o
Teresa and Celeste?

Posted by Tisha_ z7 OK (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 9:32

Has anyone heard from Teresa lately?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teresa and Celeste?

Not lately, no. She had a post in Discussions a couple weeks ago, but that's the last I've heard.
Quite a few former regulars have wandered away. We haven't heard from Vera for a while, either.

o

Has anyone heard from Nan?

o

Theresa is oK last time I talked to her about 2? weeks ago.

o

27 WEEKS?!

Hmmmm

Is she replying to emails? I've also been wondering how she's doing. :\

o
RE: Theresa and Celeste?

No-- 2 weeks! I think it was slightly less than that. She replies to emails, just when she has time :) She and I have been emailing since I got back in August.

o

What about baby Moo. I am terrible with names. Moo sh??? I have not seen her posts either and hope all is well with her.

o

Julianna--OOPS I wasn't wearing my glasses last night hahhaha

o

• Posted by Cena S CA 10A (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 21:16

I had emailed T a few weeks ago, because I had not heard, also. She emailed back, not a lot of details, so I suspect that Celeste, Kevin, and Theresa are doing well. She had gone back to school, I did not hear of any new fosters. Perhaps, if we keep whispering about her, she will come back and talk.

Vera is having a time of it, since one of hers has gone to college, and one is close to going off to college. I think she is relishing every second left, and making them (the seconds) count in a big way! The last time I heard from her, she was doing well, although worried about her children. Looking to me for how I coped with my son going away... So, I didn't provide a lot of insight, and hope she is doing well, also.

Meesh is now posting under Kaleanna (sp).

o
RE: Theresa and Celeste?

Kat-- that's quite alright! lol! I am assuming she has been doing relatively OK although we have been mostly talking about wedding stuff.

It was Mooshoo and baby Moo.

o

Hello everyone!

Thank you for thinking of me and wondering how we have been!
I am sorry to disapoint you, but nothing terribly exciting has been going on. We did have a bad experience with foster care, esentially being lied to by the workers, but thankfully it worked out ok. I can provide details if anyone is interested!

Because of the above mentioned experience, we have decided to go the private adoption route. So, now I am looking for a job for the next year so I can save money! I am excited, but also nervous. I guess it goes with the territory.

Celeste is in school full days now, and I miss her! She loves it though, so its ok. She goes to physical therapy on wed afternoons, and has a music class on tuesdays. I guess we have been keeping busy with the day to day stuff. We also got approved for an assistant dog for her! that was time consuming, applications, personal intervies 6 hours away, etc. But, the dog will be incredible! It is a 2-3 year wait, so its not something that we are looking forward to in our immediate future.

On a more trivial note, I am trying to convince dh to let me get a cockatiel. I want a bird, he would rather set the house on fire! LOL!

Last but not least, plant news! My christmas cactus is beautiful! all have one or two buds and flowers, but one in particular is just amazing. Its covered completely in blooms. Makes me smile every time I walk by! And, one of my hoyas has been in bloom since mid october. It smells great, especially at night! I also ordered a bunch of plants for myself for my birthday present from robs violets. I was very happy with them, and in fact, alot of them (especially the minis) are in bloom!

Thanks again for thinking of me,
Theresa

o

Hi Theresa-glad all is well with you and Celeste and your plants. Congrats on the assistant dog-what a great addition to your family!

Is Mooshoo Meesh/Kaleana? If so, I hope all is well with her.

o

Teresa, I'm glad all is well.

Toots- Mooshoo and Meesh/Kaleana are different people. I think Mooshoo was getting ready for a long distance move to AZ. If I have the right person she is probably busy finding a home, getting settled and looking for a job. If I remember correct those were some top priorties she needed to attend to.

Foxy.

o

Ming moved; Moo Shoo had a baby. Hard to keep up, huh?
I'm glad all's well with you, too Theresa!

o

Wed, Nov 16, 05 at 15:03

Hah! Theresa, how funny is that. My mom is totally stricken with Bird Fever, and has oodles and gobs. I was smitten by the Love Birds, until I spent a night and a day in the same room with them. AND one or both of them kept getting out of their cage at different times. So, I'm not nearly so interested in Love Birds anymore... but I did bring home four hens.

My mom has lots of chickens, and well, all of the 100 or so have names. They are barnies, that mixed from straight breed runs. She has some new Millfloures and Seabrights that are banty and possitively gorgeous. She really wanted to send some of those with me, but she would like to have more, so I will need to get my own or figure something else out. The only reason I can get by with chickens IN the city is because I have proven hens, and NO roosters. They can get noisy, but for the most part, the next door neighbors sets (multiple sets) of Love birds are way more noisy than my hens.

So, before you convince your self you desperately NEED(want) a bird, hang out in pet stores listening and handling a few, do some research, and always remember they are called FLOCKS of birds because they do better in groups. Only one may not be a healthy option.

