Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princessasamuela

help me identify this plant

princessasamuela
9 years ago

It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney leaves, please help me identify it!

Comments (18)

• Sans2014
    9 years ago

pothos I believe. There seams to be a lot of light green to yellowish leaves so I"m not sure if it is a plain green or a neon pothos.

• larry_b
    9 years ago

I would say that it is a jade pothos.

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Epipremnum Aureum or Scindapsis Aureum, depending who you ask.

Devils Ivy or Pothos, depending who you ask.

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

This plant looks very healthy, so I'd be surprised if the yellow leaves are from over/underwatering. This might be the 'pothos' which has new leaves that are intense yellow, I believe the commercial name is Neon. The very bright yellow fades to a medium green as the leaf matures.

This is one of the vining aroids, and wants to climb a tree in order to flower. You probably see dormant nubs or aerial roots along the vine, and it uses these roots to fasten itself to the bark as it climbs the tree. As it climbs, the leaves will get larger and larger to over two feet long, and will develop splits in the edges and occasional holes in the interior of the leaf. These splits and holes prevent the leaf from being torn in the higher winds in tree canopies. In the higher light of the canopy, it will produce a spathe, or flower. Vining philodendrons, epipremnums and monsteras all behave this way, something I find very fascinating and interesting about these vining aroids.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but so many people don't realize the potential of philodendrons and 'pothos', they can be giants given the right conditions.

Russ, central Fla

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

Here is a Neon climbing a 4x4 in my old shadehouse, covered for the winter. Leaves are just over 6 in long but can reach over 2 ft and 18 in wide if it can climb high enough, which won't happen here. Splits and holes develop at the larger size. The color is muted because of lower winter light, in summer they would be intense yellow.

Sans2014, you picked up on the Neon ID initially, it would be interesting if princessasamuela would comment if her original plant had this intense yellow. Growing indoors may be muting color to medium green.

Russ

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Russ, your plant is Philodendron, not Epipremnum (Pothos.)

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

Hey Tiffany, good get!! Hand me a towel so I can wipe off the egg on my face. How did I miss that... You know, I was recently lamenting that I had lost my only yellow philo which was in a pot, when all the time this one was practically in my face.

Epipremnum Neon's are rambling all over the place, under benches, outside the shadehouse on the ground and climbing 4x4s. It's a weed. None have hit the oaks yet, but when they do they'll be going up like the green philo has (scandens? oxycardium?). Largest leaves are 6-7 inches long, as large as they ever get for me.

So ---- I'll go out and try to find a Neon that doesn't look crummy from the freezes I had a week ago, and post a pic.

Thanks! Russ

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

That was my impression too, Philodendron.

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

Thanks kids, keep me honest :)

Russ

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've heard wonderful things about the light green philodendrons. Something about them being better than neon pothos....but I'm better at philo than I am at epipre....culturally speaking.

Chickens are screaming cat. Gotta go do predator check.

I recently got a neon pothos, it's rooting pretty well. But no bright green philo. Just plain beautiful green.

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

I purchased a Neon Pothos just yesterday, my first one!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

That's a beautiful philo Russ.

...just sayin'. :)

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

Thanks 'Asleep'. It grew up the 4X4 by itself, a Neon pothos also grew up on the outside of another 4X4. I've had leaves of a variegated pothos climbing a bark slab reach over 2 feet long with holes and splits like a monstera deliciosa. Cool that philos and epiprem's do this, a wonder of nature. Epipremnum pinnatum has climbed at least 30 feet up a live oak behind the shadehouse, they're rambling over all the branches high in the tree. There's some regular philodendron hederaceum climbing up there as well. Hederaceum used to be scandens, oxycardium and some other names.

Although common, I like the philodendron cultivar 'Brazil', very colorful. I've wondered if it retains the variegation in climbing mode and at much larger leaf sizes.

I'll post some more pics.

Russ, central Fla

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's easier to get my phone to say "scandens" than hederaceum. I'll try to change my habits. 2009 was a long time ago (for me anyway!)

Can't wait for those pics. :)

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    8 years ago

I know what you mean, I wish the botanists would just leave it alone. If you say scandens or oxycardium, everyone will know what you're talking about. In fact, better than if you say hederaceum.

Not sure I get your mention of 2009, is that when they changed to hederaceum?

I like your sense of humor!! I was heading out with camera in hand to take some pics and a storm was rolling in with lightning cracking around me, so I came back in the house. Probably will do it manana.

Are you in Oklahoma? I spent three years in and around Oklahoma City some decades ago in the Air Force.

Russ

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

I too can't wait...this is going to be spectacular! =)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Lol, 2009 was when I got the plant in question and that's what they were saying was the official name at that moment in time.

Tbh, I don't really like the name hederaceum because it is very similar to Hedera helix which is a weed to most and it hurts my feelings for even a hint of an insult towards my favorite plant (we have history, this particular individual anyway lol)

Also, I know we all hate the taxonomy changes, but it's so fascinating when they finally figure something (of substance) out! It's like that in every hobby that involves creatures of this world. Reptiles, plants, fish.