Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Surgery went fine...

Cena
18 years ago

I had 20 teeth pulled yesterday, and my new dentures fitted right away. There were some exciting moments, trying to get used to having foreign stuff in my mouth constantly, the awful taste of the liner, and just a generally fun morning...

So, I'm on a liquid diet for a while. I have to admit the new meal replacement for diabetics, Glucerna, is an awesome product. My sugars have been doing well, also.

My MIL loves me, and brought the most wonderful soup I've eaten in a while. Italian Wedding Soup made with onions, whipping cream, sausage, kale and potatoes. Gosh, it was good, even run through the blender.

Just in case anyone was wondering if I had it, how it went, how I'm doing?

I'm doing great, by the way. My mom didn't recognize me on the phone, and a couple of other friends had to make me repeat some stuff, but I'll get used to this brick in my mouth soon...

Comments (26)

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hi Cena,

Wow, 20 teeth at once. You are a real trooper. I'm glad everything went well. I know you have wanted to do this for quite a while.

Yes, your mother-in-law sounds like a real sweetie. The soup sounds wonderful.

Anyway take care. Take it easy and heal up soon.

Larry

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

Oh good grief, twenty teeth at once?!! I'm having problems too and know "something" needs to be done quickly but had no idea they would do something like that. I'd better get on it. Thanks for posting. And yes, your MIL does sound like a sweetheart. Best of luck. Sandy

• Mentha
    18 years ago

youch, twenty teeth! I bet when you get used to your new teeth, you'll feel better. This week I've been battling a wisdom tooth again, infection got into my ear and caused me to walk dizzy for a couple days.
    Your soup sounds wonderful, btw.

• Cena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rhonda, you gotta watch that stuff. I actually have lost part of my hearing due to that exact situation! So, don't let it linger or reoccur often, if possible.

They left six teeth in, actually. I've had some others pulled because of constant reoccuring infections in the sockets. Not cool. Found out that a significant portion of my bone loss and teeth problems could be a past history of smoking. Another thing the tobacco companies don't share. No one ever said 'Smoking will rot your teeth' that I can remember. But after speaking with the dentist, and the coincidence of the location of most of problems being the teeth most affected by smoking...

Man, the things we do to ourselves! Thanks for all the good thoughts. I just wanted to let everyone know things went fine.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Cena, just be sure that when they do the permanent plate that they get the philtrum right or you'll hate them eventually for what they do to your profile. Oh, and you sounded just fine on the phone today, I think you're going to be surprised at how quickly you do get used to them.

• tootswisc
    18 years ago

Can you eat fudge?

Pulling your teeth during the "eating season" is a bit drastric lol! You poor baby. I hate dental work and oral pain. I hope both those things will no longer be an issue for you very soon!

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Oh man, I can only imagine the pain! I'm gald it all went well...considering.
    I'd heard that smoking was bad for exposed tooth enamel, but I didn't know it could cause underlying bone loss. Yikes! That's awful!
    I hope you're healed up enough to enjoy Christmas dinner, and that the your new teeth are a smooth, comfortable fit!

• catalina_101
    18 years ago

I was also just thinking about turkey dinner...lol

Cena, what a trooper! Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

• foxykitten350234
    18 years ago

Cena, I had no idea you were having dental problems. My goodness, 20 teeth all at once! You poor girl. Take it easy and I hope you are feeling better soon. After all of this I think you deserve a plant shopping spree:)

Foxy.

• fishies
    18 years ago

Did they put you under for that, or was it just a local anesthetic? I couldn't imagine! You are one heckuva tough lady.

But, yeah, smoking is a nasty piece of dental business. I've been battling the gum-ickiness from smoking for a few years now, to avoid the very situation you're in. Of course, it hasn't actually stopped me from smoking... but I do floss more :)

Anyway, congrats on having this all taken care of. It must be such a relief.

Shelly

• Cena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, no. I didn't even think to suggest it... Silly me. It took 10 1/2 vials of Lidocain, and four vials of some stronger stuff. Which means I got about 25 shots into the interior of my mouth. I shared my joy of that with the entire office, probably made more than a few clients nervouse that day... By the time they got 90% of the top pulled, I could feel the bottom again. By the time they got the bottom out, the top was REALLY throbbing! Sheesh. But its done.

Nope, can't eat fudge. Being a diabetic on top of everything else, Sucks.

• fishies
    18 years ago

You know, Cena, in the end it might be just as well that you didn't get put under. I've heard that dentists are much less gentle when the patient isn't wide-eyed with fear and horror beneath the pliers. Although, ouff, that sounds painful. Super-trooper, lights are gonna find you shining like the sun.

Hey! And with a gleaming smile, too!

• Cena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Did I mention that I have convinced DH to let me 'desert landscape' the front lawn??? Based on the 'Bottle Tree' Brachychriton rupestris... So, I have lots of space for my plan(t)s.

