Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkay_gw

How about a new pets thread?

elkay_gw
11 years ago

The old one is REALLY old and most of the pics are gone.

Ooh, so one of my favorite subjects - my fuzzy "kids"!

This is Kodi (Kodiak). We adopted him from a shelter when he was 6 wks old. The woman who owned his mother and siblings told the shelter she was going to dump them on the side of the road if they didn't take them. The shelter agreed to take them, but only if the mother was surrendered, also. The woman said, "Fine, I was going to get rid of her anyway because she keeps having pups". Imagine? What an idiot!

{{gwi:65178}}

Kodi is 11 yrs old now.
{{gwi:65179}}

I thought Kodi should have a friend, so I looked on Petfinder and saw Meadow. She was about a year old and had been in 4 homes. While in her second home, she escaped out of the yard where she was being neglected, and was hit by a car, sustaining two broken legs. She was treated and is ok.

{{gwi:65180}}

{{gwi:65181}}

{{gwi:65182}}

Dora was in The Newark, NJ humane Soc and was pulled by someone at the shelter where I volunteer. I felt sorry for her being caged much of the time and thought I would take her home and foster her. At least she would have a yard to run around in. Kodi and Meadow were NOT thrilled. I failed "Fostering 101" and wound up adopting Dora.

{{gwi:65183}}

{{gwi:65184}}

And last, but not least....this is Sky. One day I went into the shelter and saw this gorgeous guy there - I HAD to have him! Supposedly, he was abandoned in a park with a German Shepherd and picked up by the shelter there. A man came in to claim the GSD, but not Sky. He wound up at our shelter because they were overcrowded.

{{gwi:65185}}

{{gwi:65186}}

{{gwi:65187}}

Oh, and this is Patrick. He's a 25 yr old Blue Crowned Conure. I've had him since he was about 6 mos old.
{{gwi:65188}}

{{gwi:65189}}

Comments (13)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Wow, I'd say you are a dog person, no doubt. And what a pretty bird! Is that a kind that can say any people words?

This is our dog. He's like the pet mayor of town and all of the other dogs seem to want to visit him. If not for that, I might think they were just using him for his brawn or something on their nighttime escapades...

Our fence is kind of old and there's a dip under one of the gates from where I used to drive through to park in the shade in the back yard, so several times I've discovered dogs in our yard that aren't ours. At least 2 of our dog's dog buddies know to open gates. On 3 occasions so far, we've woken up to find the gate opened IN, and our dog gone. Luckily he's so distinct looking, somebody's seen where he went and we tracked him down. The last time we found him because of Facebook. As soon as we noticed he was gone, we called the police station to see if he'd been reported and ask them to let us know if he was seen. When the lady who answers these calls went on break, she checked her FB and saw that her friend or neighbor (not clear on that) had posted a pic of a black great Dane that had come home with their dog after running the streets all night. Also never did get clear on why the other dog was loose, but thought it was funny our dog was famous on FB that day. Another time he was found in the company of another dog known for opening CL fence gates. We knew that other dog and his owner from previous encounters of his dog coming to visit ours. We've had to install a 2nd latch to these gates to make sure other dogs don't let ours out again. I've never heard of dogs opening gates until I moved here. Seems to be common knowledge among dogs in this town. Crazy!

I don't know why somebody took a pic in the middle of this mess-in-progress. It doesn't usually look like this.

• elkay_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, these birds can be taught to talk. It's my fault that Patrick only says "Hello" and something that sounds like, "Whatcha doin'?"

I've had cats in the past, too. I adopted "Morgan" (aka Moogie) from a woman who does cat rescue. He had been badly abused. The woman said he was 3 yrs old, but my vet said he was more like 7. He died at 17 of respiratory failure.
    {{gwi:65190}}

One day "Tuxedo" showed up here. I think someone drove up here and dumped him off. I eventually found out he had contracted feline aids right before I got him inside. It did not show up in his initial blood work. He died from it at about 16 yrs old.
    {{gwi:65191}}

And "Tawnee" was discovered hiding under the rowboat stored in the side yard. I think someone moved away and left her.
    She died of mast cell cancer at around 13 yrs old.
    {{gwi:65193}}

I've also always had fish tanks (fresh water) until a few years ago when I decided to take them down.
    {{gwi:65195}}

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Great pics, elkay! I live the one of meadow with the pumpkin. Also Sky looks like he has a lot of personality.

Purple: even if it is a "mess", love the dog relaxing with plants!

I've been waiting for the right pic before posting. I thought this new one of Bogie with the thanksgiving cacti was funny. We adopted Bogie in sept of 2005. He is a great black cat who head bonks as his special trick. He'll eat most plants, but thankfully he doesn't care about TCs.

• larry_b
    11 years ago

Hi all,

Here is a photo of my children:

{{gwi:65198}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey, this is probably not what you were expecting, but neither was I. I saw an juvenile anole lizard in my son's room soon after bringing the plants inside, end of Nov. Windows/doors open many days after that, most days. Assumed it went back out, but I've seen it several more times, the last time just a few days ago. How wild is that? There's water in the bottled cuttings on the windowsills, and I just don't want to know what he/she's been eating. I have put a few wounded moths in the "last seen" pot at various times, but always figure after another round of open windows/doors, I won't be seeing the little thing again. Wish I knew if it was happy in here, or has been terrified the whole time. Every time I see it, it's too cold out at that moment to catch and release in the wild. He/she looks fine... but I worry. We almost smushed him with a book the other evening. I don't know why he was on the floor, but probably catching something moving...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Okay so what I'm about to tell you is a mystery to me!

