Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's all coming together...

Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 28, 06 at 19:45

I just checked the American Academy of Religion website, and the 2007 AAR annual meeting is in San Diego. This is the conference that I absolute have to attend, because I'll be in the final year of my PhD and on the job market - a lot of interviews are scheduled at this conference.

Do you know what's near San Diego? Arizona! Arizona is near San Diego! It's like the stars are aligning to find me the perfect job.

Okay, okay... maybe I'm just all hopped up on the painkillers. Maybe the universe isn't working on some master plan to find me a job in Arizona. But STILL. Isn't it exciting? The location of the conference means there's more likelihood that small colleges and universities from the Southwest will hold their interviews there. It is so totally a fabulous turn of events. I've really got to make sure I'm ABD by November 2007.

Imagine: me, in Arizona, with cacti in my front yard, and stars overhead. Heck, I'd even take New Mexico if it came down to it.

"When the mooooooooon
Is in the seventh houuuuuuse
And Jupiteeeeeeer
Aligns wiiiith Maaars

Then peeeeaaaaaaaace
Will guide the plaaanets
And looooooooooove
Will steer the stars!"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's all coming together...

Universities? There are a few Christian Colleges in the Bay Area.

If you're looking at recreation, SDES has their epiphyllums at the Wild Animal Park. If you want to come up to SLO county, I could show you all sorts of nurseries you'd drool over. Jeff Harris should be able to tell you more about other C&S finds in the SD area.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Colleges

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 30, 06 at 21:02

Ooooh, I don't think the Christian colleges want much to do with me... I'm all tattooed and liking cute boys and wanting to reconstruct the devil - you know, stuff that most Christian colleges don't take to very well :)

o

lol, I hear some of the Christian colleges around here are pretty liberal. I'm sure you could find one that'd be happy with the tattoos. The liking cute boys would be a perk also. However we'd have to work on recostructing the devil though, he'd have to play second fiddle for a while. :)

o

Was he ever really deconstructed?

One of the colleges DD was considering, and which our family visited with her, was a Quaker school. That was either the weekend before, or after 4/20, and the party was on! I was a bit surprised.

Anyway-- I'm so glad you got out to see the sunshine, Shelly! ("Wait 'til the sun shines, Shelly, when the clouds go drifting by...") That's got to be good for you, inside and out :)
How did the cacti fare? Did you get to check on them, or were they too far away?

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 31, 06 at 9:52

The cacti are doing fine!!! :) A little burning on the winter growth on my euphorbias, but not too much - it was overcast and rainy for the first week that they were out, so they had a chance to get used to outdoor light before having to deal with any direct sun at all. And it's been raining in the evenings for the past few days, so I don't even have to worry about watering them. Life is fabulous :)

Now if I can just move them to Arizona, my master plan will be complete....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here