Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Welcome

larry_b
15 years ago

Welcome to all of you who would like to get to know the other dimensions of people who have interests in houseplants. This place is a place to talk about off-topic subjects. A few years ago this place was really hopping. It was very interesting to find out that diverse interests of those who love houseplants so much. Again, this place is wide open. Talk about anything you want, but keep it clean. This place is suppose to be fun.

Also, the old adage about politics and religion, it is really best if those subjects are left out. The discussions can get really heated and usually all that happens is that somebody feels bad and never comes back again. I've seen it happen over and over. So if you want to talk about religion and politics there is a place called Hot Topics where you can discuss those and get yourself beat up or beat up on someone else to your heart's content.

I hope to see you all postings soon!

Larry

Comments (2)

• jon_d
    15 years ago

Hi Larry, I was just wandering around for a minute and remembered this forum. I haven't been following any plant forums for a while. But, lately I have spent a little time at a few. I like the garden forums cactus and succulent forum, which is very active and has a lot of photos. I see Ooojen there. I also see some of the cactus and succulent people at local shows.

Speaking of which, it was really great to meet you in person last month at the Gesneriad Society Convention show. I wish I had more time to talk with you. I have been going to their annual convention every year for quite a few years. There are so many activities and people to see that I am busy from the minute I arrive until I leave. I also got to see and spend a little time with Irina. This year I brought plants to sell, which helped pay for my trip, plus, I was able to drive from California to Denver. The gesneriad convention sale is a big part of the convention, and many people look forward to it every year. This year the room was packed with plants on opening night of the sale, and most everything was sold by the last day, two days later. I found Denver very interesting. I enjoyed driving home through Colorado and the Rockies.

The last few years I have been increasingly busy with work and activities. I don't have as much time for going on line. Now, gulp, it looks like I am going to be even busier. I've decided to quit as an self employed landscape designer and take on a full time job with benefits. I think I have found one. Ironically the job would begin the day after the local Gesneriad Society Show and Sale in early Sept. I don't know how I will find time for my gigantic plant collection though. I will have to cut back somehow. Egad. Plus the hours will take some getting use to--7AM start time....

Jon

• larry_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jon,

I enjoyed meeting you too after all of these years. It's always nice to put a face to a name. I wasn't able to attend much of the convention unfortunately. At the same time there was an extended family reunion that we had to attend. I thought I might be able to get away a few times but it just didn't turn out that way. There was some family dynamics and politics involved and the times that I wanted to go to some of the lectures turned out to be bad times to leave the reunion. It's really unfortunate because I was really looking forward to enjoying the experience of a gesneriad convention. But family comes first and it was important for me to be with the family.

I did get to see the displays though. It was wonderful! It so nice to see plants grown to their utmost. I didn't get to the sale room until the last day and things were pretty well picked over by then. But I did wind up getting a treasure because of going to the convention. Dale Martins had a plant called sinningia Ozark Fireworks. It was wonderful looking and the blooms were fantastic! I had met the hybridizer, David Harris, at the AVSA convention last year and I thought that maybe I could find his website. I did and was able to call him up and order an Ozark Fireworks. I think I got the last one because I went to his website a day later and Ozark Fireworks was no longer offered. Whew!

7:30 AM sounds brutal! Working for somebody after having been able to set once hours will probably be very different for you. I hope it turns out positive for you.

I'm very glad you liked Colorado. I've lived too since 1984 and have never had any regrets moving here. Besides if I hadn't I would have never met my wife, which is the best thing that ever happened to me. The climate is dry and the mountains are fantastic! The only thing we're missing is an ocean.

Larry

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!