Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
webs and sticky substance

Posted by renmart66 usda6 texas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 23:26

i have an indoor atrium in my house and a plant was here when we moved in. i am not sure if it is a lilly or an orchid. my plant has developed a sticky substance that is getting on the windows and my other plants. on close observation i noticed some webs and lately have noticed ants but i thought that may be cause of the sweet stickness. my flowers no longer bloom because any new buds are covered in the sticky substance.
thanks rene'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: webs and sticky substance

Welcome to the house plants conversations forum, Rene`. It sounds like you have a pest problem on your plants. The sticky substance you are refering to is called honeydue. From what I remember it is usually caused by scale. If you inspect your plants for scale you should be looking for little brown bumps on the stems and leaves. The webbing sounds like spider mites. You may want to post your question on the house plants discussions forum. You are more likely to get many more replys there as this is the section where we talk about off topic things like remodeling our homes or our children and pets etc...

Foxy.

Here is a link that might be useful: House plants discussions

o
RE: webs and sticky substance

Hi Renee and welcome.

If not scale, it could be aphids or mealybugs. Both leave a sticky honeydew substance behind. Ants are attracted to the sugary substance. Please inspect your plant more closey, in the leaf joints, along the stems, in any unfurled leaves. If you see white fluffy looking stuff- you have mealybugs. If you see wooly looking bugs(green, black, e.t.c. t hey come in variety of colors) all clumped together, you may have aphids.

I agree with Foxy that the webbing is an indication of spider mites. It sounds like you have a couple different kinds of pest invading your plant. You need to identify them first and then take immediate action to save your plant. They all will kill your plant.

GH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here