Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Cold weather brings out the color!

Cena
18 years ago

Usually this planter doesn't look that great until around Easter when the light gets stronger and longer, but I was noticing yesterday just how bright the colors are.

{{gwi:67551}}
{{gwi:67553}}

The cold is causing the orchids to bud, also. I should have nice flowers just in time for Christmas!

{{gwi:67555}}

Comments (9)

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hi Cena,

That is a wonderful succulent garden. I really like the colors.

Larry

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Those are really beautiful! I'd said I'd start to envy your climate around the end of January, but I think I'll start right after Christmas ;)

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Oh, Cena, that succulent dish is stunning! Rich colors that bring to mind a beautiful sun. What is the name of the yellow succ with red margins, kinda in the middle of the pot? It's a real looker!

GH

• Mentha
    18 years ago

oooh I almost got one of the tall woody ones yesterday, It sure is a beauty :) Love the orchids, can't wait to see blooms.

• Cena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, thank you!

Do you mean the one with thick red margins, or the one with thin red margins? Since they both seem to be near the center.

At 12 o'clock we have Aeonium hawarthia 'Pin Wheels'. Thin red margins.

One o'clock a plant we ID'd tentatively, but I would have to look for the id. The bell like blooms have a blue edge, a most spectacular plant!

2 & 3 are Sempervivens of some kind.

4, 4:30 is a Graptoveria of some type, perhaps a Graptopetalum.

The center plant is Echeveria 'Red Edge', a fine specimen. This one is about 4 years, maybe 5 in this pot. Thick red margins.

The next at 6 straight down is Sempervivens arachnoidea (?sp)

And the 10 o'clock position is Crassula 'Morgans Pink' as far as I know. It blooms about 3 times a year, and no, I have no conclusive ID to say it is MP.

There are a couple of crassulas tucked up under, but they hardly can be seen.

Let me know if there is a question about the specific plant you were asking about.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

oooh! i have a weakness for semps! i left all of mine with my mom when i moved to AZ--figured they'd be happier there.

is that orchid a cymbidium, cena? i fished one out of the trash at Trader Joe's--it was fine, just the bloom stalk was broken off and they figured they couldn't sell it, i guess. i read they like to have a cold spell so i left it outside this "winter."

-ming

• Cena
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep, cymbs do really well here. Its been getting down to 50* at night, and all of the larger ones are sending out bloom stalks. Since there are so many flowers on the stalk, this is another one that wants regular fert through out the year to preform when scheduled. Since I've got two out of five popping guess I managed that somewhat.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Well, my C. 'Pinkie' must be on strike this year. Shoot, I was really looking forward to seeing some flowers from it again this year. I'm jealous, also, of your success with succulents, they dislike my terrerium conditions about as much as the begonias like it.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I love that semp!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting