Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Coco, my little love

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm so very depressed.

Today, I took Coco to the vet for his rabies and other shots.
They did a blood test.
Coco does not want his fur cut...he hates scissors.
I spoke to the vet, and they agreed to sedate and groom him next Thurs.
I was so very happy.

I walked up to the front desk to pay, when the vet said she needed to talk to me.

Coco has heartworm. I can't f'ing believe it.
They gave me several pages of heartworm instructions.
I read through, plus checked online.

This disease is horrible.
To top it off, the medication to kill worms can also kill the dog.
They inject dogs w/poison. This disease is more threatening with small dogs. Coco weights 17 pounds.

I don't know what to do. An untreated dog dies painfully. The medication can cause instant death.
After treatment, the dog has to stay in a quiet environment..no exorcise or walking.

Has anyone here had a dog who had heartworm, and if so what did you do?

Toni

Comments (28)

• auron22
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I took in an albino german shepherd at one point with heartworm. He was over 80lbs though.... We did the treatment, for a little while he seemed very down, but bounced back and we found him a great home.

Do they administer "x amount" based on the dogs weight? If so, then it might not be an issue unless the dog is weak from old age or some other means.

Do you have a mosquito problem in your area? If I recall correctly that's how dogs get heartworm. I think flea medicine can repel mosquitos as well, I would use that during warmer months. Not the cheap stuff though, they can cause problems like permanent nerve damage. Frontline, and I think K-9 advantix are two brands that are safer. Just a precaution so something like this, or other possible diseases from pests don't happen.

I personally think you should give him the treatment, heartworm is not something to mess with and would probably be a more agonizing death than by poison.

How old is he and what breed? Does he seem healthy?

I hope your baby the best. (I tend to call dogs babies....reguardless of breed/age....so needy).

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Oh Toni,I hope Coco will be okay. I agree with Auron...Coco needs that treatment.

For those who haven't seen him yet...

This is Coco.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Auron and Asleep..Thank you.

After much thought, we agreed to go ahead with treatment.
    We brought Coco to the vet today for x-rays.
    The vet said he's Stage 2A.

Stages are rated from 1-4. When a dog or cat is stage 4, euthanization is recommended.

Coco started meds today too. An antibiotic and steroid.

Coco is a Shih-Poo. A cross between a Shih-tzu and Poodle.
    He turned 6-yrs-old, Aug 15th. Life span of a Shih-tuz is 15+ years, so he's still young. Wouldn't you say???

I think they'd give the Immiticide by weight. I hope so, anyway.
    Otherwise, I believe Coco is healthy considering the abuse he suffered as a puppy.
    He doesn't have a heart murmur, enlarged heart or fluid in his lungs, which is a good sign.

I thought mosquitoes were everywhere? During spring we had daily rain...when it rains, mosquitoes are out by the thousands.
    My dh walks Coco in the woods on weekends...the woods are mosquito packed.

Yes, we use Frontline.

Coco is my baby...:) It's funny because he has stuffed animals. When we took him in, he saw a stuffed animal, Garfield, in our son, Michael's bedroom. Garfield was given to Mike from his g/f.
    Anyway, they allowed Coco to keep Garfield. Garfield is Coco's favorite stuffed animal, or as we call him, his Baby.
    I'll say, 'Coco, get your baby.' Out of all his stuffed toys, he runs to get Garfield. lol

He carried his Baby around most of the time.

Thanks for your concern, Auron.

How's the white Shephard nowadays? Does he get frequent blood tests?
    I bet he was gorgeous. Love white Shephards, but they're impossible locating.

Asleep, Thanks for your concern and posting Coco's picture.
    You can see why I was so happy when the vet agreed to sedate and cut his fur.
    When I asked before, they didn't groom, but thankfully do now.

Now, we have to wait until this heartworm problem is resolved. I wish Coco did fear scissors..The fur on his face, especially around his mouth drives me crazy.
    He's having problems eating because of a few strands. It looks like a bug when wet. :)

Anyway, thanks to you both. If you pray, please say a prayer for Coco.

