Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onomatopoeia

Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 9:48

Well, I had to check the dictionary to get the correct spelling for ~that~ one.

Anyway, I've been thinking for the past few minutes about how to write out weird sounds.

pfft is pretty common.

And 'bah', too.

But how do you write out that little half-kitty-meow sound you make, usually accompanied by a slight shrug of the shoulders, to indicate that something is insignificant?

'meyh'?
'eyh'?
'eynh'?

Do I even need a 'y' in there?

I love onomatopoeia, you know I do, but it can be trying at times.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onomatopoeia

My Dear Ms. Fishies,

Here in the Southwest, Dirty Buddy, giving credence that he's a direct descendant of Mexican jaguars, often ends his 'meyh' with an 'Aaaiii, Chico!'.

A new term that I've come across, one that has Canadian roots, mind you, is 'horking'. Quite onomatopoeic, its definition is best exemplified by going to the link below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/cactusmcharris/dreds.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfect Visual Example of Hork

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 18:01

Ewwwwww!

PS - is horking a verb or an adjective?

o

Well, lovely language that English is, it can be both, to wit:

See Clio graze on the lawn. Later, see Clio hork.

If Clio is inside, Jeff must clean up the horking mess before the good ladies from Better Homes and Gardens come visiting.

o

Eww & double ewwww to that pic. How anybody would take on a look like that ... well ...

Funny eww when I saw the word 'horking', I could just tell what that'd be. What a yuckily precise picture you paint Jeff!

o

I usually think dreads look cool but that guy might want to reconsider his LOL

Onomatapoeia is definately fun. Alliteration tends to be my favorite literary device though. :o)

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 29, 06 at 12:56

Are you sure those are dreads? It looks more like an abandoned nest to me.

I like onomatopoeia... but I think I may just like saying onomatopoeia, rather than the actual grammatical (or is it literary?) device itself.

My second favourite lit device is pathetic fallacy. Especially when it's pathetically phallic.

o

I tend to feel a little stupid around you guys...but I always google things so if I remember what I looked up, I will appear smarter. Thats why I listen to NPR

Here is a link that might be useful: odd picture from dd

o

I thought it was a giant tarantula on his head!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here