o
HAVE: Arrowhead Plant

Posted by michi81 Miami, FL Zone 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 23:06

Arrowhead Vine- (Syngonium podophyllum)
Common name: "White Butterfly" or "Arrowhead Plant"
Latin name: Syngonium species synonym Nephthytis
Native to: Man made
Growth habit: A full bushy plant usually 6" to 8" wider than it's container.
Flowers: No
Temps: Normal indoor temps
Humidity: Not critical.
Pests: Not affected by many pests. Watch for aphids.

This plant has large, arrow shaped leaves and comes in a variety of gorgeous colors, from bright green to a muted pink. They like bright, indirect light. Allow the soil surface to dry out before watering. A very easy houseplant to grow.Syngoniums (pronounced sin-go-nee-umz) are such interesting indoor plants they have earned several fun common names, including Arrowhead plants, Five-fingers, Nephthys (after the Egyptian & Greek mythological figure Nephthys, sister of Osiris) and Goosefoot. Some common names refer to the shape of the leaves at different stages of development. Grown as houseplants since at least 1881, they are closely related to the philodendron. Though the ancestors of these lovely plants from tropical Mexico and Central America were mostly plain green, there are new varieties with subtle shades of bronze and pink blushing onto the leaf blade from the region of the stem. Syngoniums look great grown alone or can add character to a mixed planting. They even make a good substitute for caladiums in the summer garden. Arrowhead plants will spill out of a hanging basket when they are young or climb a pole as they mature. As they mature the arrowhead shape of the leaves changes and lobes develop at the base of the leaves. The older the plant is, the more lobes the full-sized leaves will have. All green Syngoniums will tolerate medium to low light, but the variegated ones will lose their markings unless they have bright light or filtered sun. None of them likes to be exposed directly to the sun. Because the sap from Syngonium is an irritant, it will appear on lists of poisonous plants.
Here are some pictures of the ones I have..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Arrowhead Plant

Hello,
I would love a start of your arrowhead plant. My mom grew these when I was a little girl. I could trade you a clump of variegated cuban oregano. The clump would fill a 6" pot.If interested just let me know. Thanks, Darla

o

how many arrows do you have, send me an e one4everbigmama@yahoo.com

o

• Posted by michi81 Miami, FL Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 15:32

I have about 3 different types and I do have more cuttings available. Just let me know what you want to trade me for.

o

• Posted by michi81 Miami, FL Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 2, 08 at 15:31

I still have some cuttings available.

o

Would you do for postage?

o

I am interested please let me pay the postage and handling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here