(DH hasn't set the house on fire yet, but he sure has been grumping and harrumphing since I've been home!!!)

Jen, these are finishing a moult, so I hadn't even thought of that interferring with egg production. One is just as fluffy as can be, and an older hen... I don't think they like the accomdations, and the nest boxes are not secure. They are in a 4 x 2 guinea pen cage without the bottom on, free standing food and water. Lay a brick on top for predators and move when the 'chicken tractor' has over worked the current area. Have to figure the details out as we go as I have a backyard hawk of sometype AND foxes. Not to mention the rotten kitty.

o

I've got a mobile pen that I generally use for hens & just-hatched chicks to keep the little ones from wandering off. They can be so stupid...but I shouldn't expect much. They are chickens, after all. -- Anyway, I made the pen pretty simply from five 8' 2x4's. I left two long, and cut one in half to make a 4'x8' base. I cut two more in halves, and used them for uprights in the corners, but one 2x cut into 4 pices would be enough. I wrapped it with stiff hardware cloth, and it didn't even need support around the top edges. I covered it with netting like they sell to protect your fruit trees/bushes for birds. (It's useless for protecting fruit-- if there's the tiniest opening, birds WILL find their way in. Then, instead of protected bushes, you're left with an aviary full of birds smart enough to find their way in, but too stupid to find their way back out.) I used nylon string to make a simple overcast stitch & attach the netting to the hardware cloth. Hawks can hit it, but they can't get through. (Frustrating for the poor buggers!) The pen's not 'coon proof, but not much is if the 'coons are determined. Given enough time, they'll dig, too.
My chickens are mixed breed also, with about half or better bantam breeds thrown in, and some Araucana so I get green and pink eggs along with the standard browns and whites. Mille Fleurs can be SO pretty! I don't have them, but I understand they're good-natured, too. I had a Seabright freebie from Murray McMurray one year, but she didn't last long- 'coons again.
Our rotten kitties are used to chickens and don't bother them (Quail chicks were another thing entirely!) I hope yours get tired of the fruitless hunt eventually.
Did you feed your DH some of those fresh eggs? That might make for fewer harrumphs for a little while, anyway.

Yeah, Lovebirds are LOUD, and they're early risers (like 4AM in the summer). Theresa, I'd think twice before I brought one into a household with someone who wasn't crazy about the idea to begin with. I like my quiet little Bourke's parrots! I used to have a Pacific Parrotlette, who could be loud, but wasn't often...as long as he was getting what he wanted. That ususally involved spending the day riding on my shoulder. Cute and very bonded little stinker (died of pneumonia after a winter power outage left him chilled.) I hope to get another when the kids are both grown.

o

Thu, Nov 17, 05 at 1:37

That sounds like a good pen, Jen! We are working on something very much like that, except I am hinging a hatch at one end, and two nest boxes pop out on each side at the other end, with hinged lids. That way, I should have access to clean along the length of the 8 foot pen, if needed. I think the boxes will reassure the hens, and not be so exciting. They have tipped over all the nest baskets I've provided, proving they are NOT to be trusted.

Love Birds are shrill, loud, and pretty opinionated! I got to where I was covering Mom's by about 9pm. The male would still SHRIEK up until lights out, and start in waking up the world at the crack of barest light. One of the biggest reasons I covered them. If he couldn't see the light, it wasn't time to WAKE THE WORLD trumpeting Joy and Loudness. They also had a nestling that had hatched and was just learning to get about. My Mom dumped the box, just so I could see his jubilent maleness.

Another thing, Theresa. Birds BITE. Hard. Mom got gloves to catch the little stinkers, and I was so glad she did. When she caught the flyabout Love Bird, it tried its darndest to make more vent holes in moms hand. I was annoyed at the male and tormenting him, for being loud and obnoxious at 11pm at night. I was tapping the roost stick she had in, one of four or five. He hopped right over and tried to take a chunk out, my fault, but he was happy to participate in this 'get you' game.

Some birds bond well, and find humans to be 'flock' and others always find them to be 'things to be pecked'. I am not a 'bird person', trying hard not to be... But the bonded pairs of doves, even the huge jewel colored ones make me drool, coo, and generally loose my good sense. They sound soooo peaceful, also. Mom wanted to send home a couple pairs of doves, pidgeons even. But these were first prey for stupid cat. I asked her if she was into providing 'cat food'? She does avail herself to the local vet who specializes in herpetology clients. He has a albino python that rivals the one at the San Diego Zoo. Pythons like live prey, for the most part. Mom has a thriving 'food' side business.

Birds are NOT for everyone. Smaller, livelier, lovelier, songbirds are awesome. Just watching bird politics is pretty special, too. There are already stress dynamics amoungst my four birds of the same size because of cramped quarters. The eldest bird was pariah before she became Top Bird in her little four person kingdom... They are funny critters!

o

Birds are another thing to take care of and feel guilty about when you don't think you are doing the right thing. I thought Kelly House would like birds so I got some plain old parakeets-2 of them for company. Well come to find out if you want the birds to enjoy humans, you should only get one. One of my residentss have the birds and it is just wonderful. Staff complains about the mess and I have to go to the pet store regularly for various items.

o

Hi everyone!

I was going to get a bird, but I got a baby instead! I will give details later.

Theresa

o

• Posted by fishies Ottawa z4a or 5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 18:59

Ha! That's the most wonderful post I've read in AGES!

Theresa, what's the secret to being funny in only one line? I think you've got some kind of magic going on...

Shelly

o

Gee, nobody'd told you that babies are shrill, loud and opinionated. They can be noisy, often early in the morning...and sometimes they even bite. I guess we figured you already know---
Congratulations!

o

I am here, lurking all the time, trying to keep up with all the people I knew for ages.
As Cena already told you, my older baby is in college for her second year. I am used to not having her at home already. My son is a senior at school, so we are in the fun process of collge applications. I can't even think of him being away!!! I am afraid I will go mad not having anybody at home (well, dh doesns't count, LOL).
I kind of stepped away from my plants collection, and sold a very big part of it. I still have a jungle corner in the living room, but is more organised now. Mostly hoyas with a few sans, and 2 big ZZ.
I like switching hobbies, so now I am all in dolls. I discovered a whole new world of "Reborn babies", fell in love with it, made two dolls myself, bought two (MUCH better, LOL), and now I am making and selling dresses and other outfits for those. I guess I am ready for grandchildren, LOL. But my dd is only 19, so I prefer to play with dolls for a few more years.
Here is a photo of my babies and there are an album with some of the outfits I made.
If you think I am crazy- it's ok, LOL. I know it already. And I heard it from a few people, like my Mom.

Here is a link that might be useful: My babies

o
Vera is here

Sorry, I pressed the wrong button.

Theresa, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am sure you are very busy now, but we all want to hear about your baby (gee, my dolls' hobbie sounds so stupid now).
Cena, sorry for the nose - hope it heals fast and painless. Just don't touch it, LOL.
Jen, how's your house doing?

Tisha, thank you for asking about missing people!

o

Hi Everyone!

I was actually going to buy a cockatiel. I had visited with several hand fed babies and found them quite tame and loveable! I was actually in the store, about to put a deposit down on one bird I fell in love with when I got the call for the baby!

So, we have a brand new baby. I do mean brand new, she was 3 days old when we brought her home on thursday. Things look really good for us that we will be able to adopt her. Of course, since it is foster care, nothing is 100%, but she is really not likely to be going back.

We are all really excited and tired. Celeste wasnt so sure about her at first. She is actually smaller than her baby dolls! LOL! She is only just over 5 lbs. But, yesterday I let Celeste hold her for a while and they really bonded and now Celeste really likes the baby.

Its so strange, I still dont feel like its real, it hasnt sunk in yet!

o

Congratulations, Theresa! Enjoy your baby. Hopefully she will be yours forever. I am so happy for you!

o

This is really wonderful-almost like a miracle I would think. I sure hope you have everything you need-we should give you a baby shower...do you need anything? Can you post your needs here or do we need to talk about this thru e-mail?

This must be about the best surprise you have ever gotten. Hope all is going well with your little bundle.

o

OMG! That's so wonderful! What's her name?

o

The dr treating her in the hospital named her Amira (Uh Me Rah). It means princess in Arabic.

Dh really likes the name, so we will probably keep it, especially because it has a story. But, I am still pushing for Isabella, because I really like the name!

What do you guys think?

Can you think of good middle names that would go with either?

o

How about Amira Isabella?

o

Amira Isabella sounds absolutely beautiful!

o

Vera-- Your babies are beautiful! Boy have you put a lot of work into them!! Do you design the outfits yourself? The workmanship is just gorgeous!
The house is moving along slowly, but it is moving in the right direction. Most of what's left is stuff I have to do by myself, and I'm often interrupted to do higher priority work. I'm gradually acquiring a collection of new power tools (wet saw, miter saw, hand sander) and learning a few new skills.

Theresa-- I hope everything works out smoothly and the paperwork goes through at lightening speed! Amira Isabella sounds beautiful to me, too. I hope you'll be able to share some pictures with us.

o

LOL! Now I see why! Amira Isabella is pretty.. although Isabella Amira has a better ring IMO. Altough if you leave it the other way, you can always nickname her "princess isabella" :)

Mine was Ameerah, which i guess is the literal letter translation of the word.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here