Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two weeks and counting!

Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 12:04

I'm exactly two weeks away from being cast-free. THANK GOD.

I can't wait to take a real shower again.

I also can't wait to see what my foot looks like :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two weeks and counting!

Shelly,

Two weeks will be here before you know it. You have a lot to look forward to. Do you have any idea how much dead skin is on your foot at this moment. You'll be able to soak it in hot water and scrape it off with your fingernails. lol

But seriously, it will be nice for you to get your freedom back. I had knee surgery in my late teens. It was so good to get that thing off and start to get back to normal.

Keep the faith!

Larry

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 17:53

Well, Larry, you sure weren't kidding with that dead skin warning! Sweetness and cream, my foot is *disgusting*!!! And that toenail... ew....

Got the cast taken off this morning. Then, half an hour later, I passed out. Thankfully, a friend of mine was with me, and we were still in the hospital. Jacqueline the Anesthesiologist was walking by at the time, and took care of me. Once I was coherent again, she dropped me off at Emergency. I kept getting lightheaded all day, and just got home about an hour ago. Turns out that A) I'm not pregnant (could have told them that without peeing in a cup...); and B) all those other bouts of lightheadedness were just panic attacks.

sigh.

And as if my day weren't depressing enough, I found out when I got the cast off that I have to wait yet another 8-10 weeks before I can do any real physical activity. I'm going to turn into a marshmallow before this bunion business is over! A pasty, pouffy white marshmallow!

I'm so depressed by this news. Seriously, I thought I'd be hopping about in stilletos (or the non-Pretty Woman equivalent of stilletos, anyway) before the summer was over, and now I can't even take a bike ride into the Gatineau hills. Woe is me.

Anyone want to join my pity party?

Shelly

o

Hi Shelly,

I remember being surprised when my leg cast was removed. I had the feeling that I would just be back to my usual self again. Little did I know that my knee would be frozen and I was in for weeks of stretching exercises before I could bend it enough to function. I would imagine that your ankle is pretty frozen right now. Did they give you stretching exercises?

Don't despair. In a month you should be back to normal. That is, what is normal for you. lol Just kidding. Really, this too shall pass and you will have a great story to tell and even laugh about that one day.

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 10:48

Once again, you're absolutely right, Larry :)

I woke up this morning full of hope and with a big ol' smile on my face.

I've been on my foot in the cast for about 3 weeks now, so while I do have to be *very* careful about how I put my foot down, I can hobble about for short distances already. I was disappointed yesterday, though, because I really did think that the recuperation period would be much shorter. Ah well.

The worst part yesterday was the panic attacks. I had to ask my landlord to walk me to the corner store yesterday evening :) Couldn't make it there alone without going all wing-nutty with the panic. But I've beaten panic once before, and I'll be darned if I'm going to back down now. So I'll be making a point to go somewhere out of the yard at least once a day until I can do it without getting all panicky. If you could hear my thoughts right now, I'm swearing profusely at panic in my head :) I'm even using the 'f' word... oh yeah, I'm telling you: panic had better watch out.

The other freaky thing was when I saw my "new" foot for the first time.

It wasn't my foot.

Is that weird? But seriously, even now, I look at it, and it's attached to my body, but it's not MINE. It's some other, different foot that just happens to be attached to me. It's the weirdest feeling.

And it got me thinking about plastic surgery. Man, I would NEVER get plastic surgery now for something minor. I mean, if I were in a horrible accident or had been burned or what have you, then it's a different story. But something like a facelift or a nose job? NO WAY. Seeing my "new" foot made me realize just how much I love my body.

It's true: I LOVE MY BODY! Imperfections and all. Who knew? Of course, like everyone else, I'm more than willing to complain about pouchy bellies and crows feet, etc... But in the end, I love it all. Like, REALLY love it - like I love my family and my cat and ABBA.

Is this really freaky? Or do you all get these moments where you just love yourself in this all-encompassing way? It's amazing.

o

Oh yes, I can love myself and my life one minute and feel something is drastically wrong the next.

Panic attacks are a nasty thing. But being able to overcome it once should help the next time. Do you remember how you beat it last time. Do you have to have the next surgery so soon. I am sure having to go thru it again is bringing on the panic attack. I suppose it would be odd having just one new foot.

Good luck to you sweety and keep on lovin yourself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here