Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Age super market

Posted by larry_b Z5/CO (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 19:57

Hi all,

The new Supermarket near our house has an automatic water mister to keep the produce fresh. Just before it goes on, you hear the sound of a thunderstorm and the smell of fresh rain.

When you approach the milk cases, you hear cows mooing and witness the scent of fresh butter fat.

When you approach the egg case, you hear hens cackle and the air is filled with the pleasing aroma of eggs frying.

So far I have been too afraid to go down the toilet paper aisle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Age super market

LOL Larry. We have the thunderstorm thing in one of our groceries. So do you think those sounds will make us buy more. I often wonder about the music. I usually notice the songs that are being played and for the most part I like the selection but I always wonder if because I like the music, does Piggly wiggly think I will spend more time in the store buying things

o

I couldn't imagine that all those chemicals would make me want to buy more produce - I wouldn't be able to actually smell the produce over the artificial scents!

Hey! Maybe they should consider real smells - pile in some cow manure and chicken sh** :)

I like grocery store music - it's usually oldies hits or 70s and 80s AM radio fare (anyone remember Stephen Bishop, King of AM Radio?) It makes me want to stay in the store longer. In fact, there's a grocery store downtown that stopped piping in music a few years ago, and I actually switched grocery stores!

o

But have you ever asked the butcher for a dance? I actually did one time as my favorite dance tune came on-he thought I was nuts of course as did the store owner who was standing next to him. But don't you think its some sort of brainwashing-I am sure they have done studies and know what type of music encourage us to spend more money.

o

One of the grocery stores here has thunderstorms in the produce isle too. No scents though. That seems kinda weird to me.....

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 9:26

I'm sure you're right that it's some sort of brainwashing. Lulling us into spending more time in the store, lowering our resistance. Ah, well, it works for me!

Once I heard "Smoking in the Boys Room," back to back with 10cc. Remember when "Smoking in the Boys Room" was an anthem of teen rebellion? (Both times?) Now it's grocery store music.

o

Oh yeah! I had the album, on genuine vinyl...and I never smoked (and only rarely visited the boys' room).

That's pretty interesting, Larry! (lol on the TP! I think I might avoid the pharmaceuticals aisle, too... though the audio might be interesting in...never mind!) My favorite grocery store used to have thunder with it's misting rain, but they quit. We never had any of the other sounds and smells. Being "close to the land" as I am, I kind of thought like Shelly. The sound of chickens cackling reminds me of the smell of chicken poop!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here