Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_e_gw

Variegated Alocasia 'Black Velvet'

randy_e
17 years ago

Thought you all would like to see this...

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:67029}}

Comments (8)

• james_ny
    17 years ago

Thats a lot of varigation. Great looking plant.

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Wow that's pretty cool I've never seen a variegated one. I just checked out your personal site and can't believe how many variegated forms there are. That's a very impressive collection of plants you have there. How do you keep 500+ plants?

Let alone so many variegated plants! I only have two variegated succulents, an Aeonium and a Kalanchoe.

How did you get started collecting variegated plants?

• randy_e
    Original Author
    17 years ago

First of all my son Sherm helps a lot with the watering, weeding, etc. A lot of them are now planted in the ground in various landscaping areas.
    We kind of got into the variegated plants by accident when I first saw a variegated Monstera at a collectors garden in Daytona Beach. After that we were addicted.
    Randy

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

Well after seeing your collection I've started looking around for variegated plants when I got to the store. I almost picked up a variegated aloe today. It was almost all white but I left it behind because some of the leaves where broke. I may change my mind and go back for it.

Dunno if you already have it or are interested but there's someone trading variegated crinium lily in the plant exchange.

Do you mind if I link your site from my blog? The Google tool bar says your site has a 0 page ranking...there are a few simple things you could do to increase your page ranking on Google. If you want some free advice send me an e-mail.

MBT

• randy_e
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello MBT,
    Feel free to link my site from your blog but since I do the plants as a hobby a Google ranking doesn't really matter but I really do appreciate the offer for advice.
    Randy

• Cena
    17 years ago

Randy, that is just AWSOME. So good to see you and Sherm doing what ever it takes and making good of it. Wow, you should post your left-spring more often. So many people have NO IDEA of the variagation of plant life, let alone the specifics that you grow matter-of-fact. They are not, and you should ask us to help you to find the time to educate. (I have no idea what I just said, but I still feel strongly about the oddities that you English grow, and the bit that so few KNOW what you grow...) You have to have been around awhile to know that the English only grow~~~ oddities, variagates, sports, whities!

Randy, did you know you were a hero in some minds & hearts? Yep, your recent Fish Tale shows much to this effect.

• greenkat
    17 years ago

I was reasearching how to keep some standard Black Velvet from from going the direction others I've had in the past, to compost. Ran across this thread and those ARE gorgeous plants. Wasn't even aware there was a variegated variety. Hope to get my hands on one someday, all the more reason to get back to learning how to keep em alive.

Been a member for a few years here but rarely if ever posted so, hello all.........Kenny

• paul_
    17 years ago

That was a very nifty plant, Randy!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!