Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Son got a betta fish as an early christmas gift...........

Posted by kaleanna z8 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 21:58

does anyone have one of these? best care for this fish? what type of plants can be put in with it that wont harm the fish?

Hugs

Meesh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Son got a betta fish as an early christmas gift...........

It has been a long time since I had one of those fish. All I can remember is they eat brine shrimp. You can get fresh or freeze dryed. As for plants...all I can tell you is the plastic ones didn't cause my fish any problems.lol I couldn't grow plants at the time I had the fish so I never checked into real plants. The other big fact I remember is you don't put two of those fish together~ hence their other name "siamese fighting fish". I'm just a wealth of knowledge on this subject...NOT.lol Good luck with the fish.

Foxy.

o
RE: Son got a betta fish as an early christmas gift...........

Hi
There is a lot of info on the internet on Betas
We only have one and when we first got it we had it in a 1 gallon fish bowl. The bowl needed to be changed every second day or it was filthy and it did not seem like it was 'happy'in there so after about a week or so I added it to our 20 gal tank. After a few days of hiding out, it is now thriving and actually playing with the other fish.
Betas aren't necessarily solitary creatures, you just can't have 2 males together but you can have male and female and they are compatibable with other similar size fish. The main worry is actually the betas flowing fins being attacked by others not vice versa. The same problem occurs with angel fish - those fins are tempting.
With our beta we have 1 angel fish, 4 black widow tetras and 4 mollies. They all get along great.

Most, but not all info I have read discourages the small decorative containers for the fish. They can survive in them but they are not ideal. The beta would actually prefer higher temps than you can achieve without a tank heater as well as more space.
Kind of like a lot of so called low light plants - they will survive in low light but they will thrive in more.

I am not an expert - just wanted to offer a little info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beta fish care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here