Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbryce2010

My China Doll plant needs help!

cbryce2010
9 years ago

I received this plant almost 2 years ago when my dad passed away. It used to be full and thick. Up until a couple months ago, I wasn't sure what kind of plant it was. After researching I learned it was a China Doll and learned how to care for it. I have never kept a plant alive more than a few months. This plant was very close to not making it when I found out how to care for it. There used to be many woody stems and was full of leaves. At its worst I was pulling the woody stems right out of the soil. Since I have started watering it alittle more and starting keeping it in my south facing window. Now leaves are coming back but it's all on top. The lone stem is bare and I'm starting to wonder if it will hold the weight of its top. I have been pruning back the growth to help with the weight. My questions are, will this stem thicken enough to hold the weight of the plant? Once early summer comes(around Father's Day) , will it be safe to cut the stem off at a few inches? Should I also transfer to smaller pot? I read it likes to be root bound.
I would love any tips and education that anyone has to offer. Being a plant I received for my dad's funeral, he had a very green thumb and loved gardening and his plants, I connect this plant to him and don't want to fail. I even talk to it.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012