounce it in my head. LOL. I'm not that big on candles I don't know what possed me to buy these....I've been burning the same one for years now and I can't finish it.

I just looked at your member page and learned you were in Canada and you don't do much outdoor gardening. I think if I lived the cold North I would have to build and live in a green house.

Anyway, I've gotten a few replies to it but mostly I'm thinking it may not make sense to trade one person a candle for a plant. Mostly because of the cost and cost of shipping seems to be coming out to more than it would cost me to buy the darn thing in Home Depot.

Although this little experiment did teach me a thing or two. One of the persons that e-mailed is someone who I have wanted to trade with for a long time, and one other person is a trader who never wanted any of the seeds I had to trade before.

Hmmm.

• canttype
    18 years ago

Oh I never thought of the cost on your end to send candles in the mail! Oops.... you should have chosen something lighter to trade:-)

Yeah.... I've been canttype for many years where ever I go on the net. My typing skills have gotten alot better,(now should change my name to cantspell!!) thanks to playing Boggle at Jumbalaya.com. Great site btw, wonderful people playing there too!

Living up here makes outdoor and indoor gardening tricky but atleast indoors I can control the temps, light.... Every year the winters are getting warmer and the summers are getting cooler and rainy. Seems global warming only effects us in the winter??? (makes winter more tolerable)Hasn't hit -40c/f (same temp at -40) once this year(touch wood) and say 10 years ago, it was almost the norm. I have plans for a greenhouse in the next year or 2 but we have a monster garage to finish first.

Diane

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yesterday I got an e-mail with some 'special' offer from Home Depot, among them were greenhouses and I saw one that would fit perfectly in a pace in my back yard. Now I only have to figure out where to get the two thousand dollars from. :0)

I think this spring and summer I'm going to haunt the alley ways and look for spare windows and build one out of the many windows I see put out when the weather is nice.

• canttype
    18 years ago

I have about 30 windows you could have!! We were planning a glassed in porch beside our garage but we changed our minds. Too many kids with nothing to do (rocks come to mind)and it would have been too close to the street for comfort!

We will eventually build a greenhouse with some of them.

Windows are easy to come by here as everyone has WAY to much $$$ and never recycle anything! We just asked people we saw renovating to save them for us, instead of taking them to the dump!

'Alley Bopping' is a blast(IMHO) and hopefully you can find enough windows!
    Diane

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's a lot of rehabing of older homes and buildings in the city and they're just tossing the stuff out. Down the street from me is an old police station, built around 1907 and they just redid the windows and tore out all the stained glass. I looked out the window and saw the stained glass windows sitting in the alley. I ran down to try to salvage them but by the time I got there a man was already loading them up on his truck. Man it was a sad day. :0(

• canttype
    18 years ago

Ohhhh....What a sin! You gotta be quick!

I'm in a city that doesn't have alleys in residential areas:-(
    Everyone puts their garbage out on the curb, friday mornings! I can't take garbage/treasures from in front of the house!! Alleys are one thing but streets are quite another! Hubbie would shoot me.... what would the neighbors think? I miss Calgary for their great alleys. (other stuff too but...)

Happy hunting,
    Diane