Hugs, Toni

• auron22
    10 years ago

That Garfield bit made my day :)
    He's a gorgeous dog, and sounds like he has a wonderful personality. Was he a rescue or something? I almost cry thinking about someone abusing such a nice dog.

2A doesn't sound too rough, I bet he'll recover in flying colors :) Is it like 2A, 2B, 3A and so on? I agree 6 years is actually pretty young if lifespan averages to 15+. My dog rosie is 8 and everyone mistakes her for a puppy. I guess she looks like she is supposed to get bigger. She is 28lbs. Still active and playful.

I live in a city that sprays for mosquitoes, I guess it's convenient...but I dislike the idea of using harsh chemicals.

Bah, loosely used albino. He wasn't actually white, mostly a bright yellow that faded to white around his legs, behind and face. Only 2 years old. German shepherds have several genetic oddities due to the overbreeding, but apparently when 2 albinos mate, offspring are offwhite/bright yellow. He also had a missing toe, which my vet explained is common with "albino" German shepherds.

He is doing fantastic, although I don't get updates anymore. He went to a home with a big family. The father has a history of training dogs, and also walks him frequently.

I pray for a swift and successful recovery :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I don't pray,but I DO believe in the power of positive thought.
    ...and Coco is definitely in my thoughts...besides...he's made it this far and bounced back from so much already...tough little guy isn't gonna let a little thing like this stop him,right? :)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Auron,

Was he a rescue?
    Yes, we rescued him from two houses of horror.
    I wanted to kill when I heard Coco was thrown against a wall..he weighed 4lbs at the time.
    Also, because he pooped on the floor, he was kicked. Coco managed to jump on a twin bed. He was so frightened, he pooped all over the bed..That's when he really got it.
    There's so many other things that went on in his puppy life.

Coco was going back and forth between two homes..divorced couple.
    The mother-in-law hates pets, so she'd lock Coco in a dark closet until the kids got home from school, and went to bed.
    Then Coco would go back to house 1 where he was physically abused.
    We adopted him Christmas Day, 2007.

I really didn't want a second dog.
    At the time we had Sam, a 172lb English Mastiff, 4 birds, Iguana, lazy son, :) and lazy dh..although dh works.
    The iguana is son's...
    After I heard what Coco had been through I decided to adopt him.

Coco is/was the best Christmas presesnt ever.

Coco has a great personality, except when it comes to getting a hair cut. lol. He loves cuddling, 'while holding Baby/Garfield.'

The vet and heartworm pamphlet didn't mention stages 1, 2,3 and 4 with letters afterwards. When she said, he's 2A, I was surprised.
    Auron, so much was going on, a zillion questions, I didn't think to ask what A meant.

After he finishes his antibiotics, he'll get his first shot. 'Arsenic.' Immiticide.
    You'd think they'd come out with something safer than f'ing poison.

Auron, what breed is Rosie. Not that breed/s matters. I'm just curious because you said people think she's a puppy. :)

Rosie sounds happy, too. Have a picture?

Also, 8-yrs is still young, unless a canine is large/xtra-large breed like Mastiff, Rott, St. Bernard, etc.
    Remember they used to base a dog's age by multiplying 7 years times the age of dog? So, an 8 yr old dog was 56-yrs in human.
    Those numbers now changed. Age of a dog in human years now depends on breed. The larger breed, the higher human number years.
    Hope you know what I'm talking about, Auron..I've been pretty upset..Since Fri, I've had about 7 hours sleep, so I'm out of it. lol

Did you get Rosie as a pup?

Auron, don't know if you've read any of my threads on House Plants, but I too am anti-chemicals.
    Because of birds, very few chemicals are used for cleaning, etc. I use vinegar to clean, well, actually multiple purposes.

Do you see them spray? That's horrible. But, I've heard they spray at night, especially when mosquitoe population is high. I couldn't stand it.
    When our neighbors treat their lawns, I have problems breathing.
    To think, years ago, farmers grew veggies/fruits w/o harsh chemicals.