So, quite torturing me with thoughts of whose hunting for me... I did mention that I have a spectacular imagination, and the 'bright lights on the plain field' are something I've ALWAYS been wary of!!!! So STOP IT.

Okay, I did mention that I'm on perscription drugs? Yes, well really that WOULD explain this. Trust me. I'm, well affected weirdly by chemicals.........

Geez, ANYway I can sell this???

Sheesh, Shelly. Nothing likes scaring the beJebeers out of someone!!! Thanks so very much. (I did mention I was on perscription pain meds, right?????)

Now, I see a place marked out for you, right over there! See, the corner spot?

terrorising poor matronly persons, who mind their own business, not involved in ANY terrorist/excess shopping/Over The Line behavior.... (please take the time to research Over The Line and such behavior for a Rude Awakening!)

sHEESH, Shelly.

• fishies
    18 years ago

LOL!

That's an ABBA song, you nut. :)

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Run for your lives, people!! It's ABBA!!!!!

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

You are the Dancing Queen, young and clean, wanting to vent your spleen

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hi all,

I agree, run for your life!

Larry

• fishies
    18 years ago

No need to get nasty, now. Don't you all go venting your frustrations on ABBA.

Hey! Did you guys know that the songwriter (I think it's the blond guy?) used to write most of his music while jogging? Sometimes when I listen to ABBA, I imagine that I'm jogging.... it's almost like I can ~hear~ when he's had to slow down and run on the spot for a "don't walk" sign :)

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hi Shelly,

Ok. I'll be nice. My wife likes ABBA. I don't know why. She even has a tape of them. The group does seem to have appeal to some people. Even people I respect. The rule about ABBA is that I need to be able to escape the room if the tape is being played. ;o)

Larry

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Oh Cena, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I hope the dentures become more comfortable quickly. :((((

I like that one song, Dancing Queen, by ABBA. What year was this song made? I want to say 70's or 80's, but I'm not sure.

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I think it was around '77--thereabouts.
    I'm just teasin', Shelly. The idea of ABBA inducing paranoia just seems so...incongruent.

I hope you're feeling better, Cena, and that the meds are behaving themselves now!

• Cena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oh, a song... yeah, yeah, I knew that...

Well, I am taking less of them, but I'm lots more grumpy. Loosing weight is good though.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hi Cena,

Sorry to hear abt this difficult & trying experience. Sounds like you & yr. meds are weathering it in true trooper fashion.

Hope they've suggested salt water gargles for ya, will definately soothe yr. gums & help speed yr. healing.

I had my 4 front teeth (upper) pulled the day of the NYC & tristate area Blackout (Aug. 14, 2 yrs. ago). I did it w/ general anesthesia tho' (ugly story as to why), but would NOT do it under a local. (Suffice it to say my reasons had to do w/ a prior experience a bit too personally reminiscent of Dr. Mengele.) Anyway, I had made it home w/ my sister's help & was just waking up from a lovely, codeine induced nap, when lo & behold my TV went poof, & then I saw that the electric clock had stopped as well & all was blacked out for 2 days after.

So I wear a partial (temporary) denture & I assure you it WILL get better w/ time, will become more comfy & easier eating. My only issues are (1) lots of $$ for my permanent replacement & (2) affected my speech a bit 'til the stitches came out & even sometime after. My "Ss" were kinda lispy for a while & I try not to talk on the phone w/out wearing the partial as my pronunciation gets a bit funky.

Best of luck in yr. recovery; I'll be sending healing, soothing thoughts your way. Don't let those meds make you do any REALLY crazy plant things Girl!

Warmly,

Karen

• fishies
    18 years ago

Hey, I remember that blackout! It hit us in Ontario, as well, since we're all on the same grid. It was weird, looking across the river to Québec, where they had power (they're on a different grid), and being in utter darkness ourselves. It was nasty in NYC, though, wasn't it? All those subways just instantly ~shut down.~ I remember the same problem in Toronto... and around rush hour, too, wasn't it?

• fishies
    18 years ago

Hey, I remember that blackout! It hit us in Ontario, as well, since we're all on the same grid. It was weird, looking across the river to Québec, where they had power (they're on a different grid), and being in utter darkness ourselves. It was nasty in NYC, though, wasn't it? All those subways just instantly ~shut down.~ I remember the same problem in Toronto... and around rush hour, too, wasn't it?

• karen715
    18 years ago

Oh Cena:

I haven't been back here in the conversations area for a while. Sorry for your ordeal, and I'm glad your weathering things in good spirits.

As someone who recently had surgery of a completely other kind, I join you in singing the praises of prescription drugs (without singing any ABBA). I didn't feel loopy, but suddenly everything DH said was hilarious.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths