Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House plant Identity needed

Posted by almosthooked 5 a BC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 21:52

I have a plant that is given to me from a friend who no longer had room but she didn't know the name and it had been given her from another friend. It is in flower now and very striking plant. Can anyone tell me what it is? It looks rather tropical to me

I will send another picture too
Thanks, Faye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House plant Identity needed

Very unique flower but nameless to me so far!

o

Hi,

Very nice. It looks like Billbergia. I don't know why I know this, but search for pix -- this matches well.

Looks especially nice with the Serape beneath it, echos the green beautifully. Enjoy.

o

Pirate girl
You hit the nail right on the head! That is it. Thank you so much for the name! I was surprised to get a reply so quickly as there is not much action on this site.

I am a hosta person and in the summer my poor house plants get kind of not looked after as much.

Faye

o

Faye, this house plant forum has 2 sections. One is for house plant discussions, the other is for any other kind of discussion. You inadvertently asked your question in the conversations section. The section with plant discussions is much more lively.

Lovely Billbergia!!

Removing the drip saucer when watering can mean the difference between life and death for plants. When it's finished dripping, sit it back on the saucer. Then you can water thoroughly when dry, without risking rotting roots from the water caught in the tray.

Bill would probably love to hang in the shade with the Hostas for the summer, the more humid, the better. (I'd put the saucer in a shed or garage until he comes back inside.)
-Tiffany

o

Thanks Tiffany, I was wondering if it could go in my hosta beds for the summer. Do they bloom more then once a year or is it just a spring bloomer. I heard about something to make them bloom but for the life of me, I can't find the site again. May have been Epson salts but not sure

o

Hey Purp,

Thx for explaining about the Discussion side of things, I was so distracted by her gorgeous Billb. that I forgot!

o

K., IKR! Those flowers are really amazing.

Faye, I think you ARE hooked, BTW. My experience with this plant hasn't gone on long enough to talk about what it 'usually' does.

If you ask on the 'other side,' many more people will see it & give you some opinions and anecdotes.
-Tiffany

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here