Is Bah the GS's name?

Aw, poor guy.
    You know, albino cats and birds have more problems than colored pets. I wasn't aware albino dogs did too.

99% white cats are deaf. We had a white cat..didn't realize he was deaf almost 2 months after adoption.

White/albino birds are born with many health problems, again, including deafness, low immune system, and often, weak.
    Our bird, 'Mystic's daughter,' Moonbeam, was albino. She was partially deaf, blind, and never learned to fly.
    I took her to an avian vet when she was a wee-baby.
    They suggested euthanizing. Since she wasn't in physical pain, I decided against it. The vet said he doubt she'd make 5-months. Well, surprise, surprise..she live over 7 years. I'd have to go through an old diary to find the day, Mystic's wife, Sugar laid eggs...to find Moonbeam's birthdate.

Oh, I know what you mean about German Shephards, despite color.
    It sickens me, some breeders, inbreed and over-breed.
    There a good number of these breeders in Chicago. Some were discovered and closed down. But, they end up changing name of store, move to a different location or sell from their appartments.

Did his missing toe effect walking? That's so sad. God, I feel like crying, just hearing about the poor guy.
    I guess like most other disabilities, dogs/cats/birds, etc adapt..live normal lives.

I am happy hearing GS is doing well, and amongst good people. Especially since his newer dad knows training procedures. That's fantastic!

I love a happy ending.... :)

Thanks for your prayers, Auron. I honestly appreciate it.

Hi Asleep,

Thanks for your Positive Thoughts..

I hope you're right. Coco is a little fighter, tough for his size.
    He's funny though.
    Sam was huge. Coco learned from Sam, including going potty outside.
    Although Sam was big, he was very gentle. Coco would try to outdue Sam. lol. Coco had to prove he wasn't afraid by a bully,, which SAm wasn't. But, Coco didn't realize in the beginning.
    Coco loved SAm..don't think Sam was very impressed by his new brother though. lol.

Thanks for your positive thoughts.

Sorry for ranting. I can't get this off my mind.
    DH LOVES Coco, but I think he's getting a little tired of hearing me talking about Coco 24/7. lol.

Thank you both for listening. hugs, Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Toni, how's Coco doing?

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Toni,
    I think you did the right thing in treating Coco. He's still young. It might not be easy keeping him quiet, but I bet he recovers nicely.

Did your vet ever recommend heartworm pills, like Heartgard?

You and Coco will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple and Elkay,

First, thanks for asking.

The last 1.5-yrs has not been a good year for our pets.

May 2012, we had to put Sam down. He was 12.5-yrs-old.
    About 5-yrs longer than most Mastiffs live.

The beginning of 2013, I lost Mystic. My 17-yr-old Cockatiel.
    A month later, his daughter, 'albino Cockatiel,' Moonbeam died. She was born with problem..never flew, blind in one eye.
    The avian vet said it was best she was euthanized..he said she wouldn't make it a year.
    She died around 8-yrs. Moon wasn't in pain, loved eating, and playing with her brother Sparkle.

Sunday, Sept 1st, I wasn't feeling well so decided to take a nap.
    I woke 2-hours later.
    When I came downstairs, dh blurts out, 'where do you want your bird buried?'
    I was devestated. I asked, 'what bird? What are you talkin about?'
    It turned out, Cricket, our female cockatiel flew in the window pane, broke her neck and died.
    I was so pissed at him for being so damn glib. I walked to the stairs, and there she lay.
    I buried her Monday.

Now about Coco.
    He's been okay..Don't know if it's the cold, but he's not his usual playful self.
    Usually, when dh goes to work, Coco and I walk to the front door. I lift him, and we watch dh walk to his car, and drive away.
    This morning, Coco slept in his little bed. He's been inside all day. I pray it's the cold weather. When I woke i was 53 outside. Our windows are opened, so it was pretty chilly.

