Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootswisc

What's everyone up to

tootswisc
15 years ago

Seeing Larry's posts made me want to ask this question over here. Hasn't this summer gone by fast.

I spent the day repotting plants then weeding my garden in between watching the olympics and talking on the phone and lurking around GW-a perfect way to spend the day.

We will be having a harvest dinner-pork roast on the grill with roasted multicolored beets and maybe carrots. (How do you roast beets I asked DH?) We will also be having green and yellow beans and something with fresh tomatoes. I am addicted to garden produce.

Enjoy! Diane

Comments (4)

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Diane,

Funny you should start this thread. I have been thinking about you all weekend because of you and your pond. The birds of prey rescue in my hometown sponsored a water feature tour. There were 25 homes in the North Denver metropolitan area that had water features constructed by a small water feature building company. These 25 homes were gracious enough to let people come and see their water features this weekend. The proceeds went to the birds of prey rescue. They sold tickets for $15.00 a piece.

Anyway, we had a blast! 25 places in two days is pretty good and we didn't even come close to seeing them all. We saw six of them yesterday and six more today. There were from good size ponds to pondless waterfalls. Ponds with waterfalls. And one place had a 50 foot stream that emptied into a good size pond. All of them constructed. Now I want something in my backyard although I'm not sure how I'm going to afford it. lol I'm really interested in something like a small stream section that empties into nothing. That is, a pondless water feature. I may have the company come out and give me an estimate. If it's too much then so much for the dream.

Otherwise we will be taking it easy this evening. Maybe we will watch some of the Olympics. Not sure what we're going to have to eat for supper, but it will be easy after working hard sightseeing all day. It was warm and a little humid both days so it was somewhat tiring. But fun tiring.

I have been doing better on taking care of my African violets and gesneriads. They have rewarded my hard work with lots of wonderful blooms. We were fortunate enough to have the national convention of The Gesneriad Society in Denver this 4th of July weekend. I saw a sinningia at the convention that I just had to have, so I bought one, even though I told myself that I wouldn't buy any more plants for while. lol

The summer has been very hot. Unusually hot. Until a few days ago it had not rained since the last week in May. We broke the record for continuous days above 90° F. The old record was 18 straight days. We had 24 straight days before the mercury went below 90. That doesn't mean we only had 90°days. It seemed like it was always above of 95°and several days were over 100°. The highest was 103°. That's too hot of for out here! Anyway, we've had a break in the weather and it has been nice. We even had a good bit of rain the other day which will help my water bill tremendously.

Otherwise that's about it.

Larry

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi,

Well we had the water feature builders come out to the house to give us an estimate on a very modest water feature. We had no idea what to expect, but $4500 for their lowest priced feature was way more than we were willing to pay. Way more. But it got us to thinking about what we could do. I guess they have these liners for whiskey barrels for making mini ponds. We figured we could get a miniature, hardy water lily to put in there, some ribbon grass and some miniature cat tails. We could also put a couple of feeder goldfish in there. With materials and plants I doubt that it would be much more than $100. That's a little more hour speed.

Well I did something naughty last night. I bought an African violet on eBay even though I promised I wouldn't buy any more plants for a while. My wife said that my punishment would be to eat ham and split pea soup with her for supper. I'm not going to tell her that I actually like ham and split pea soup, but don't anybody tell her. I figure I got off easy this time. lol

It looks like the heat spell has broken. It is raining today and they expect a high of no more than 60°. This will break a record if the temperature only gets up to 60°. The record low high for this state is 68°. Anyway it's a nice break for sure. And I won't have to water the lawn for several days now.

Larry

• tootswisc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like ham and split pea soup also.

I think of you when I am ponding Larry. I plan to get in my pond tomorrow and do some fall clean up.

Happy day after a full moon

• vera
    15 years ago

Hello everybody! I just posted kinda an update on the other post here...."Where is everyone".

Will try to stoop by more often here, it's nice to see familiar faces and names!

Hugs
    Vera