Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swimming...don't you love it

Posted by tootswisc z4/5Wi (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 20:25

Our local pool has water aerobics. What a treat to be in a pool in our little town park. Its 7PM and still 91 degrees. I swam laps after the class-had the whole pool to myself. Life just does not get any better. And we are having fresh corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes for supper. Life just does not get any better!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swimming...don't you love it

Hi Diane,

I swim regularly. It is just the best form of excersize in my opinion. I wish I could say that I enjoyed it as much as you do. After swimming on schedule for over 20 years, I must say that there are days when I would rather stay home. lol Even so, after each swim I always feel better and am glad that I went.

Larry

o

Larry, it has to be swimming outside, in the heat, with a nice sky and birds singing. We can do that for only a few days in my neck of the woods. Hey, not to wander, but just what does my neck of the woods mean?

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 10:18

I'll be waiting anxiously for an answer to that one, too, Toots. Do woods even have necks?

o

I googled...

Of course, many inanimate objects have necks: tools, bottles, bones, cannons and violins to name a few. In nature, neck has referred to any narrow strip of water, ice or trees. So, originally, neck of the woods meant a stretch of woodland.

Sometime in the first half of the 19th century, people started referring to the settlements in remote wooded areas as a particular neck of the woods. The first print evidence of the expression is in 1839: "In this neck of the woods" (Sprit of Times 15 June 175/2, 1839). In a book of Americanisms, De Vere writes about the American pioneer: "He will. . .find his neighborhood designated as a neck of the woods, that being the name applied to any settlement made in the well-wooded parts of the South-west especially" (Americanisms: The English of the New World, 1871).

o

I think I must live just at the tip of the right index finger of the woods, then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here