Then the vet phoned. I KNEW this was going to happen.
    They can't get hold of the medication/poison, that rids heartworm.
    The doc said they ordered from two warehouses..hopefully it should be in next week.
    So, we're back to square one.

Elkay, after both injections, Coco has to be on Heart Guard the whole of next year even though there aren't mosquitoes in winter.

Most vets do not recommended dogs and cats to take Heart Guard, etc, when they have heartworm and/or getting treatment.

After both shots are given, Coco will start taking Heart Guard.

I'm so worried about Coco, and now that Cricket is gone...well, I just can't believe it!
    None of my birds are/were young, especially Mystic. But, to die so close together is unbelievable.

Mystic is Moonbeam and Sparkle's father. We've had both from eggs.
    Sparkle is alone now. He keeps whistling, trying to reach Cricket.

I searched online, found a few sites where people treat their pets with heartworm, homeopathically.

One food that is supposed to kill heartworms is black walnut. I don't know if homeopathics are reliable, or can backfire. But, if the medicine isn't available soon, I don't know which option to take.
    I feel I'm not doing enough as it is. You know?

To top that off, I feel I'm being punished.
    Having pets around most of my adult life..now they're gone.

This morning I woke after a dream. Cricket and another bird were looking at me.
    In the dream I said, 'Cricket, they're you are. You're fine.'

I woke startled, realized it was a dream.
    Wonder what it means...???

Anyway, thanks for your prayers and kind comments.

Hugs, Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I've had that dream Toni...only it's usually with people I've lost.
    I know that sadness upon the realization that it was only a dream all too well and totally sympathize.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Good vibes for Coco. :)

10 years ago

Awww, so sorry about Chiclet! May she rest in peace. My best wishes for Coco too!!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep, what do you think the dream means?

I believe in two types of dreams.
    The first are typical dreams..something one is thinking about, consciously or subconsciously.
    The second type is precognitive.

Out of all my birds, Mystic and I were the closest. Yet, no dreams.
    I thought I'd have nightmares when Mystic went to heaven.

Purple, her name was Cricket. :)
    The woman who gave me Cricket said she sounded like a cricket when she whistled. I kept the name.
    Though, honestly, Cricket didn't sound like a cricket to me. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

My guess would be that it's the 1st type Toni. People experience this type of dream often after losing someone I suspect. It's like your subconscious is rationalizing the loss...that would be my assumption anyway.

Precognitive dreams sound scary...glad I don't have any of those! LOL

By the way I think "chiclet" sounds like a great name! ...I remember you saying "no more eggs" in a different thread but in light of recent events,might you consider getting a new "chiclet"? =)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whichever dream, it was weird.

Asleep, I've been having precognitive dreams for years. I write dreams in a dream journal.
    But, I'm on certain medications, so it's rare to remember dreams.
    Yes, precognitive dreams are scary..especially when they involve loved ones.

Asleep, her name was Cricket, lol, although Chicklet would be cute too.
    Perhaps, a different bird type..like a Jendey Conure.

Actually, Sparkle and Cricket laid a dozen plus eggs, but I'm certain they're infertile.

Years ago, when I bred 'tiels, they had a nest and everything needed before and after baby birds hatched.
    Since Sparkle and Cricket have been around for years, never laid eggs before, I didn't think they'd 'get together' now. :)

When Mystic and his wife/ives, 'he outlived 3' laid eggs, I helped out. Well, once the eggs cracked. :)
    I hand-fed, trained, made sure they were old enough before adopting out.

No more birds. I feel terrible Sparkle is alone, but I've had solo birds years ago...
    Sunshine was my little girl. We took her everywhere, including Springfield. lol
    She slept in a cage upstairs at night, then spent the day down here with me.
    I felt awful when I worked though. She had to stay locked up until I got home.

Anyway no more pets..when something happens, there's too much heartache. Way too much.

My main concern, is the medication comes in, and Coco adapts to it, once he gets the shots.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the vet phoned. Coco will get his first injection, Thurs, 9/12/13.