Several days ago I went outside to visit the beta that i put in a miniature water feature thingy that probably needs a better container but never mind that for now.

He was GONE!

Absolutely vanished without a trace and I've checked in there daily ever since until just a few minutes ago I casually looked again and to my utter amazement,he's BACK!!

Color me bewildered!! ...If not thankful. :)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Elkay..You furry, feathered and finny friends are exceptional.
    Their history is so sad. While reading your post, I felt like crying. Terribly depressing. People can be so damn cruel.
    Thankfully, they now have a happy, secure home with loving parents.

In pic one, Kodi's eyes look blue. Are they?

It's sad hearing shelters are over-crowded. For those who can't afford it, there are places where spaying and neutering is done by how much a person makes. Lower income families, etc.

The woman who dropped Kodi off is a horrible person. Too bad stricter laws aren't made for people like her.
    She and other monsters should not be able to buy/adopt any pet. If they do, the pet should be taken w/o legal BS, and she should be fined. A steep fine. If the fine can't be paid, 'and since jails are crowded,' she should, at the minimum, be ordered to complete several hours of community service.
    If it was up to me, she'd be chained to a pole, given stale bread and dirty water, three times a day.

Your Conure is a beauty. Yes, they're talkers, but need to be talked to daily. Repeated words, then phrases.
    They're tinny voice is so cute.
    Conures playful and acrobatic. Little clowns.
    Do you clip his wings?
    Although he's older, if you clip, then sit down and talk/play with him on a daily basis, he still might talk.
    Birds listen and watch their parents/us. You'd be suprised what they'll repeat. So, watch your language. lol.

Love your blue Betta..Aren't they the best?

Purple...so is the Dane in the picture your dog? I love Danes. Do you know his weight.

Funny story about your gate. lol. You've got some intelligent canines in your neighborhood.
    Don't get upset, they only want to play. :)

Rachel..Another cutie. Bogie sees something out the window he wants to play with..Whatever, he's interested and very curious. :)

Larry. At first glance I thought they were twins..Beautiful colors.
    Think they enjoy having their pictures taken.

Asleep. Pets are enigmas for sure.

Do you have sand or gravel in the tank?

I used to breed Bettas, among other fish.
    They'd dig gravel, like dogs dig garden soil.
    I've seen Betta's digging, but they never hid underneath.
    How long was he gone? Sheesh, I'd have assumed he jumped out of the tank. lol.

My photos are stored on Flickr. Flickr changed format, so I don't know if I can dl pics here.

Wish they'd let sites be.

Toni

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Walter. Our African Grey. I miss him SO much.

{{gwi:65199}}

Chico, miss my colorfuly guy, too.

{{gwi:65200}}

Sam, our English Mastiff is in heaven.

{{gwi:65201}}

Mystic, Cockatiel, passed away Dec 2012..favorite bird..Perfection whistling Jingle Bells and Andy Griffith. He'd give me kisses, and mumbled a few words.

{{gwi:65202}}

Moonbeam, Moon passed away March 2012. She was ill from birth. Never learned to fly.

{{gwi:65203}}

Iggy, sons iguana...age around 5-yrs

{{gwi:65204}}

Sparkle, Cockatiel. Parrots his father, Mystic

{{gwi:65205}}

Cricket...femail 'tiel. She's laying eggs. I do not want anymore chicks. She and Sparkle are married. :)

{{gwi:65206}}

Coco.. our little Shih pu..He was terribly abused as a pup.

{{gwi:65207}}

Hope pics worked. As I said, Flickr changed its format. These are the first pics dl'ed since it's been changed.

Thanks, Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Yep,..an enigma is right. Toni,I regret to say that the bettas were both outside eventually and then both disappeared again this time without a trace.

That was some time ago now.
    For now at least my goldfish seem happy and secure. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

This really is a nice thread,thank you Elkay. :)

Beautiful pets and stories all around!

Here's another wonderful creature for your viewing pleasure...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Another shot...

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Everyone's pets and wildlife is amazing. God created very beautiful creatures. Except for bugs. :)

Yesterday, I was sitting in the back yard, when I noticed something fly by.
    The time was between 6-7 p.m.

Sure enough, it was a hummingbird. A type I'd never seen before.
    The few times hummers visited, think they were Red/Ruby Throats??

The hummer that stopped by was a little larger than Ruby..also he/she had neon, green stripes on either sides of its body. He/she was about 2.5", maybe 3".

The hummer first landed on my red Hibiscus flower, then Murraya, Citrus, then Euphorbia. The same Euphorb last years hummer liked.

I slowly walked in the house to get the camera. Surprisingly, he/she was still fluttering around when I returned outside.
    He/she flew back to the red Hib, when a flock of birds lunged out of the neighbors' bush, like a pack of bulls, scaring hummer away. He/she flew over the house, so I didn't get to snap a picture.

As down as I've been about my own pets, that little gal/guy helped to a degree. What a sight!

Later in the p.m., I plan on sitting in the yard w/camera in hand. Although, like they say, a watched pot never boils, which is probably true, the little hummer may not return.

I should have known better..birds start eating dinner between 4-7p.m., depending on bird type and weather. Earlier when it's going to storm.

Hopefully, he/she will re-visit, and hopefully, I'll get a chance to take a photo. Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Ya got me wondering if it had been a wayward green breasted mango hummer you had seen. The link has a pic of the juvenile as well as the adult,and the youngsters are more prone to wrong turns that wind them up in unexpected places.

I don't know if everyone's gonna see the anole in this pic right away...kinda like a where's waldo type thing only waldo is a "waldette" ...at least I hope "she" is.

Can you find her? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: is this the hummer you saw Toni?