o
Another hobby

Posted by tootswisc z4/5Wi (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 16:01

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another hobby

I could tell you about my pond. This is at my retirement home. It's absolutely wonderful to create a little space like this where you work. I go out and feed the fish anytime I want to be appreciated. My fish just love me. It's really a peaceful spot with a lovely sound from the waterfall. Some of those plants will become houseplants this winter.

o

Hiya Toots,

What lovely setting, must be calm & soothing to come out during a break in yr, day, feed them fishies, maybe sit for a few minutes w/ a book. Makes me wanna come on by & sit for a bit. Thanks for posting it.

o

I would just love to have ya come and visit. I thought my old folks would be gathered around the pond much more then they do. The pond is actually one of the best marketing things I have done for families of prospective residents-not it's original intent. Bringing peaceful times to me is also very good for the business. I do wish it were in my backyard though. I could be in bed right now listening to rushing water outside my window instead of trying to make myself tired by lurking and chatting here. I notice your up kindof late too pirate girl!

o

Your pond is absolutely gorgeous! The plantings, the rocks, the fish-- all wonderful! Did you design and build it yourself? Did you have to special order a liner that size? What kind of filtration system do you have, and how much maintenance does it take?
I have a small stagnant pond -- not stagnant in the bad sense; there are enough plants and things that the water stays decent. I've also had a larger pond dug for quite a while, but haven't gotten it put in. This was going to be the year, but I found that the liner had gotten damaged somehow (during our remodeling, I suppose). I'd purchased it on DEEP sale in the fall & didn't want to fork over several hundred for a full-price new one. Maybe I can find an on-sale replacement soon, and put it in next spring.

o

This pond was first built as a school landscaping project in 99. Then it was rebuilt as part of our last expansion in 2002. Fortunately for me, it was a construction cost. The waterfall is an aquascape product. If you go on the pond forum there is lots of bad discussions about this system but it has worked well for me. I have clear water and lot's of goldfish. The pond would not be good for Koi but I would never have Koi because my glodfish stay in the pond over the winter and sometimes become a popsickle treat for the birds.

It's become another way to spend lanscaping dollars but I think I will not have to buy alot of plants as the ones I have are doing great. It's 3 feet deep and I think over 5000 gallons of water. This year it has been an easy keeper but other years it has been problematic-like the skimmer was pushed into the pond during a big big rain fall.

I bought 50 feeder fish for under $5 the first time and had tons of fish that did not make it thru the winter. The next year I bought 25 feeder fish and and again I ended up with tons of fish. I think I had about 25 fish this spring that survived the winter. I put some bluegills in there this sping to eat babies. I think I have about 15 fish that are getting bigger than my hand.

It's a great hobby!

o

Oh Diane,

I LOVE THAT POND!!! I would give anything to have a pond like that in my backyard! I have a 20 ft by 40 ft back yard and wouldn't mind having half of it in pond if I could. Alas, with my disabilities, I could never construct or maintain a pond like that. So I will have to live vicariously through you and your pond. Thank you so much for showing it off!

Larry

o

And it's a business expense! I thought of you today Larry as I was trying to find rare hoya's-or any uncommon houseplant in my fav. garden place. There was a varigated violet and some really cute streptosomethings-please forgive my inability to remember proper nomenclature(is that how you spell that?)I almost picked up a couple things but then went to wally world and bought 6 cacti for a buck a piece.

Back to my pond.....In my favorite greenhouse there there is a pond that is filled with koi and big goldfish. Are those fish beggers. They swim around you with their mouths open. My gold fish do that too. I just love them and now I worry about winter and how sad I will feel if they become popsickle fish. Ponds are alot of care but it is very rewarding and the pond forum is almost as interesting as the tomato forum was for me last year.

But my heart remains with this place-even if there are not as many old faces as before. The conversation side is pretty slow-I better shut up or the whole page will be filled with tootswisc posts!

o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I posted this in the cactus forum also. I was lurking there and someone advised me of this incredible sale at walmart. How can they sell plants for so cheap. They had hundreds of cacti for $1 and $2 a pot. I spent $7 on these little goodies. I hope I can keep them alive.

o

Hi Diane,

Streptosomething is pretty close. lol It's streptocarpus. I agree with you that the conversation side of the houseplant forum is pretty dead. This place used to really hop. Many of the old regulars are gone now with the ownership change. Although I support my friends and understand their reasons for leaving it does leave me a little sad. This place was a very important part of my social life. I really miss the activity and I haven't found a place that is comparable to what this place used to be. Oh well, life changes. Who said that the only thing definite is change?

Larry

o

Isn't nice that we can still talk! This is the place that my computer opens to so I check it out a couple of times a day-before work with my coffee, after work usually with a beer and right before I go to bed. So I guess I have confessed my addiction to coffee beer and the garden web. Am I a lost cause or what. I usually check out both sides of this forum, the pond forum, sometimes the cactus forum, hoya's, begonias,tomatoes, organic gardening, shrubs, wisconsin, perenial and then I check in @ the garden forums. and usually after that I play a game of freecell. Is this too much information about me.

BTW Larry, I hope all is going well at your house and that everyone there is healthy!

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 10:52

Nice basket you've got going there, Toots! That sedum is going to take off like nobody's business, though - watch out! :)

o

Hi Diane,

I don't know how I missed your response. It is nice that we can still talk. No you didn't give away too much information. A beer sounds really good! I just went and got myself one. lol

My wife just got done with radiation. She got pretty burnt though. It has taken a while for her to heal unfortunately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here