I bring him to the vet in the morning, and he stays there all day. I guess for observation.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Well wishes for Coco...and you too Toni...I know this is killing you.

Hugs

10 years ago

Me too! (Sorry about Chiclet Cricket! Oops, sorry!)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asleep, thank you...Yes, my stomach has been doing flip-flops for weeks.

Purple, thank you, too..re: Cricket. Toni

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coco is at the vet.

The doctor is operating another pet now...after she finishes, Coco will get his first Immidicide injection.

If everything goes well, I get to pick him up between 5-6 p.m.

The nurse said she'd phone if anything went wrong.
    I was going to go grocery shopping, but I need to be home in case they call.
    She said they'd need to talk to me if his breathing stops and he has to get put on a breathing machine. I have to agree orally.

In the meantime, I'm sitting, waiting to hear how things are going.

Thanks for listening..hugs, Toni

10 years ago

Sending good vibes!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purp, thank you. I really appreciate your good vibes.

The vets office just phoned.

Coco got the shot..she said he's fine. Thank God!!!!
    I pick him up at 5pm. Hopefully, they give me literature about after care.

Hugs, Toni

10 years ago

Thanks for the update, so far, so good!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

So happy to hear it Toni!!! WOO HOOOO!! :)

Knew the little guy didn't come this far to go out like that.
    Been busy all day playing with a package that Purp sent(OMG Purp,you rock!!).

This news is just icing on the cake!

What a great day!! :)

Thanks so much for the news!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Purple, yep, so far so good.. When I picked Coco up, he was lathargic, but is feeling better today.

He's gets two more treatments, 30 days, 'well 29 days now,' and the day after. So 29 and 30 days.

I can't wait until this whole procedure is over...It's stressful for everyone.

Asleep..

WOO HOOO is right! Now, two more to go.

So, poor Coco will not be able to go to the woods for his walks..
    When he has to do his duty or wee-wee, I have to take him in the yard on a LEASH.
    Thing is, Coco does do his duty in the yard...wee-wee yes, not not poo-poo. :)
    He had to go out last night..there I am w/Coco on a leash..he's looking at me like, what the ?????

BTW, he didn't go either..brother.

So, Purp sent you some goodies..what did you get??? Sounds wonderful...

I love getting packages...but not for a while.

I was planning on repotting citrus trees today...last temp check was 53F degrees. Might as well be 30.

Anyway, thanks to you both..hugs,, Toni

10 years ago

Wow, it's 30 degrees warmer here, with 10 more to go by 3 PM! Wish I could send you a box of HEAT, girl. Hope you'n'Coco have a great day!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purp, supposed to reach a high of 72..I HOPE they're wrong and temps reach 90.

When I woke, I turned on the oven...that was 7am..it's now 10:30 and it's still on.

I'm dressed like an Eskimo. lol. Two shirts, pants, knee socks, slipper boots, and a robe. lolol.

Don't send a box of heat, send a fridge-size carton.

Here's the last pic we took of Coco....

It was a beautiful, 'hot,' sunny day. Michael even brought Iggy out.

Coco

{{gwi:64622}}

Coco's little tongue is sticking out..it's so cute when he does that..looks like a stuffed animal. :)

And here's Iggy, Mike's iguana sitting in Smoke Tree

{{gwi:64624}}

Also, the last of my birds. Can't believe my winged angels are now in heaven.

{{gwi:64625}}

I guess, going to heaven is part of life, but it doesn't mean we must like the idea.

I feel sorry for Sparkle. When he was born, we had four adult birds, plus his siblings.
    Among 4 'tiels, there were approximately 12 chicks.

Mystic, 'Sprakle's dad,' passed away last Dec..sorry, I wrote the wrong dates earlier.
    Then Sparkle's sister, Moonbeam passed 2 months later.
    And you know what happened to Cricket.

I hope everyone's pets are well and happy...hugs Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

She says "Don't watch...this isn't going to be pretty!". :)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh oh, who's in trouble? lol

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz