Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitten SOS

Posted by mentha 9 CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 1:35

Any of you homesteading types, could you please tell me of an antibiotic safe for a 6 week kitten? I have one which was attacked by a rabbit which adopted our yard. I had to super-glue it's skin together, but I'm unsure of an antibiotic. I usually use a spray antibiotic, but don't want to since he's likely to get sick from licking it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitten SOS

Mentha,

If at all possible, I would get Kitten to a vet ASAP. I know this doesn't answer your question, but for one so young, professional help is best.

o

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff, but the only other option it has is euthination. Hubby gave him a week for me to decide. It's holding up very well, he ran today :) so unless it gets infected it will be fine.

The only animals I've taken to the vet are things like spay/neuter, or a scratched out eye, dog attack, or emergency c-section on large livestock. If it were a large farm animal it would go to the vet. Everything else I treat myself or put the animal down. I have some terramyacin but when I tried to google it with 'oral' and 'cat' I got kind of disgusted. I don't want to use it unless it's needed. I just have it on hand if I do.

o

Mentha,

Then I would go ahead with just keeping it clean, and maybe feeding Kitty with some vitamins in its food - maybe you can wipe the wounded area(s) with alcohol?

There's this supplement (don't know the name, but we called it 'Kitty Steroids') that comes in a tube and is supposed to supllement mother's milk.

Best of luck with him - he sounds like a fighter.

o

kitty steroids hehe. He's still nursing, so maybe he'll pick up her antibodies also. I also have some milk replacement, I could give him some of that also. I need some betadine so I'm going to go to the vet supply as soon as hubs gets paid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here