Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Are you a Yankee?

larry_b
18 years ago

Hey you all,

Are you a Yankee or a Rebel. Take the test below. I was 36% dixie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yankee or Rebel

Comments (14)

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Larry,

Although raised mostly in Louisiana, I got the following:

58% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I am "definitely a Yankee". I'm surprised how many of my answers don't jibe with where I live, though. Some are for technical reasons (There is a phisiological difference between a sowbug and a pillbug; sowbugs can't roll up-- In a crustacean guide book, you'd find
    "crayfish", not crawanything) and some (route, aunt) just come from my parents teaching me good diction, a little bit of which stuck. I do say "carmel", though I actually know better.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

i am: 37% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.
    i have a funny segue:
    i grew up on the west coast in albany, oregon BUT my high school was the South Albany Rebels and our school flag was a confederate flag AND our school mascot was RE Lee on his horse, Traveler! obviously, our colors were grey and red.

i didn't think anything of it then, but now they are doing all sorts of stuff like removing the confederate flags from state buildings etc. and now i realize how really weird that is.

-ming

• tisha_
    18 years ago

71% Dixie. Your neck must be a little pink!

1) I pronounce "Aunt" like the word "ant".
    2) Caramel is Car-ml.
    3) Creek rhymes with Meek.
    4) 2nd syl in "pajamas" is just like it's spelled
    5) Number 5 was tough. Route is root when I'm talking about Route66, but it's usually rowt at other tumes. I went with Root66 since it's the most common for me.
    6) Cot and Caught? How else would you pronounce it other than kawt?
    7) Ya'll
    8) Garage Sale
    9) Sub (what the h*ll is a Grinder???)

1. Crawdad
    2. Tennis shoes
    3. Icing
    4. Service road
    5. I put my groceries in a sack. The funny thing is, the other day I noticed that anymore when I'm asking someone if they have a sack, I usually say, "Do you have a wal-mart sack?" LOL How sad is that? It's just like the #16..."Do you want a coke? What kind? Dr. Pepper."
    6. Water fountain
    7. Coke - see #14
    8. I TP'd some houses in high school.
    9. What do ya'll call the night before Halloween? I've never heard of any of those things.
    10. Drive through liquor store? I've heard of them, but I still had to use the first answer, because I've never heard them called anything special.
    11. Roly-Poly!
  • ooojen
    18 years ago

Funny, I've got a majority of those in common with you, Tisha -- 2,3,5 (I hadn't thought of it, but I say Root 66, too...I just don't live anywhere near R66, so it's generally rowt), 6,8,9 (Our school lunch menu called them Hoagies, but that's the only place I've seen that used- heard it was a NE thing.), 11, (I use "icing" sometimes, but more often frosting), 13,15 (though I used to say "bubbler" when I was a little kid...maybe 'cause I spent my first 5 years in Wisconsin?), 17,18, & 19.

That's 12 out of 20 the same between a Minnesotan and an Oklahoman!

• karen715
    18 years ago

Definitely Yankee, at only 34% Dixie. I was interested to find that I had answers that covered virtually all regions of the country. I was born and raised in the NYC area, as were my parents. But my mother's parents were from Virginia, and my father's parents were from Massachusetts. Both sets of grandparents were strong influences in my life, and it seems, in my way of speaking.

Now I live in the Midwest. My husband, who is also from the New York metropolitan area, and I have agreed on two things:

A. No matter how long we live here, we will never, ever, ever call carbonated soft drinks "pop." (It's soda and that's all there is to it!)

B. Though it is tasty enough, Chicago style pizza is not real pizza, and is not an appropriate substitute for the same.

• canttype
    18 years ago

36% Dixie and Yankee the rest of the way! Seems to make sense being I'm from Canada but when to 1 year of High School in San Antonio, Texas. (My Mom and my Aunt are still there)

Kids use to bug me alot about the way I spoke..... but Shakespear with a southern drawl seemed WAY stranger to me:-)

That was fun:-)
    Diane

• larry_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What Tisha did by putting down each response was fun, so I though I would do the same. Oh, I took the test again and know that I answered each question the same and my score is really 31%. I should really try not to memorise stuff. lol Anyway, here goes:

1. ant

2. carm'l

3. Crick

4. pajamas - jam, like one puts on his or her bread.

5. Root. Otherwise it's something that happens when you win a football game by a big score.

6. cot, caught - the same sound.

7. Actually, it's supposed to be just "you".

8. Yard sale

9. Sub

1. Crawdad

2. tennis shoes

3. Frosting

4. Frontage road

5. Sack

6. Water fountain

7. Soda. It used to be pop, but I lived on the East coast for 2 1/2 years and got laughed at so much that it broke me of using that word. I now say soda.

8. T.p.

9. What?

10. What?

11. Pillbug

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

I'm a yankee doodle dandy

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Gee, I got a 44, barely in Dixie;, yikes & I'm pretty much a Yankee, feels like through & through.

Maybe the explanation is that I grew up elsewhere. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, then NYC area w/ sojurns a couple of yrs. each in Bufflo & Phila. Maybe I need a specific test for foreign raised hybrids?

Fun test tho'

Yeah I knew folks from Michigan who said 'pop', I must say I heard lots of laughs abt that one.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

We say "pop" up here, but "soda" is gradually creeping into our vocabularies. Soda used to just be that stuff you'd put in cookies and biscuits to make them rise, or in the refrigerator to keep it smelling nice.
    From old old stuff I've read, I gather it used to be "soda pop", and then for some odd reason it split off differently in different regions.
    Other than the soda/pop thing, it's kind of funny-- the accent of the southern part of MN is different from the northern part. I really noticed it when I moved down here. Even though the people are mostly two or more generations removed from Europe, the people's accent where I'm from (land of Eino and Toivo jokes) has more influence from the sounds of Finnish, and the southerners' (Twin Cities and south- land of Ole and Lena jokes) more from Norwegian. If you hear somebody with that stereotypical "Minnesota accent", they're most likely of Norwegian descent...or putting on. It's uncommon enough that I can definitely notice it when I hear it, don't ya know. You betcha!

((Just for the record, the jokes mentioned are mostly just silly, and they don't ridicule any particular aspect of culture. IME they're told, more often than not, by Finns and Norwegians themselves.))

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

30% Dixie. Definately a Yankee. Living on an army post was fun let me tell you. There was a little of everything and every so often someone would have to spell a word or describe when meaning just wasn't getting through.

I had a good roundabout with someone in a back woods New Jersey Mom & Pop store trying to buy pop until someone overheard and told him I probably wanted soda.

Hard to believe there are drive thru liquor stores anywhere. Is that one for real? Sandy

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

61% Dixie, just below the Mason-Dixon line. No surprise there, though I thought I should score higher Dixie. LOL

GH

• mocountryboys
    17 years ago

UMMMM 74% dixie....and getting worse....LOL this area is REAL southern for Missouri.

Speaking of drive-through liqor, around here there's a couple of drive-through liquor stores with gas stations and gun shops all in one....what a combination!

Tim